All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Miralax question
      #199884 - 07/27/05 09:30 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

ISOT but didn't find anything. Perhaps I didn't spend as much time as I should have, though.

Can Miralax be heated? I know you can add it to coffee or tea, which I assume is already hot. But I was wondering if I could mix it into the soymilk in my oat bran before I popped it in the microwave (for 2 1/2 minutes). Would this destroy the effectiveness of miralax?

Thanks!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Miralax question new
      #199918 - 07/27/05 09:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have no idea, but I have to say: Just when you think there are no more new questions to be asked...

I can't wait to hear the answers to this one.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#199973 - 07/27/05 10:55 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I honestly can't say for sure, but why don't you mix it in after it's been heated, just to be safe.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Rachel new
      #199998 - 07/27/05 11:29 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just curious...are you taking Miralax or an SFS? As you know, I am struggling.

wondering if the miralax works for you and if it causes bloat or gas after being on it for a while?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#200001 - 07/27/05 11:31 AM
Augie

Elizabeth, does Miralax cause you bloating? How long have you been on it now? Do you still take MOM and/or 2000 mg magnesium?

Are you sill taking xifin or whatever drug you were going to take?

In other words, what are you taking now? I've lost touch with you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Rachel new
      #200008 - 07/27/05 11:39 AM
RachelT

I actually stopped taking the Mirilax back in the earlier part of my pregnancy because I was having D... but I can tell you from personal experience, that I did have a little bloat at first, but it went away. Before I got pregnant, I was having at least 2 bm's a day... which is more like my "normal".

Oh yeah... no SFS for me either. I was taking Benefiber for a while and didn't see much of an improvement, so I tried Acacia. Out of the 2 times that I tried acacia, I realized that it made me retain water. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there's calcium in Acacia. For some reason my body does not tolerate any kind of calcium other than what's found in veggies.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by RachelT (07/27/05 11:44 AM)

#200017 - 07/27/05 11:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hmmm, can't say as I know for sure either! Good question! I guess maybe call the pharamcist?? I would say though to just add it in after your cereal comes out of the microwave to be for sure!

I still find it to be most effective when taken on an empty tummy BEFORE eating. If I have it with my breakfast, it sometimes doesn't work as well!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Why did you stop the miralax new
      #200034 - 07/27/05 12:13 PM
Augie

if it was helping?

What to you do to help you "go" now?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Why did you stop the miralax new
      #200089 - 07/27/05 01:45 PM
RachelT

I stopped it because it was causing me to have D. During pregnancy things tend to change a bit... I've had a few times where I've been C (mostly during huge hormonal changes) but other than that, consuming fruits, veggies and other fiber rich foods helps me to be regular. I'm sure once I have the baby though, my IBS will be in full swing, and I'll return to taking Mirilax every morning.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#200430 - 07/28/05 10:59 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

If I take a lot of miralax, I think it causes a bit of bloating. Right now I'm alternating 17g one day and 34g the next. It seems to be working pretty well.

I stopped taking the MOM/Magnesium pills because, through my insurance, I could get the miralax a bit cheaper. And it is easy to mix into my daily protein shakes, except for every once in a while when I don't have one. That's why I was wondering about mixing it into my oat bran in the mornings. I still have a few boxes of the Phillip's Magnesium pills left, though, and I plan to use them if I run out of miralax or if I'm on a trip.

I'm off of Xifaxin - it was a 10day treatment. I think it helped, after I got rid of all the C that built up from it.

I just got off of a really bad couple week stretch where it seemed like I was badly bloated constantly. I wracked (sp?) my brain to figure out what it was and came up with the fact that I'd been eating a whole lot of fruits and veggies, even though they were safely cooked/pureed. I think I'm just one of those people who can't handle a lot of IF. So, I've started eating my veggies at night and eating less fruit throughout the day (I'm now eating more fruit than veggies, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to bother me).

For example, yesterday I had some blueberry puree in my oatbran and some strawberry-plum puree in my applesauce in the afternoon. As far as veggies, I had half a sweet potato at night with an egg white omelette with a puree of mixed baby greens, asparagus & celery swirled in. I wish I could eat more veggies during the day, but I seem to be unable to handle it. I keep telling myself that it's ok, though, because I'm eating them before bed.

As far as meds go, I'm still taking a mix of Citrucel and Acacia, peppermint caps, and I just started VSL#3 yesterday. I hope that it will work. I'm not taking Zelnorm anymore because I saw no improvement with it and was wondering if it was somehow making things worse. I'm also keeping a spreadsheet and assigning my pain and bloat numbers from 1-5 for each morning and night, as well as how many calories I ate, how much fat, how much miralax, etc. I'm hoping to see a pattern.

But really, just drinking a whole bunch of fennel tea (I make a pot in my coffeemaker and try to drink at least 4 cups a day) and keeping the IF at night has made a huge difference. I've also cut out tomato products, which is sad, but seems to have helped.

HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Rachel, what other... new
      #200765 - 07/29/05 07:23 AM
Augie

fiber rich foods are you eating? And can you eat fruits with peels?

I'm trying to relieve the constipation by diet, but having a hard time with the white products...yet I'm having pain too. So, I don't know how to get rid of the C without making the pain worse by causing it to spaz out!

Any suggestions on foods that help you?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Rachel, what other... new
      #200989 - 07/29/05 06:47 PM
RachelT

Hi Beth...

I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what I ate before I was pregnant, but I do recall being able to eat apples with the peel on. My biggest trigger has always been dairy, so as long as I avoided that, I was pretty much ok. I've also noticed that the more I ate IF, the better off I was as long as it followed a good SF base. The best decision I ever made though, was to take the Mirilax. With that in my system I was able to get more stable, which allowed me to figure out my triggers.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Were you able to eat.. new
      #200992 - 07/29/05 06:51 PM
Augie

wheat bread and brown rice....more of the whole grain type foods? Or something like shredded wheat?

Maybe it's time to try Mirialax again. I gave it up after a week. I hated it.

thanks for your help.

--------------------
~ Beth

#294442 - 12/22/06 09:53 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

If I take a lot of miralax, I think it causes a bit of bloating. Right now I'm alternating 17g one day and 34g the next. It seems to be working pretty well.

I stopped taking the MOM/Magnesium pills because, through my insurance, I could get the miralax a bit cheaper. And it is easy to mix into my daily protein shakes, except for every once in a while when I don't have one. That's why I was wondering about mixing it into my oat bran in the mornings. I still have a few boxes of the Phillip's Magnesium pills left, though, and I plan to use them if I run out of miralax or if I'm on a trip.

I'm off of Xifaxin - it was a 10day treatment. I think it helped, after I got rid of all the C that built up from it.

I just got off of a really bad couple week stretch where it seemed like I was badly bloated constantly. I wracked (sp?) my brain to figure out what it was and came up with the fact that I'd been eating a whole lot of fruits and veggies, even though they were safely cooked/pureed. I think I'm just one of those people who can't handle a lot of IF. So, I've started eating my veggies at night and eating less fruit throughout the day (I'm now eating more fruit than veggies, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to bother me).

For example, yesterday I had some blueberry puree in my oatbran and some strawberry-plum puree in my applesauce in the afternoon. As far as veggies, I had half a sweet potato at night with an egg white omelette with a puree of mixed baby greens, asparagus & celery swirled in. I wish I could eat more veggies during the day, but I seem to be unable to handle it. I keep telling myself that it's ok, though, because I'm eating them before bed.

As far as meds go, I'm still taking a mix of Citrucel and Acacia, peppermint caps, and I just started VSL#3 yesterday. I hope that it will work. I'm not taking Zelnorm anymore because I saw no improvement with it and was wondering if it was somehow making things worse. I'm also keeping a spreadsheet and assigning my pain and bloat numbers from 1-5 for each morning and night, as well as how many calories I ate, how much fat, how much miralax, etc. I'm hoping to see a pattern.

But really, just drinking a whole bunch of fennel tea (I make a pot in my coffeemaker and try to drink at least 4 cups a day) and keeping the IF at night has made a huge difference. I've also cut out tomato products, which is sad, but seems to have helped.

HTH!

This is interesting, are you IBS-C?
You seem to suffer from the same problems as me.
I have not seen many posts from you in recent months, but if so, have you improved?
What has worked?

You know people keep telling me about fennel tea, I hate tea, can you get the same benefit from fennel seeds, and if so, is it really different from peppermint?
I tried that and it did not do much, nor did organic tea.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294566 - 12/25/06 11:38 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review