All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten?
      #199698 - 07/26/05 10:09 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

HELP...I'm so frustrated. I was recently at the health food store picking up a few things and the woman there said that since i have IBS I should be gluten free.

How many others are gluten free? I've been trying it and I still have problems...
bloating a lot especially at night, starting after two thirty pm every day no MATTER what I eat,. WHY - OH WHY. This just doesn't make sense!! I'm usually really normal in the AM.

How does one know if they are gluten intolerant, should I be tested? I have tested Neg. for celiac.

Someone please help...

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten? new
      #199710 - 07/26/05 10:58 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've tested both negative for gluten intolerance and Coeliac. I'm on a GF diet at the moment. To be honest I don't know that it's helping me that much. A little maybe. I don't get the same cramps post bread and it's stopped the constant D (made me a little C to be honest) but otherwise I haven't noticed much change in the severity of my pain. I don't think we all need to be GF, just some of us who are sensitive to it. Do you feel worse after eating a piece of bread or having a bowl of pasta? How long have you been eating GF? And are you sure you've cut out ALL gluten (I've found it in the strangest things!)? Get back to me and I'll see if I can help out a little more.

--------------------
Amy

IBS does NOT = gluten sensitive! new
      #199722 - 07/27/05 04:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That woman was talking b******s!

Gluten intolerance is a separate issue. Doing an elimination diet is a good test, but very difficult as gluten is in so many weird things.

#199823 - 07/27/05 08:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Have you tried Heather's diet? If your doctor said you have IBS and didn't say you are gluten sensitive, I'd give Heather a try. Also, from what I read on the Boards, bloating is a tough symptom to get rid of. A lot of people swear by fennel tea.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#200226 - 07/27/05 09:35 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

HI! Thanks for the response. I don't feel worse after eating pasta or bread that I can think of (LATELY EVERYTHING at night has been bothering me...ah!. I was told that the gluten actually destroys the tiny fibers that line the stomach which prohibits one from digesting others food types (ie dairy).

Has any one insisted with their doctor that they actually be tested for lactose intolerance and/or gluten sensitivity? If so have they tested neg but still unable to eat it due to the IBS? I guess the lactose Intol. and gluten Sensitivity can be a seperate issue along with the IBS. Why is it that us IBS'ers can not eat ALL these food items?

Is there anyone else out there that only gets bloated in the afternoon?

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Re: IBS does NOT = gluten sensitive! new
      #200242 - 07/27/05 10:27 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I agree! Two completely separate conditions. If you haven't had problems with gluten, don't cut it out of your diet. Lots of soluble fiber contains gluten and you NEED lots of soluble fiber.

#200274 - 07/28/05 06:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Has any one insisted with their doctor that they actually be tested for lactose intolerance and/or gluten sensitivity? If so have they tested neg but still unable to eat it due to the IBS? I guess the lactose Intol. and gluten Sensitivity can be a seperate issue along with the IBS. Why is it that us IBS'ers can not eat ALL these food items?

IBSers can eat gluten - gluten sensitivity is a separate condition from IBS. You can have one or the other or both, but IBS itself does not mean you cannot eat gluten.

Lactose intolerance is also a separate issue. You can have lactose intolerance or IBS or both. Regardless of whether you're lactose intolerant or not, if you have IBS you should avoid dairy.

As for your bigger question about why IBSers can't eat certain items, you need to read Heather's books and/or the info on this Website outside the Boards for a full explanation of why trigger foods - like dairy - are so bad for IBS.

And the whole thing about gluten destroying tiny fibers in the intestine - I'm not an expert on gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, but from what I've managed to pick up, it sounds to me that that's what your health store clerk was trying to sort of maybe kind of describe. That is NOT what IBS is.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#200376 - 07/28/05 09:50 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just remember, the lady at the HFS is trying to get you to buy the expensive GF bread and products. They are 3 times the price of regular food. So, she may have a vested interest in this.

Having said that, I have heard from one of my former doctors that eating GF can help some people with IBS because rice flours are easier to digest than wheat flours, even if it is not whole wheat. I read where Rice is the only grain that does not cause gas production of any degree.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review