All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
supplements that really make a difference???
      #199658 - 07/26/05 06:46 PM
Chickadee

Reged: 11/02/04
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Hi, Everyone,
I drink peppermint tea for pain relief, and find it helpful. I've been wondering about other possible supplements. I'm thinking about trying digestive enzymes and/or an acidophilus supplement. Can anyone tell me if taking these have made a definite improvement in their IBS symptoms, or do you just take them for general good digestive health? Is there anything else in the health food store that has made a noticeable change for you?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

SFS - acacia for me. It's made a huge difference. -nt- new
      #199709 - 07/26/05 10:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

PSOT... new
      #199723 - 07/27/05 04:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and I agree with Sand.

Re: supplements that really make a difference??? new
      #199758 - 07/27/05 06:25 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I take Natrol brand BioBeads Acidophilus Complex every morning before breakfast. Biobeads (and others on the market) are in a shell that protects the probiotics from dissolving until they reach your intestine, where it is really needed.

I find this an important part of the whole routine of high fiber, low fat,etc.

It has been found that peole with IBS and other intestinal disorders are lacking in the natural flora that acidophilus complexes are a part of.

I am one that wants to know the causes and try to eliminate the reasons for my IBS, not just to control it and the acidophilus has been an important part of my improvement.

Everyone is different, so good luck to your search,
Barb

Re: SFS - acacia for me. It's made a huge difference. -nt- new
      #199761 - 07/27/05 06:31 AM
Barbara Lynn

and I agree also, Acacia fiber twice a day (lunch and dinner for me) and ground flax seed for breakfast with oatmeal. Work up to 2 tbsp. flax like you do with Acacia. A good source of soluble fiber.

........and peppermint caps2-3 times a day!

I thought flax was an IF source? - nt new
      #199773 - 07/27/05 07:04 AM
Linz

#199794 - 07/27/05 07:44 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I also take Natrol Biobeads - I find they really made a huge difference for me. I also take their enzymes and I think they help a little - though not as much. The fiber and diet are the biggest helps. I use Citrucel for my fiber.

I also use Natrol Bio Beads and Acacia fiber - nt - new
      #199799 - 07/27/05 07:52 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

#199824 - 07/27/05 08:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Acacia was the first supplement I added. VERY SLOWLY. Made all the difference to me! I carefully researched this site and many other health food sites and slowly added the following based on my body's needs: (I'm C predominant) calcium/mag supplement, Jarrodophilus EPS, Super Omega 3-6-9. I added them one at a time and gave each one about 2 months for effect before adding another. I tried the enzymes, but stopped because it affected my bc pills. After almost 18 months, I'm nearly stable again as long as I get plenty of sleep and avoid stress.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: I thought flax was an IF source? Yes, but ... new
      #199857 - 07/27/05 08:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It looks like flax has both SF and IF. However, given the 1/2 ratio of SF to IF, I would emphatically NOT consider it an SFS like acacia. Here are some links I found:

http://ibsgroup.org/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/80510261/m/279104641 (Check out the author!)

http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQs/fiber-for-lowcarbers.html (Key quote: "Remember that flax seeds must be crushed or ground to get at both the soluble fiber and the beneficial oil -- otherwise they are just relatively large particles of insoluble fiber." (Emphasis mine.))

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/print.cfm?aid=1706 (One quote: "flaxseed's fiber is one-third soluble and two-thirds insoluble")

Who knew?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks Sand! new
      #200044 - 07/27/05 12:25 PM
Linz

I thought she was talking nonsense.

Re: I thought flax was an IF source? Yes, but ... new
      #200070 - 07/27/05 01:11 PM
Barbara Lynn

Sorry and thanks for correcting me. A good source of fiber is what I said in my second posting. I should have edited the first.

Re: Thank you everyone who responded!!! new
      #200736 - 07/29/05 04:41 AM
Chickadee

Reged: 11/02/04
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

I already take a fiber supplement, too, but you've given me some new ideas to try.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Chickadee

Let see...first, Karyash I love your pic new
      #200916 - 07/29/05 01:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

it's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Supplements for IBS or things I do naturally?

I use a juicer. Daily. If I don't my C comes back with a VENGEANCE!

I so aromatherapy for my IBS...no JOKE! LOL It is soooo relaxing and it def. helps me with pain. I also use peppermint oil on a washcloth and apply it to painful areas. Or put some in a bath...ahhhh!

I find that people who are D notice benefit from taking extra calcium and I know my C is better when I get extra magnesium (I am mostly C but I DO get D several times a year!)

Deep breaths REALLY help me with nausea and yoga REALLY helps with the pain and gas...

If I think of anything else I'll let you know...please let us know what you find help YOU as well, thanks for the post!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Juicer question new
      #200950 - 07/29/05 03:03 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hey Ruchie, I have always wanted to get a juicer, just because I know it would be a healthy way to get all the nutrients I need....and I LOVE juice, but hate all the additives and HFCS that come in store-bought juice. I just never wanted to spend the $$, AND I thought juicing would take too much time. Your thoughts?? What kind of juice do you make that helps with your C? I never thought that would be an added benefit.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: Juicer question new
      #201000 - 07/29/05 07:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hehe. Do a search re: "Green Apple Juice," if you're looking for a C cure.

Kate, IBS-D.

Bamagrl? new
      #211275 - 09/06/05 11:22 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How many Jarro probiotics do you take a day? I was doing some research and Shanna said she took 2 in am and 2 in the pm. Do you take 4 a day as well?

I only take 2 but maybe 4 is needed?

One a day - in the morning on an empty stomach. - nt- new
      #211322 - 09/06/05 01:28 PM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Can you drink it with hot tea? new
      #211327 - 09/06/05 01:42 PM
Cyndy

I've also heard that it should not be taken with hot liquid because it kills the live cultures.

Thanks for you input. That's such a with range...from 1 a day to 4. This whole thing is confusing.

Re: Can you drink it with hot tea? new
      #211332 - 09/06/05 01:51 PM
bamagirl

I take my Jarrodopholis EPS with my 5-htp and b-6 with a glass of tap water first thing in the morning. I don't know anything about the hot/cold issue as there is no notation of this on the box. I was taking it in the evening just before supper, but wanted to see if the total empty stomach made a difference. So far, I've noted no huge difference, but decided to add it to my other empty stomach supplements since it was recommeded.

I think my biggest benefit still to date is that my sinuses are SOOOOO much better!! I used to take decongestants like candy and now....NEVER. (well, I did have a small cold last week, but I took antihistamines for the drip - no severe congestion even then) Since I'm pretty stable now on just the one a day, I'm not messing with my dose.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

What does 5-htp do for tummies?-nt new
      #211334 - 09/06/05 02:06 PM
Cyndy

Re: Bamagrl? new
      #211347 - 09/06/05 02:31 PM
Barbara Lynn

I don't know why this is emailed as under a thread I started (I don't think I really understand how this msg. brd. stuff works, because I just got a whole lot of follow up email on a thread I started a long time ago), but I take Natrol Biobeads once a day. (........and loads of fiber morning, noon and night.) I find the fiber the most important thing! Acacia fiber in particular, although I am finding that Citracell works good too.

As far as the probiotic, you need to make sure it is stable and doesn't need to be refrigerated and doesn't dissolve until it hits your intestines. Stomach is not good. The benefits will be gone by the time it hit your intestines.

Sorry if I'm being repetitive, but I don't have the time to look through all the other responses and I got 6 emails to an old posting today.

Barb

Re: What does 5-htp do for tummies?-nt new
      #211466 - 09/07/05 06:18 AM
bamagirl

I take 5-htp for my PMS. It increases the amount of seratonin in the blood stream (similar effect but different method as a SRI drug like Prozac) and keeps me calmer. My PMS is off the charts, and I really don't want to take an antidepressant unless I have to. The 5-htp has helped tremendously (I take 100mg a day) with the PMS and my general stress level..which probably helps my IBS because stress is my biggest trigger!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thanks! new
      #211467 - 09/07/05 06:20 AM
bamagirl

Jarrodophilus is enteric coated and room stable just like the biobeads. Thanks for the good information though! It is important that your probiotic have those features for best effectivness!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Here's what saves my life: new
      #211547 - 09/07/05 11:32 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I take a really strong probiotic every day, and that cuts down on D,C and pain and bloating.That's my biggest lifesaver. I take an SFS every day if I can, and I am now using Maalox for GERD and gas. It has an anti gas and works fast. i love it.It's chewable too.

That's what i swear by. A few weeks ago, I was in the hospital because I didn't use this all. I'm back to GREAT with them now in my system. I can even get away with a bit of dairy without a massive D attack or agony. IF that doesn't say it works, I don't know what can.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Here's what saves my life: new
      #211692 - 09/08/05 06:57 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

I take a really strong probiotic every day, and that cuts down on D,C and pain and bloating.That's my biggest lifesaver. I take an SFS every day if I can, and I am now using Maalox for GERD and gas. It has an anti gas and works fast. i love it.It's chewable too.

What probiotic do you take?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: What does 5-htp do for tummies?-nt new
      #211755 - 09/08/05 10:40 AM
Barbara Lynn

I did some studying on Zelnorm (and this is only what I could put together and what I personally have done). I hope this is of some use.

Zelnorm (the drug my Dr. wanted me to take at $$$/mo) has a lot to do with serotonin levels. 5-HTP is a precursor to Serotonin and helps make serotonin in your body. So after much research on the internet (do a Google search for 5-HTP information, which incidently is mostly info trying to sell products, so beware), I decided to try taking the 5-HTP mainly because of insomnia and high stress levels. 5-HTP is considered mainly for depression, aniety, sleep disorders in most of the research sites.

In my research I did run across one site (which I didn't bookmark and can't seem to find again) that mentioned 5-HTP in possible intestinal disorders but also said that not much research has been done in that area. But this would figure if you consider the formula of the drug Zelnorm.

So after taking 5-HTP for 3 mos. I settled on a dose of every other night. Every night makes me lose too much weight (another effect of 5-HTP). I stay pretty stable weight wise at this dose, at least at this point.

I'm still not real sure of the benefits or not, but overall I have been doing a whole lot better this summer. One site suggested 30 days for full results.

One site for a quick review of 5-HTP is http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/5htp_myth.htm

I asked my Dr. about 5-HTP, but I never got much of an answer. I would suggest discussing it with your Dr. or at least look into it on the web before you try it.

I am going to discontinure the use of it down the road a little, and see if I was just getting better through diet, etc., or if it has something to do with my well being.

Hope this is of some use,
Barb

Bamagrl? new
      #213652 - 09/15/05 12:24 PM
Cyndy

Did you notice any difference when you stopped your digestive enzymes? Do you think they helped you...or at least in the beginning as you became stable?

Do you think you feel a difference now without them?

I just don't know if I should pay money for them if they don't do anything.

Thanks for your patience.

Does the Jarrow help your tummy as well as your sinuses?nt new
      #213653 - 09/15/05 12:25 PM
Cyndy

#213657 - 09/15/05 12:38 PM
bamagirl

Not a problem! Enzymes were something I started at the exact same time as my probiotic. This was the only time I did two supplements at once. I found out about the conflict between my BC pills and enzymes at a female check-up so immediately left them off. I didn't notice a lot of difference at the time.

However, the other day, I ate something I shouldn't have (BBQ pork, stew and cole slaw...I was really bad!) and, of course, was really hurting later. I still have some enzymes on hand, so I took one thinking it might help digest the tons of meat I'd consumed. I think it helped. Sooooo, it is possible and probably was helpful and would continue to be helpful if I took them regularly. But right now the effectiveness of my BC pills outweighs my desire to take enzymes.

You can order quality enzymes from iherb.com rather inexpensively. That is where I bought mine. Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Yes, I think so because I can tell a difference when I leave them off. new
      #213658 - 09/15/05 12:39 PM
bamagirl

However, I don't think taking more than one a day would make a huge difference. For me, the one a day seems to work.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#213660 - 09/15/05 12:46 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

BC Pills question: Which enzymes were you taking that interfered with the pill's effectiveness? My multivitamin has protease, lypase, amylase and cellulase in it, and you've mad me nervous! Thanks for any information.

Sorry to be nerve wracking! new
      #213664 - 09/15/05 01:23 PM
bamagirl

I was taking Source Naturals Essential Enzymes. It has several types in it, but right now, I don't recall exact amounts. I haven't taken them in several months.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3999 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review