All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
supplements that really make a difference???
      #199658 - 07/26/05 06:46 PM
Chickadee

Reged: 11/02/04
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Hi, Everyone,
I drink peppermint tea for pain relief, and find it helpful. I've been wondering about other possible supplements. I'm thinking about trying digestive enzymes and/or an acidophilus supplement. Can anyone tell me if taking these have made a definite improvement in their IBS symptoms, or do you just take them for general good digestive health? Is there anything else in the health food store that has made a noticeable change for you?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

SFS - acacia for me. It's made a huge difference. -nt- new
      #199709 - 07/26/05 10:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

PSOT... new
      #199723 - 07/27/05 04:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and I agree with Sand.

Re: supplements that really make a difference??? new
      #199758 - 07/27/05 06:25 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I take Natrol brand BioBeads Acidophilus Complex every morning before breakfast. Biobeads (and others on the market) are in a shell that protects the probiotics from dissolving until they reach your intestine, where it is really needed.

I find this an important part of the whole routine of high fiber, low fat,etc.

It has been found that peole with IBS and other intestinal disorders are lacking in the natural flora that acidophilus complexes are a part of.

I am one that wants to know the causes and try to eliminate the reasons for my IBS, not just to control it and the acidophilus has been an important part of my improvement.

Everyone is different, so good luck to your search,
Barb

Re: SFS - acacia for me. It's made a huge difference. -nt- new
      #199761 - 07/27/05 06:31 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

and I agree also, Acacia fiber twice a day (lunch and dinner for me) and ground flax seed for breakfast with oatmeal. Work up to 2 tbsp. flax like you do with Acacia. A good source of soluble fiber.

........and peppermint caps2-3 times a day!

I thought flax was an IF source? - nt new
      #199773 - 07/27/05 07:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#199794 - 07/27/05 07:44 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I also take Natrol Biobeads - I find they really made a huge difference for me. I also take their enzymes and I think they help a little - though not as much. The fiber and diet are the biggest helps. I use Citrucel for my fiber.

I also use Natrol Bio Beads and Acacia fiber - nt - new
      #199799 - 07/27/05 07:52 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

#199824 - 07/27/05 08:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Acacia was the first supplement I added. VERY SLOWLY. Made all the difference to me! I carefully researched this site and many other health food sites and slowly added the following based on my body's needs: (I'm C predominant) calcium/mag supplement, Jarrodophilus EPS, Super Omega 3-6-9. I added them one at a time and gave each one about 2 months for effect before adding another. I tried the enzymes, but stopped because it affected my bc pills. After almost 18 months, I'm nearly stable again as long as I get plenty of sleep and avoid stress.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: I thought flax was an IF source? Yes, but ... new
      #199857 - 07/27/05 08:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It looks like flax has both SF and IF. However, given the 1/2 ratio of SF to IF, I would emphatically NOT consider it an SFS like acacia. Here are some links I found:

http://ibsgroup.org/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/80510261/m/279104641 (Check out the author!)

http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQs/fiber-for-lowcarbers.html (Key quote: "Remember that flax seeds must be crushed or ground to get at both the soluble fiber and the beneficial oil -- otherwise they are just relatively large particles of insoluble fiber." (Emphasis mine.))

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/print.cfm?aid=1706 (One quote: "flaxseed's fiber is one-third soluble and two-thirds insoluble")

Who knew?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review