All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Flax seed - soluble or insoluble? (m) new
      #199864 - 07/27/05 09:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do not think flax seed is pure soluble fiber unless the husk is removed. Please take a look at this recent post of mine for some references.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what is everyones safest breakfast? new
      #199889 - 07/27/05 09:34 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I eat a 1/2 cup of oatbran cooked with 1 1/2 cups of lite soymilk. Sometimes I add fresh blueberry puree, other times I just add cinnamon & brown sugar. It's fantastic.

Oat bran does have a high amount of fiber in it, though, and I'm sure most of it is IF. I'm super, super sensitive to IF, but this doesn't seem to bother me at all. Odd...

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Elizabeth new
      #199902 - 07/27/05 09:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

The box I saw stated 3 grams SF and 3 grams IF per serving. So, while it is high fiber, the ratio is the same as oatmeal...half and half. There's more SF in it than you think!

Why did you choose this over oatmeal? For the higher fiber content? I have some, but I'm too scared to eat it due to bloating possibility with this much fiber in the am! Especially since I like to add cooked blueberries or other fruit and flax (1 Tablespoon) to my hot cereals.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Another pre-breakfast person ... new
      #199922 - 07/27/05 10:00 AM
Sand

or, as I prefer to call it, First Breakfast. Mine is 1/2 cup of applesauce with 1 teaspoon of acacia in it, along with a cup of hot tea. Like AtomicRose, eating anything more "real" than that on an empty stomach will almost always trigger D.

Also, even after my pre-breakfast, I do not tolerate fat as well in the morning as I do later in the day. So, for example, I can eat a piece of Heather's Zucchini Bread for Second Breakfast, but not a piece of her Pumpkin Apple Spice bread. I can also eat a plain bagel with just a thin scraping of Smart Balance Light or a muffin from the Recipe Board or Kree's Super Low Fat Pancakes - anything where the fat level is low and the soluble fiber is very high.

If I'm having an unstable morning, I'll eat the applesauce, then just stick to dry SF cereal - Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Sugar Pops - or plain bread until I get a fair amount of food in my stomach.

Just for the record and for Newbies Who May Be Confused (NWMBC) (and because I'm suddenly feeling very tired): pork bacon, dairy, egg yolks, regular coffee, and decaf coffee are not considered IBS-safe on Heather's diet.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Flax seed - soluble or insoluble? (m) new
      #199944 - 07/27/05 10:34 AM
Fitchick

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Naples, FL USA

soluble or insoluble?

What is the difference, and how do they affect IBS or Crohns?

#199983 - 07/27/05 11:07 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

Weekdays: Vans Wheat Free Waffles, usaually cinnamon apple or blueberry flavor. Or a bowl of Cherrios with rice milk.

Weekends: I'll make scrambled egg whites and turkey bacon, pancakes or french toast with a couple slices of oranges on the side.

Good point new
      #199987 - 07/27/05 11:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am amazed at the amount of people listing coffee as their "safe" usual breakfast...even when they aren't stable. Maybe some of you should at least consider removing it from your diet...just to see how you do?

Not lecturing, just something to think about. Unless you are stable, everything, especialy Heathers definite, absolute no no's should be off limits. Just my humble bit of advice for anyone who might be helped by it.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Soluble versus Insoluble - Back To Basics (m) new
      #200026 - 07/27/05 12:02 PM
Sand

Soluble versus insoluble fiber is really Heather-IBS 101 and way beyond the scope of a quick Q&A. Read the links that are prerequisites for posting on this Board for an explanation. You can see them on the Main Message Boards page right below the name of this Board in the left-hand column of the grid (if you can't find them, please say so). Also, the sticky posts at the top of page 1 of this Board have still more basic info.

For questions about Crohn's rather than IBS, you might do better on the Crohn's and Colitis Board.

HTH.

--------------------

Edited by Sand (07/27/05 12:16 PM)

Isn't IBS weird? new
      #200037 - 07/27/05 12:17 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If I don't get some SF in me almost as soon as I get up, I do badly!

#200068 - 07/27/05 01:08 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I'm sorry and you're right. It's a good source of soluble fiber and Omega 3's, but it's only about 1/3 soluble as someone else pointed out.

My package says soluble fiber source and 8 grams/2 tbsp.

My mind must have been on Acacia and writing about something else. I didn't mean to "talk nonsense". Sorry again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 676 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36091

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review