All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
frozen foods?
      #198969 - 07/24/05 12:42 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

Ok, this may be a dumb question. What fresh veggies can you put into the freezer and which will turn into total mush? I say this because I buy fresh veggies (I know i could buy frozen) and they seem to go bad so fast!! Mushrooms, squash, beets, carrots are the main ones i eat. What can a ziplock and store in the freezer if any? When i was younger and could eat such things, i put lettuce into the freezer and when i unthawed it, it liquified!!!!! (hey, i was young! Total surprize to me! Just dont want it to happen again! )

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: frozen foods? new
      #198977 - 07/24/05 01:45 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Maikko!

Re: freezing veggies

Veggies need to be cooked or at least parboiled prior to freezing. After doing so, store in zip lock freezer bags. Often, I cook/puree in batches and freeze in tupperware containers (in single serving sizes, too!). Just steam it and then cool and then store. Often I over-buy! So, instead of wasting it I freeze it, too.

Fruit, however, doesn't require cooking to freeze. I often buy stuff that's a wicked price and freeze. (Stuff that at certain times of year is cheaper fresh than frozen, especially my beloved berries). I lay them out on cookie sheets and freeze them individually prior to storing in ziplock freezer bags. (I've got a batch of strawberries in the freezer as I write!)

Best wishes,
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: frozen foods/guide new
      #198981 - 07/24/05 02:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Me again, Maikko. I looked up a quick chart for your reference, but basically it's just blanching/parboiling and an ice bath, prior to freezing veggies.
See: http://gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/freezing.htm

Hope it's helpful,
Kate, IBS-D.

Awesome website Kate.. thanks! -nt- new
      #199023 - 07/24/05 09:37 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Re: frozen foods? new
      #199027 - 07/25/05 12:52 AM
HL33

Reged: 06/12/05
Loc: Essex, UK

If you are going to be eating the veg within 3 months you don't need to blanch them, we used to do the blanching thing with everything until I read in a good book that you only need to blanch things that you are going to store over that time, since then a quick wash & straight into the freezer & have had no probs at all
Helen

Just out of sheer curiosity ... new
      #199114 - 07/25/05 12:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

why don't you buy frozen?

I have a friend whose theory is that the best produce no longer goes to supermarkets fresh, it goes to canners and freezers. I have to say I'm inclined to agree with her when I realize I haven't had a really good fresh peach in about 4 years.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Just out of sheer curiosity ... new
      #199145 - 07/25/05 12:47 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I cant eat any green veggies, and the frozen veggies here i always see are something in that family, or corn, or mixed (which i hate) Its hard to find a decent frozen mushroom (they end up spongelike after thatwing i find) and the carrots taste funny (maybe i'm picky ) And frozen sqash or beets are hard to come by. I do use canned beets though. Also, typically i prefer to by organic (easier on my tummy) I do buy organic veggie babyfood though!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Re: Just out of sheer curiosity ... new
      #199158 - 07/25/05 01:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Oh, makes sense. I can see where frozen mushrooms would be a little strange. I buy baby carrots and they seem to keep forever in the refrigerator.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

maikko new
      #199223 - 07/25/05 02:47 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

how do you get your IF if all your veggies are SF? Don't you get constipated?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review