All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Airline Pilot: needs help new
      #20113 - 09/09/03 05:28 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've just come across something in my cupboard and thought of you! It's by Thai Kitchen and it's their Noodle Cart line of rice noodles and sauce. It comes in a bowl, with a fork and only uses hot water. I got these at World Market I think, or at my local health food store. They're good and low fat AND they don't use MSG. Sounds perfect for you to carry with you on flights.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#357988 - 04/23/10 05:50 PM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

It has been a very long time since I posted here and am sorry to have been gone so long. Life just gets in the way. Just not enough time in the day. Shortly after my last post here I built my own house by hand with my wife's help, had a boy, sold the house we built to buy another one that was partly finished, had another boy this past january, plus joined two other forums,(one, Yoda, A Star Wars forum that I am admin on). Poor excuses for letting my diet slide. I still don't have much time to surf but will try to be a bit more active to encourage my refound diet.

I would like to thank you all for the support and advice you gave me almost 7 years ago, especially you Heather. It really helped. I went on a strick diet and lost about 25 lbs in 3-4 months. OF course the years went on and I started to add things back in to my diet. For the most part I didn't have any episodes. Six months after that severe attack in september, I have to say I never felt healthier in my life. Now not so much. I should have stayed with the plan. Today I had a severe episode that lasted for about 45 minutes and was leaning on a vomiting attack too. I am guessing it was the Honey Nut Cheerios. They don't bother me that I know but after a quick google search I have seen many people complain about my same symptoms. It was a bad hotel with no good breakfast options.

I'm going back on the diet full time this time.

--------------------
Luke
<><

#358000 - 04/24/10 07:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome back. (Although I'm sorry your IBS is such that you had to return.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358003 - 04/24/10 09:56 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello Luke:

Your situation is definitely challenging, but not insurmountable. I was involved in a long-distance relationship for 10 years, flying back and forth Toronto to California and I had to deal with the same type of issues as you.

I was lucky though to have access to "safe" food sources at each end. You, on the other hand, go away for days at a time and are at the mercy of restaurant and hotel food. This is very tough because, with IBS, you need to have much of your food special made.

Here are some things you will need for your journeys:

- lunch cooler (soft, insulated)
- to keep food like packed sandwiches cool you will need to take frozen packs of peas or frozen food of some sort that is safe to take into other countries (you can't carry frozen ice packs because of restrictions carrying liquids onboard flights)

IBS-safe snacks with long shelf life that don't require refridgeration:

- Kettle baked potato chips salted (contains only potatoes, oil and salt, no additives)
- Yehuda matzoh (check ingredients ... buy the one that contains only flour and water ... matzoh great substitute for crackers that contains IBS-unsafe additives)
- Nature's Path organic instant hot oatmeal original (ingrediants are rolled oats and sea salt only, no additives)

IBS-SAFE DRINKS:

- peppermint tea, chamomile tea and fennel tea are the only safe herbal teas
- cranberry juice containing no additives (for example, don't drink Ocean Spray, that stuff is garbage)
-bottled spring water (stay away from non-spring water like Dasani)

Some of the foods you are consuming now (Corned Flakes, Lipton sweetened iced lemon tea decaf, etc.) will severely aggravate your IBS.

If you want more info, e-mail me at belinda958@yahoo.ca and I will help you get onto a better diet. Unfortunately, though, there is no magic solution. I follow Heather's diet and I go a few steps beyond -- eating organic as much as possible and staying away from anything that contains additives.

If you want to be well and pain-free, you will probably need to stay away from 95 per cent of all prepared foods and switch to making most of your own foods so you can control the ingredients and ensure they are IBS-safe.

I hope this helps.

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review