All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Airline Pilot: needs help new
      #19996 - 09/09/03 04:38 AM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

your on a airplane right? let the airline company know in advance that you must eat low fat vegan food. try to get them to make foods with alot of soluble fiber.
eating for ibs book should help.
order food in advance before you get on the plane, they can carry meals to you even though your the pilot right?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Airline Pilot:re beaglelover new
      #19997 - 09/09/03 04:46 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

not to worry beaglelover,

in my positionthere are always two pilots just in case of a situation like this. and yes the autopilot is usually turned on pretty soon as most of us are pretty lazy and would rather let "george" fly. that's what we call it. this usually done less than five minutes after takeoff and as quick as 2 minutes. it's usually turned on at a similar time frame before landing. as for the attacks i usually can feel them coming and with the execption and severity of the last one i usually have up to twenty minutes before holding D is no longer an option. thanks for the kind ear and the laugh it makes me feel better just hearing from others in my boat. what are peppermint caps i keep hearing about? are they altoids? i have said i can't stand the hot teas and know this is an alternative. i just can't take the taste of the herbals. i do like regualr lipton decaf but i know that doesn't do any good.

thnks for listening,

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Ok, that makes me feel a lil' better.... new
      #19998 - 09/09/03 04:53 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

knowing there are 2 of you up front! Glad we are all joking about this.
As to the peppermints, I swallow several Altoids whole, as Heather has suggested, immediately after meals and it does settle my stomach down. Try it!
And if you're only taking a teaspoon or two of the fiber supplements, you're a wheenie! You have to take more than that for them to help you. Check the amounts of the supplement page Heather has provided. And be faithful about it. If you can't mix the powders in a drink, you could try the tablets, such as Citrucel. And drink lots of water with them or they won't work.
I forgot to mention Baked Lay's chips as one of my favorite in between snacks and pita bread and hummus. If you are near a Greek restaurant, get some of this but have them leave the oil off the top of the hummus dip.
Have a nice week! And no more almond M & M's, ok?

#20012 - 09/09/03 07:10 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

My sympathies go out to you. To have such an exciting career and have this hinder it would be frustrating- as it is for all of us so we can relate. IBS changes your life, but, once you have it under control, it is a manageable part of your life. There are alos indirect benefits- you end up being more aware of healthy, alternative foods. I wish I would have has Heather's book 5 years ago when it started for me after gallbladder surgery. I have learned so much form the book and there is no other resource like it for IBS. I feel very special to have such an effort devoted solely to IBS.

Here are my recommendation- I am sure they are being repeated. This condition does no have to hurt your carrer.
Heather's diet- start off very safe- white flour, rice pasta, etc.
Peppermint capsules taken routinely before each meal
Peppermint, fennel tea- several cups per day.
Citrucel two times per day.
Altoids chewed for relief
Take safe foods with you- make muffins, take pretzels, plain turkey sandwhich, etc.
Ask you doctor about antispasmodics, antidepressants for pain.
Then once you have stabilized, branch out to the other more exciting, more healthful foods.
I probably did not have anything different to say, but I just had to respond to your situation.

Best of luck, and most of all, try to keep the stress low- yoga, hypnotherapy tapes get these-proven to help! You will get this under control and be able to pursue your career.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Re: Airline Pilot: in denial new
      #20026 - 09/09/03 08:56 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and Welcome to the boards,

You are definately in denial. Don't worry I went through it too. I thought "What's the big deal, I have dealt with this pain for years...I can handle now if I decide to cheat" But if you follow Heather's diet and then decide to cheat you will realize how bad the pains you have been dealing with really are.

I used to always cheat but now just the thought of going through the terrible spells just isn't worth it to me. My weakness was BK. I had a VIP card for goodness sakes.

Jump out of denial Luke. Warning: You will go through a little bit of mourning because you will miss the foods you love so much, and you will find some of the foods can never be replaced. Like Rice Dream, will never replace ice cream.

But you will get used to the different tastes and eventually you will forget what you are missing, I promise.

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Airline Pilot:re beaglelover new
      #20032 - 09/09/03 09:21 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can get the enteric coated peppermint capsules at health food stores, but Heather sells them online now too. Check them out here.

Re: Airline Pilot: Thank you new
      #20065 - 09/09/03 12:12 PM
skywalker

I just wanted to say thank you to all for the many great responses. Being put on temporary medical leave is a scary thing especially for a pilot. I is so easy to lose your medical. And after almost 15 years of flying, then what. Start a whole new career? We are highly trained professionals like doctors but what else can we do besides our profession. Anyway I'll stop rambling on. I do very much appreciate all of the advice, and encouragement from all who have responded and especially to Heather for making this all possible.

Thank you

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

#20068 - 09/09/03 12:22 PM
skywalker

wish it were that easy.

i recently left a usair commuter flying 19 props with no bathroom yep that's right. up to two hours with out one. you can only imagine actually there are some intersint stories left to beaglelover regarding a large hefty.
anyway i now fly for a pivate airline on a private jet, flying the rich and famous types, literally as small as a minivan well maybe ford ten passenger van. bathroom under the rear passenger seat with a curtain. at least there is one.
meals are usually left up to us and many times we are way out in the boonies. sometimes getting a meal is a problem.
the best scenario is to pack a food bag with the snacks to keep me going avoid the triggers and eat smaller portions.

thanks for the thoughts

yes traveling 7 days in a row every other week is an ibs nightmare. it is not uncommon for me to fly 4-5 thousand miles per day. time zones headaches!

I do praise God that i don't have it as bad as others on this site.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Welcome! Picture addition new
      #20088 - 09/09/03 03:19 PM
skywalker

Heather,

thanks for the welcome and the great site. It's great to have a place to go to find answers, share secrets and vent a bit. Part of the stress reducer right here is knowing you're not alone. The books are wonderful, nothing personal but I just hope it works. Being an IBS newbie that's dealt with it for 5 years and might have to find a new career it's a bit intimidating. As for the pilot pic in uniform I'd be glad to. I'm a bit stupid when it comes to computers so you'll have to spell it out for me. or send me an email to send it to. Yes I can fly a 10 million dollar airplane all over the country but I can't input a simple pic.

Thanks again,

Luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Welcome! Picture addition new
      #20089 - 09/09/03 03:25 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

LOL - I had to laugh at this.

My husband can built an entire steel building from nothing, but could NOT figure out how to turn the computer on!!!!

Yep! I felt pretty smart that day LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review