Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Airline Pilot: needs help
      #19878 - 09/08/03 05:34 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

Hello to all,

As of 9/8/03 I am the newest member to join the club. Not my most desired club to join but a big thanks to Heather for starting it and putting in all of the hard work to help us ibsers.

I am an airline pilot soon to be an out of work airline pilot if i can't get my ibs under control and fast. I am currently on medical leave after a severe bout on thursday. I had so much pain after an hour in the stall (i almost passed out) that i had my buddy call 911.
I am one of the lucky ones that has IBS with the big "D". Very sporadic episodes at sometimes 1-2 times a week to once every other month with an average of once a month. Each episode lasting 1-2 hours with three trips to the bathroom (Not nearly as bad as some of you i'm learning, but when you're stuck at 41,000 feet in a small business jet the size of a minivan your career's on the line and the big "D" is coming well you all have been there.

My problem is and any help would be appreciated is that I am a pilot. I fly for 7 days straight, moving all over the country and eating daily meals in different time zones. Casual meals are rare and it's usually one meal at the end of the day. Not a good idea i'm finding out. Finding good food is hard. I just finished heather's "the first year" and am now starting "eating for ibs". grocery shopping this afternoon. I am currently on medical leave, soon to be unpaid medical leave if i can't get this under control.
I am doing everything here at lightspeed before i am looking for a new career. please someone tell me that's not the case.

Any help tips with the food on the go problem? As a pilot i know how hard it is to get good food on the road let alone food for an ibser.
I'm also looking for snack items to be carried for a week. I already have some of heather's ideas from her books like pretzels.
Any suggestions on the herbal tea or substitutes? I live on lipton sweetened with lemon iced tea, decaf. I can't seem to stomach the taste of peppermint or chamomille, altoids i can stomach.
Already started the metamucil but think fibercon tablets will be easier on the road.
Any ideas on an easy to find milk substitute for cereal. Is 2% really that bad with some morning corn flakes? I guess i'm still in a bit of denial. I have become used to my morning cereal while on the road.

Thanks to all for being there for an ibser.
I'm looking forward to adding a travel section as hopefully i will soon be an expert on the subject.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help new
      #19891 - 09/08/03 07:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having such an awful time, we got to get you straighten out quick!!! I would check out the "how to break the cycle" (sorry I don't know how to do a direct link)Basically, you go to rice, bread, water and teas for a couple of days. Than you start to add things back in. Graham crakers would be good to take "on the road" the low fat cinnamon ones are my favorite! You can get soychips that are really good at the heath food store, the BBQ are my favorite here! Thai Kithcen makes rice noodle bowls that I take to work for lunch all the time, if you have access to water and a mocrowave you are good to go! They come in all different flavors and are low fat. Bagels usually keep at least a few days, try using a little jelly instead of cream cheese. Pocket pita bread will keep a while. They have those little tuna and chicken pouches that you could take with you to stuff into the pita. They also make oatmeal express cups, just add water and nuke. Thats about all I can come up with, but I'll keep thinking. I'm sure other people will have some more ideas! Keep us posted on how your doing.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#19894 - 09/08/03 07:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First - welcome to the board, Skywalker. It's nice to have another star wars persona here. I was getting lonely.
Next - you CAN get control of your IBS. Read all the dietary information on this website. For ideas on snack foods to take with you that won't spoil: bananas will keep a few days, baked lay's, soy pudding packs,
Rice Krispy squares.
Applesauce packages
Pretzels
Dry cereal - corn or rice based NOT wheat
Instant oatmeal packages plain
Tons of herbal tea - try ginger or fennel. Ginger is great for digestion and fennel is great for bloating. I would give the peppermint another try - it can ease the pain of an attack, and for me it can even stop an attack from coming. Try Heather's peppermint caps - that's another way around it.
You can get boiling water right?> So take a thermos and always carry herbal tea with you.
White bread, baked potatoes are always safe. Plain white rice is also safe.
Seriously, stick to soluble fiber foods for a while and see if it helps - here's a list: web page These foods will stabilize you quickly and keep you stable while working. With your job at stake - eat only safe foods when working. No snack dogs or burgers.
Type back with specific questions, and hit the search button for previous topics.
May the force be with you my friend.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#19895 - 09/08/03 08:02 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Luke: Welcome! This is your best bet in finding help, you've already received some great responses. My input is for you to STOP eating anything dairy, that includes 2%. All dairy is a trigger to most IBSers. Have you been diagnosed with IBS or could you have lactose intolerance or celiac disease (gluten allergy)? Also, stop drinking that tea and go for some herbal teas. I can drink decaf green tea, but you'll have to experiment with what works for you. Also, what did you eat that could have triggered your last attack?
Did you have an extra fatty meal, or salad? Your journey has just begun, trial and error are our middle names!

#19904 - 09/08/03 09:47 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and Welcome to the boards!

I understand how you feel with the sporadic D. I never had it as badly as some people around here. I was actually pretty fortunate, but the attacks I did get put a kink in my lifestyle and job.

I would try cutting out all dairy and really sticking with the diet. Yes, you will miss your milk in the morning, we all miss stuff though. But we have also learnt we have to do whatever we have to do to feel better and keep our lives on track.

I hope you will be able to make the necessary changes to your diet to be in control. And it is difficult - no doubt about it - but you will begin to feel alot better - thanks to the changes.

Good luck and welcome once again,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19923 - 09/08/03 01:03 PM
skywalker

you don't want to know what did it. After reading heather's books i know why the attack was so bad.
Stress the night before leading to lack of sleep about 5 hours i need 8.

2bowls of corn flakes at 8am w/2%
small bag of almond m&m's at noon with a bottled water
around three i downed about 6 inches of a garlic butter bread at a barbeque restaurant then a salad no cheese or dressing followed be a large plate of barbq ham. boy was it good for about 45 minutes.
i didn't make it to the bathroom about 30 feet from it when i lost it. extreme abdominal pain about 6 bouts of D over an hour plus, drenched in sweat with tingling of the limbs ie below the elbows and knees this due to the pain and heavy breathing for so long. almost passed out before calling 911. it's funny i can usually eat anything meat dairy etc i know about all of the red flags on this one but it's not the norm i usually only get hit with a one hour bout of D once a month or so.

thanks for the response

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help ( Welcome fellow airline employee!) new
      #19924 - 09/08/03 01:12 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Greetings my fellow airline employee! Although my position keeps me on the ground I too have been at 30,000 ft and dying to get into one of those closetlike bathrooms. My advice will not be to different from those that answered before me, these boards will definetly help you out. I am sure that flying a commuter size aircraft will take you into many airports without any food service, but my stomach is now a big fan of white rice and pasta as well as warm soups and herbal teas. Most of my attacks come when I have not eaten in a while and being gone for days at a time doesn't make it easy to pack snacks. I would almost recommend crackers or a plain bagel (depending on your hotel they may have these at a continental breakfast) In a bind I do take the Immodium or Pepto or Alka Seltzer because there are so many times there is not an alternative... I wish you the best I know it was to much work to get where you are in your career for this to stop you!

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help ( Welcome fellow airline employee!) new
      #19925 - 09/08/03 01:16 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Oh yeah and my IBS kicked in after 9/11 when all I did was stress about losing my job, with my first airline, then when I was laid of in January of this year it only got worse. Now that I was picked up by another airline I am slowly starting the recovery process...

#19930 - 09/08/03 01:52 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

No comment on the diet part, I think you know you were a very bad boy. My "last" meal was filet mignon, butter filled mashed potatoes, bread/butter, salad, dessert and an alcholic drink. Breakfast included crepes, fried egg, grapefruit juice. It's funny, but you really do get used to a safer way of eating. Taste is acquired, just keep eating it and you'll start appreciating more and more what you CAN eat rather than what you CAN'T eat. Fast food is the hardest, but they seem to be coming around. Look for the grilled chicken sandwiches w/o condiments. Quizno's and Subway both have low fat good sandwiches, as prepared. Lots of mexican restaurants now have grilled chicken soft tacos.
Traveling is an extra challenge, it's very hard to eat safe while out! Low fat wheat thins, graham crackers, bagels, vanilla wafers, RICE MILK (yes you will get used to the taste, try Rice Dream, original flavor, first), bake some chicken strips and carry them cold (like fried chicken), read Heather's tips and try not to cheat at all for a while so your system can calm down.

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help thnx airplane girl new
      #19933 - 09/08/03 02:30 PM
skywalker

Howdy,

I was hoping to find some pilots of fas with similar problems and experience. congrats on getting the job it's really tough out there right now most of my friends are onthe street. I just left mesa airlines a usair express commuter based out of phx. after 8.5 years i had enough of the poor quality of life. i am now with a fractional airline, a time share, where you fly the owners around. it's pretty cool. we fly a lot of pga golfers, some actors like sarah jessica and hubby, bill murray, and neil armstrong, most however are ceos or just plain rich. i haven't had the pleasure yet but i'll get someone famous soon enough. as for the company i love them that are the best. great people that treat you right if it doesn't change i'll never leave. the jets are cool to. really small and fast.

anyway wishing you all the best out there.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 812 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review