All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about symptoms
      #198575 - 07/22/05 11:20 AM
Crown

Reged: 07/22/05

Hi, I'm new here and just have a question about some symptoms I've been having. I have a constant pain in the lower right abdomen...no where else. I also have intermittent diarrhea and constipation. If it is IBS, is it normal to have the pain only in that area? Thanks for any help. PS I have a right ovarian cyst, but the doctor doesn't think it should cause pain at 1".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about symptoms new
      #198594 - 07/22/05 12:15 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you been diagnosed with IBS? It's very important to get properly diagnosed.

Re: Question about symptoms new
      #198612 - 07/22/05 12:44 PM
Crown

I had an ultrasound on Monday and they found the cyst. Because she doesn't think that the cyst at about 1" should be causing the pain, she wants to do a CT scan on Tuesday.
I have not been diagnosed with IBS, but that was one of the things it could be. I have believed I have had it for years as around 1/2 hour after I ate, I would have a loose stool. My stools have changed since the pain came on June 3rd and I now go back and forth from C to D every few days.
I'm just trying to figure out if this pain in the lower right abdomen only is normal for IBS.

We can have pain all over... new
      #198642 - 07/22/05 02:13 PM
Linz

...tho having it in one lower quandrant is quite common. However this does not help you diagnose IBS AT ALL! You need to see a GI.

Re: We can have pain all over... new
      #198744 - 07/22/05 10:05 PM
Crown

Linz & kme....thank you so much for your posts to my question. I guess I will let the doctor keep doing her
tests to rule out other issues she is concerned about.
Problem is my insurance isn't the best, but this pain will drive me crazy eventually. The C & D aren't too bad to deal with as I've always had the D and the C only lasts for about 3 days before the D kicks in. Thanks for your help!

Colonoscopy new
      #198769 - 07/23/05 06:46 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Since you say you don't have very good insurance, why don't you ask your dr. about getting a colonoscopy instead of the CT scan? That would be one definite test to show IBS. Or is there any specific thing the dr. might be trying to find with the CT scan? I have lower right side pain alot---or I did before Heather's diet. Actually, that was my #1 pain site. I just think, If I really thought it was IBS (and it sounds like it could be), and my insurance wasn't that great, that I would ask for the colonoscopy. But, like I said, maybe your dr. has something specific that the CT scan would show??? Either way, Keep on Heather's diet and hopefully you'll get stable. Good Luck!

Just need to point out here... new
      #198788 - 07/23/05 09:43 AM
Linz

...that there is NO test to "show" IBS. The colonoscopy is just good at picking up other things it could be...on the GI side. You still have to rule the non-GI stuff out.

Re: Just need to point out here... new
      #198826 - 07/23/05 12:37 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Absolutely! What I should have said was, a colonoscopy can rule out many other things that could be wrong within your colon, therefore, if the colonoscopy is Normal it is just one more test pointing towards having an IBS problem, since IBS doesn't actually "show up" in any test. It's ruling out all other possibilities first. Sorry, should have made myself more clear on the subject.

S'ok... new
      #198832 - 07/23/05 01:28 PM
Linz

...I just didn't want any newbies to get confused and think there's a test for IBS.

Re: S'ok... new
      #198889 - 07/24/05 12:26 AM
Crown

Thank you...from everything I've read, I didn't think there was a test for IBS. I know she was worried about ovarian cancer, but that was ruled out with the finding of a cyst that was normal but shouldn't cause pain. I had some trouble with my last menstrual cycle as far as passing lots of large clots so she may be looking for something related to that as well. Thanks again for your help...it is greatly appreciated! I'll keep posted.

Update new
      #203288 - 08/07/05 06:35 AM
Crown

Thought I should post an update on what's going on. I saw a gastroenterologist on Thursday and he is going to do a colonoscopy on September 19. He is concerned as my sister has Chron's and my cousin has colotis. Apparently, it has a tendency to run in families. I had always thought my bowels were normal...as no one is the same and he kind of scolded me. LOL For as long as I can remember, once I had eaten, 1/2 - 2 hours later I would have D and empty out. His response was, "Well, since you don't ever remember having normal stools and now they are changing. With a sister with Chron's we need to have a colonoscopy done." I said, "Well, the 1/2 hour to 2 hours was normal for me." By the way, my mom is the same way. He says, "That's NOT normal for ANYONE!" LOL Oh well, it worked for me. Guess I've never been accused of being normal. hehehehe

He also put me on blood pressure meds as my BP was 160/110 and the day before for a heart incident it was 158/100.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave, it is really appreciated.

Pam

Re: Update new
      #203299 - 08/07/05 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks for the update. Scolding aside, it sounds like your GI guy might be a keeper. I hope all goes well with the tests and with your health in the future.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review