Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another attack pls help
      #198492 - 07/22/05 07:46 AM
Maddie

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Boston , MA

Hi everyone, HAPPY FRIDAY!

just need some help, ok tues of this week i had an attack took 4 immodium just to be sure it stopped so i can get to work, didnt each much that day at all, but i did take a Fibercon. Wed ate very safe SF foods took a Fibercon, same for Thursday, and today i get another attack and now im late for work, waiting for it to be over.

Do you think the Fibercon can make the D come back? or did taking 4 immodium really screw me up? not sure what i did wrong and what to do now, should i skip the Fibercon for today? i do have my "friend" maybe that has something to do with it, not sure. any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Maddie

IBS-D

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another attack pls help new
      #198499 - 07/22/05 07:57 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

It could just be your "friend"...I know that hits a lot of us girls! I dont' think it's the Immodium or the fibercon.Immodium would have made you more C than give you more D. I would keep taking the SFS, though one Fibercon is a rather low dose of SF. Here's what Heather says about fibercon doses:
Quote:

For the soluble fiber pills (Equalactin, Citrucel, Fibercon)
Start at 2 pills twice daily and work up to 2 pills six times daily, or the equivalent of 12-15 grams soluble fiber supplement per day. I do not recommend Benefiber chewable tablets, as they contain sorbitol, an artificial sweetener that can cause cramps, bloating, diarrhea, and gas in people who don't even have IBS - imagine what they can do to you.

And keep eating, even if it's just safe foods! Not eating can also cause attacks.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#198500 - 07/22/05 08:00 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Maddie. Sorry you're feeling bad. Fibercon should help, not cause, a D attack. Are you taking it regularly as an SFS? If not, you should work up to a regular daily dosage of 12-15g (of SF, not of the fibercon, not sure how much SF fibercon provides/dose so you'd have to check that). However it is possible that you're having a bad reaction to it - though those reactions usually are more like bloating and gas, not D. How much did you take? And how long have you been take it for?

4 immodium is A LOT - that much would make me C. However if it's *not* stopping your D then it's *probably* not to blame (though it may have messed you up a little).

I think you probably hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that you're having your period. A LOT of women with IBS find that hormonal fluctuations around that time of the month worsens their IBS - that is certainly the WORST time of the month for me every month, and there's almost nothing I can do to stop the D sometimes in the morning Usually in the few days before I get my period and the first few days of my period I make sure to eat very very safe, and to take immodium when needed, and it usually lessens the pain a little.

Hope that helps, and that you feel better soon.

#198501 - 07/22/05 08:01 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Heh, we must have posted at exactly the same time! Thanks for retrieving that info on the Fibercon!

#198504 - 07/22/05 08:05 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Did you have any BMs in between the two attacks? I know a lot of people rely on Immodium but because I am IBS-A, I find that it really messes me up. If I take any after a D attack, I won't go for days. Then, when I do, it's D all over again. For me, I found the best thing to do was just wait out the D instead of taking Immodium, stick to the "Breaking the Cycle" diet for 3 or 4 days, then carefully introduce some IF.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#198525 - 07/22/05 09:12 AM
Maddie

Hi Amanda,

No i didnt have any BM's in between the attacks.. wow really, i never thought to do that, i will take your advice next time (im hoping there isnt one but) it happens

Thank you!

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#198526 - 07/22/05 09:17 AM
Maddie

Hi Laurel,

ya 4 is a little much i know but i wanted to make sure i can get to work "safely". I took those 4 immodiums within 2 hrs. I only take 1 Fibercon a day, I should probably up that i know. What do you use to reach the 12-15g a day? anything in a pill form you can suggest?

thanks for your reply and advice!

Maddie

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#198531 - 07/22/05 09:23 AM
Maddie

thank you Melissa! I read the book a million times and I just seemed to skip over that part about the SFS. that seems like a lot but if it will help, hope im not going all the time
I was planning on not eating this afternoon, but after you said that I should, i only have bread with me here at work

thanks for your advice!

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#198553 - 07/22/05 10:23 AM
vcarter410

Reged: 07/22/05

I take Immodium as well and it usually always works. I did notice, however, that time of the month always triggers me to be sick for at least a week or two, no matter what I eat.

#198557 - 07/22/05 10:34 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Yeah, just be careful with Immodium. We IBS'ers have over-reacting guts. While Immodium would merely stop D in a normal person and allow them to return to normal soon, it might really stop an IBS'er up for a while. People who are severely D can take them every day as a preventative and still have a normal BM. For me, though, it's a delicate balance. I am prone to D more than C, but will very easily get C if I'm not careful. Try avoiding the Immodium for a while and see if you can't just control it with diet. For me, usually a D attack is a one- or two-shot deal, not an all day event like with a stomach virus. So, I just go as much as I need to, and I'm generally okay for the rest of the day. See if that works for you. Are you a D or an A, normally?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2158

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review