All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food
      #198360 - 07/21/05 06:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Gas question again! How far back should I start looking for the culprit of a gas attack?

As my previous post indicated, I am experiencing lots of smelly gas. I know, how pleasant I am to be around these days! I can't stand myself....but it is getting embarrassing at work.

Is there any time frame in which I could pinpoint the food(s)? I snack throughout the day so this could be difficult.

Do you guys see anything that stands out in as gas producing? Millet, oatmeal, ginger chews, sugar in my sorbet, egg whites, licorice tea, 1 Tablespoon of flax, spelt or sourdough bread, Oaty Cereal, Brown Rice bread? I've been doing the flax, brown rice bread, and millet for a while now, so I don't think they would be the cause of this smelly gas now. All the other foods are new to me. UGH. This is so frustrating. Why can't I figure out my C, pain, gas, or bloat trigger foods? They are probably all different which would leave nothing!

Any ideas on the time frame question? It starts after breakfast usually and goes throughout the day...so maybe everything is the cause of gas at this time?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sorry, should have added this to my first post new
      #198363 - 07/21/05 06:34 PM
Augie

I don't want to start getting posting happy! I need to relax a little.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food new
      #198403 - 07/21/05 10:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I was going to say flax but if you were eating that before you started getting all the gas it's probably ok. So then 2 other things that stick out for me are oatmeal and egg whites. I know those can be gas/bloat producing in some. It's probably something you're eating everyday since you're getting it so regularly...?

I think your timeframe question is really difficult because different foods and reactions probably work on their own timeframe, i.e. oatmeal could take 3 days to 'hit' while egg whites could be immediate etc... Tough to say.

I know you've been adding lots of foods back in since you've started eating gluten again. Maybe you should try it more slowly? So that it would be a bit easier to pinpoint the gas-producer? Is it possible this is a reaction you're having to GLUTEN in general? Maybe you're more intollerant than you thought, or maybe it's just going to take your body a little while to get used to having gluten again (i.e. the way it would be with soy or beans etc.)...?

Just throwing out some ideas that come to mind. Sorry I can't be more helpful

#198406 - 07/21/05 11:28 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Beth, one thing I recently began figureing out was that the one food I kept thinking was safe for me, is causing me to have awful gas later in the day. Oatmeal. I ate it every morning because it was the one food that didn't immediately hurt my belly, but everyday I would have gas later in the day that was just foul. Last week whlie camping I didn't have it and felt great the whole day. did this three days, but didn't quite put it together. Went back to oatmeal and the gas came back. Didn't have it the past two days and feel fine. Now keep in mind that I make the recipe from the "1st year, peaches and cream(with soy milk, and yes, I'v emade it W/O the soy milk) and I think that part of my problem is soy. I've noticed that I do way better with a Beano before any soy products. Also, I don't do great with sourdough, noticed that on your list, thought I would mention it. I know what you mean about the gas, mine had really been getting bad lately, didn't want to be around myself it was so toxic! I know I can't handle dairy, but soy doesn't seem to work for me either. Hope this helps, Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Beth....I know with me.... new
      #198407 - 07/21/05 11:30 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

that when I have bread for lunch I get all cramped up like a gas buildup. It generally happens about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after lunch and it's terrible! Anything with wheat in it these days will do it for me. I'd maybe stick to the diet you were eating before the gas hit and add one gluten food at a time (like white bread for example, once or twice a day). If you're still getting the gas stop that again and see if the gas goes away after a week or so. If it does I think you might just have your answer on gluten. Hi btw! Sorry it took so long to email you back. Hope this helps Feel free to write and talk about it!

--------------------
Amy

Any suggestions or thoughts are helpful, Laurel new
      #198527 - 07/22/05 09:18 AM
Augie

You made some good thoughts and gave me some things to consider. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.

I notice for the Reporting In, that you eat lots of egg whites, as does Elizabeth. I know Wind mentioned they had sulfur in them which is gas producing.

Does anyone else have problems with egg whites causing gas?

And I didn't realize oatmeal could cause problems. I thought that one was safe for sure! I was so enjoying it! Do you think Oat bran would have the same effect, if, indeed it is the Oatmeal?

I just thought about something. I usually eat Oaty Bites Cereal as a snack around noon, after eating Oatmeal for breakfast. Maybe that's too much Oats?

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you still eating Oatmeal? new
      #198530 - 07/22/05 09:21 AM
Augie

Have you tried making it with Rice Milk instead of Rice Milk? Your post sort of is confusing because I'm not sure if you are saying you have a problem with oatmeal or just when it is made with soy milk.

Or have you decided the oatmeal is the problem and just removed that from your diet entirely? Good detective work, BTW!

Interesting about Sourdough...you are the first person I've heard mention Sourdough as a gassy problem food.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Amy! new
      #198532 - 07/22/05 09:24 AM
Augie

You'll be hearing from me soon!

What kind of bread are you eating that causes you gas? What happens if you eat GF bread?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are you still eating Oatmeal? new
      #198541 - 07/22/05 09:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hello, Beth! I haven't had a problem with oatmeal giving me gas; however, I definitely have felt these effects from sourdough bread and from eating too much yeast-containing bread. So, I can tolerate pasta just fine, but if I have several slices of French bread or sourdough bread I get very bloated, gassy, and, usually with the sourdough, may even get D.

Re: Are you still eating Oatmeal? new
      #198587 - 07/22/05 11:52 AM
Alyson McG

Sorry to be confusing. Yes, I believe it is the oatmeal. I have made it several times W/O soy milk and still had problems. From everything I can figure, it is the oats. What has been happening with it is I'll eat it in the AM and be fine, no gas, no bloat and no D, then by noon on the gas and bloating just kept getting worse and worse. This is my 3rd day again W/O it and I feel fine. I did have a test done that showed I am a slightly on the gluten sensitive side, though I am waiting to see what my biopsy says next month to be sure. It's all so very confusing.
As for the Sourdough, some is made with milk products, so that may just be a problem for me.
Hope that is more clear, I tend to know what I mean and want to say, but sometimes it comes out entirely different.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

My sourdough doesn't have milk in it new
      #198606 - 07/22/05 12:33 PM
Augie

Did the one you ate have it in it?
What are you substituting for your oatmeal? Do you have the same problem with dry oat cereal?

I'm going to try skipping the oatmeal a day or two without changing anything else. It's weird because before I went on the gluten free diet, I had oatmeal every day and I was perfectly fine...so I don't know why it would be a problem now.

--------------------
~ Beth

Maria new
      #198609 - 07/22/05 12:35 PM
Augie

What bread do you eat if you can't eat sourdough or yeast? The reason I decided on the sourdough bread is because I found one at Whole foods that they make without yeast! So, I was excited about that. I thought it would be my safest choice into the world of gluten food....along with the oatmeal!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: My sourdough doesn't have milk in it new
      #198701 - 07/22/05 05:46 PM
Alyson McG

I've had a hard time finding one that doesn't. I'm sure they are out there, just haven't looked real hard. I'm not sure about the dry cereal because I usually would snack on it later in the day anyway(after I was already being infected with the stink bomb), I'll have to try it though. You know, it's funny, it seems like I am way more sensitive to many more things than I was a year ago. It seems like something I thought I could tolerate before, is completely unacceptable now.:( Maybe after you eliminated all the gluten, your body became happy and now that you are trying to bring it back, it's trying to tell you not to. Just a thought. But really, who knows what our bodies are trying to tell us at any given moment. With IBS, my body is definitely fickle.

--------------------

Whole Foods bakery new
      #198704 - 07/22/05 06:28 PM
Augie

There is a bakery at Whole foods and none of their sourdough contain dairy. Not sure about French Bread. Maybe I'll try that instead. Or, maybe I'll just go back to gluten free...I'll give it a few weeks at least though before giving up.

I wonder how you would do on the dairy free sourdough? Might be worth trying! It's hard to tell if the body is reacting to the gluten like it does to SFS...maybe you have to ease into it until the body eventually adjusts. Or maybe you lose your ability to digest something after abstaining from it for so long. Problem is, don't know if it is temporary, permanent, or if I really do need to be gluten free even though I wasn't feeling well on it either...but not this smelly gas!

Yeah, I usually snack on the Oat dry cereal later in the day too, after the Oatmeal...so it's hard to tell if the dry cereal is a problem..For that matter, who knows if it's the Oatmeal. Like Laurel said, maybe it's the egg whites...or the sourdough and I'm just picking on the poor innocent oatmeal! But the gas usually starts in the morning before the other stuff.

Oy, IBS sucks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: What does the gas smell like? new
      #198706 - 07/22/05 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth:

What does the gas smell like? Can you describe the odour, s.v.p.?

Hydrogen sulfide is a noxious gas which can be produced by yeasts during fermentation. You've got a lot of new sugar molecules in your colon with the addition of so many new foods! Your stomach must be dazed with releasing new enzymes and juices to digest all this reintroduced food.
What a pot pourri of polysaccharides in that gi tract of yours!!! Also, are there any root veggies in there--roots tend to have a lot of nitrogen!

Kate, IBS-D. (former "Blue Angel")

Re: Maria new
      #198707 - 07/22/05 06:43 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sort of embarrassed bringing up the sourdough and yeast thing because I know yeast isn't a trigger for IBSers and I don't want to keep anyone from enjoying sourdough bread. But I'm pretty sure it's a trigger for me: I can only eat about two slices of French bread a day (which does contain yeast), but if I eat more than three slices I will have cramping. And, if I eat even more of it, I will have a D attack. Guaranteed. It happens every time, which is why I'm always confused when people say bread constipates them--I've never had that problem w/ bread.

I have been tested for celiac (blood tests) several times, but I don't have it. Plus, I don't have the D or cramping with pasta or quick breads. So, that's how I came to the yeast conclusion.

I need to get to a Whole Foods fast! I bought myself a little cooler, so when I finally make the trip I'll be ready!

Are you doing any better with the gas problem today? I noticed you've been eating blueberries and flax with your cereal. Has this been making things worse? Maybe it's too early to tell.

Take care, Beth!

It stinks! new
      #198716 - 07/22/05 07:03 PM
Augie

Hard to describe an odor...maybe rotten eggs? But I've never really smelled rotten eggs,but my gas is what I'd assume they would smell like.

I'm not eating any yeast. Only yeast free sourdough and spelt and no yeast in oatmeal or cereal.

What is a polysaccharide? I'm not eating that much sugar...just a few spoons of sorbet and one piece of ginger chew a day.

I eat lots of root veggies...like everyday. One day I eat a soup made of pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potato and parsnip. The alternate days I eat pureed pumpkin or baked squash for dinner. But Heather says these are the easiest Veggies to tolerate.

I think they should perfectly safe and they are not crucifous veggies.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Maria new
      #198721 - 07/22/05 07:19 PM
Augie

There are other people on the board who have a problem with yeast...so you are not alone Maria. It is good to let people know...it may help them to identify something that is a problem for them that they would have never considered otherwise!

It sounds like maybe you would be okay with the sourdough if it was yeast free, and that it is not the Sourdough part that is the problem if you get the same reaction to French bread.

Sounds like you are still eating these breads, just limited amounts?

Yes, I have recently added blueberries to breakfast (cooked and and chopped up first), but the flax is not new. Maybe it is too early to tell? I had both of these this morning along with the oatmeal and the gas was not as bad as it has been. So, maybe it is something else. Who knows what though. I am not that good of a detective. It could also be a supplement or a tea I am taking...like dandelion or licorice root tea, or my fish oil capsules. Or maybe the gas was better because I skipped my night snack yesterday (as I now munch down on some mango) or because I didn't have any sourdough or eggwhites, zucchin (which I have been eating a lot of lately) or cold oat cereal.

Just too many options to eliminate!

Thanks for the support Maria. You're such a sweetie!

--------------------
~ Beth

Alyson, maybe it's the peach? new
      #198730 - 07/22/05 08:11 PM
Augie

This just came to mind...peaches have a lot of natural fructose and sorbitol and these can be difficult to digest. Maybe if you had the oatmeal plain or with a different fruit it would be okay!

Just a thought.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: It stinks! new
      #198740 - 07/22/05 08:48 PM
Wind

Polysaccharides are sugar molecules, i.e. glucose, fructcose, sucrose. All carbohydrates contain these--not just plain old table sugar! (not just fruits and veggies, but grains, too.)

Hmmm...rotten eggs? Sounds like hydrogen sulfide. Something is fermenting in there! The reason I asked about the yeasts was because I was thinking of wine making and sugar alcohols, that's all. Honestly, Beth--I think it's all of the above! You've got an assortment of "gases" inside of you. Are you consuming any carbonated beverages, per chance? You know, Beth--that's really nasty gas. I can understand your distress. If it were me, I'd be disturbed too. (Sorry--but thank goodness we're not trapped in a car without a/c on a hot day and all the windows rolled up.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Kate, IBS-D.

So, are you saying all the foods I eat are bad?--S.O.S.! new
      #198787 - 07/23/05 08:59 AM
Augie

I'm in trouble then! I think I'm losing my mind, what's left of it) over all this food obsessing and unsuccessful detective work.

Kate, do you honestly think everything I listed is making me feel so nasty, (as I sit eating oatmeal, blueberries, and flax). I just don't know what to do now. What to eat...this is a horrible feeling. Is there any foods I can keep eating from this list?

I'm eating the foods from Heather's list, so shouldn't this be pretty reliable? What's wrong with root veggie soup, or sourdough bread, egg whites...

Can someone try and calm me down? I need some help, please!

--------------------
~ Beth

#198790 - 07/23/05 09:47 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Not to state the obvious, but have you tried gas-x? I know your goal is to eliminate the gas-producing foods, but in the meantime, what are you doing for the symptom? I take gas-x a lot and it really helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: So, are you saying all the foods I eat are bad?--S.O.S.! new
      #198792 - 07/23/05 09:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I *think* Kate meant that maybe your body is still adjusting to the new foods. Hmm, maybe enzymes would help?

Gas is so difficult. I get lots of gas from if and the smelliest gas from caffeine and dairy.

Weird...you emailed me as I was writing this!

Oatmeal new
      #198793 - 07/23/05 10:00 AM
Linz

Thought I'd reply here as I'm one of the weird people that has issues with oatmeal!

It's the IF in oatmeal that's the issue for me I think. Anyway (safe) instant oatmeal, so finely ground stuff, is just fine with me. Oat bran would blow me up like a balloon!

And eggs too often do give me gas, but I don't eat them much.

Tried it... new
      #198794 - 07/23/05 10:04 AM
Alyson McG

I can eat peaches just fine. In fact, to get my fruit in for the day, I have a smoothie with peaches, mangoes, berries and soymilk everyday. Was doing that with the oatmeal. I'm still doing the smoothies and no affect. It's only when I add in the Oatmeal. I wish it weren't, but I'm sure it is. I may try one more time though, just to be sure. Alyson

--------------------

Hmmmmm.... new
      #198795 - 07/23/05 10:07 AM
Alyson McG

I'll have to try instant again. I started using the ones you have to cook(not quick oats) to save on money, but I don't remember if the instant gave me any problems or not. ??? interesting.......Thanks for the tip.

--------------------

Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated new
      #198796 - 07/23/05 10:32 AM
Augie

I totally forgot about the gas x! Yes, I am trying to eliminate the source because my bod obviously doesn't like something(s) I'm eating...but I forgot about the gas x that is sitting in my cupboard. Hopefully it will do something for the odor too.

Thanks for the reminder!

--------------------
~ Beth

#198798 - 07/23/05 10:35 AM
Augie

I do take a digestive enzyme already, as well as a probiotic. But maybe I'll double up on the enzymes for a while.

Do you think I should stick it out with all the foods to see if my body adjusts...or is my body telling me to avoid something or everything here?

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Well, new
      #198800 - 07/23/05 10:38 AM
Augie

if you've had the soy milk alone, the peaches alone, and you still have gas with oatmeal...then, yeah, it's the oatmeal I'd say. Darn.

What's ya going to replace it with? Try some Cream of rice maybe...or a cold cereal. Have you tried a cold oat cereal without the oatmeal yet? Maybe it's just the hot oatmeal that's a problem. Otherwise, there are lots of other cold cereals you could have that are rice based.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oatmeal new
      #198802 - 07/23/05 10:41 AM
Augie

I usually grind my oatmeal up in the food processor before cooking it to make it more of a fine texture. But, obviously it must not make much of a difference, but it tastes better and does seem to be smoother as it does down. Plus, it's probably easier to digest.

How do you fair with Sourdough Linz? Or don't you do much bread either?

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (07/23/05 10:54 AM)

Bread new
      #198812 - 07/23/05 11:37 AM
Linz

I eat bread fine, but we don't really have sourdough over here so I actually haven't eaten it since I got IBS.

I'd stick it out... new
      #198814 - 07/23/05 11:38 AM
Linz

...if I were you. Even going on Heather's diet can be enough of a change to cause temporary issues for some people....it doesn't neccesarily mean it's the worng thing to do.

Re: Brew some fennel tea, too--n.t. new
      #198834 - 07/23/05 01:34 PM
Wind

#198837 - 07/23/05 02:04 PM
Wind

Beth:

1. There is nothing "wrong" with what you are consuming!!! I think is the accumulative effect of everything in your gut AND
all the new foods!!!

2. Some enzymes AND/or gasX might ease your distress/self-consciousness. Also, with your gastropareisis, are you certain that you are digesting your foods and effectively absorbing the nutrition? There's alot of alien, or re-introtduced foods in your system lately!!!

3. Perhaps try some rotation? Alter some ingredient ratios? This, plus enzymes and Gas-X is what I would do. AND I'D BE DRINKING LOTS OF FENNEL TEA!

4. Are there preservatives in that sourdough bread?

5. I was reading a little re: the production of sourdough bread. Yeast plus bacteria (lactobacilli) produce lactic acid. Wheat gluten retains the gases, i.e. and FORMS BUBBLES. I also read that the starch partially gelantinizes, enabling it to retain gas bubbles. Sorry, just digressing a tad.

6. Let's say you're baking something. All the ingredients are put together to form something that hopefully smells and tastes good. Now, most of the ingredients "match." Perhaps there is something in the interaction of ingredients in your belly that just doesn't match/co-ordinate and is ineffectively being broken down and causing a distressing stink?
7. Doesn't that flax give you gas? I don't think it's good for gastropareisis. Ditto for oats, from what I've read.
This concerns me.
8. I wish we could have deodorant for our colon like we do for our armpits!!!

I'll comb my brain, further and see what turns up. In the meantime, maybe do some rotation, drink lots of fennel tea and check out GasX and digestive enzymes.

Kate, IBS-D.

So, a food diary wouldn't help? new
      #199043 - 07/25/05 10:24 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

If I am okay for breakfast and lunch, and then in the middle of dinner I started to hurt and later was in horrible pain. So, are you saying it could have been something I ate a few days ago that just "hit me" at that time? Not something I was eating for dinner at the time?

Does this mean a food diary is kind of useless? I've never been able to pinpoint anything from them after doing it for 6 months. Frustrating!

I guess I'm just confused as to how I can start figuring out my food intolerances so I can avoid the offending foods and get some relief.

Re: So, a food diary wouldn't help? new
      #199123 - 07/25/05 12:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

When I have an attack (D for me, not pain) in the middle of a meal or within, say, an hour of finishing it, I believe it's something I ate at that meal. To me, that seems like a trigger. Of course, if I've been eating a little off-program for a few days beforehand, then I'm more sensitive to everything and something in the triggering meal that wouldn't have bothered me under other circumstances might do so then.

If there's a food or foods you know for sure you can eat without pain (white rice, for example), maybe you could consider eating just that food or foods for 3 days, then adding in other foods, 1 at a time, every 3 days. I know this would be insanely boring and not very nutritious in the short run, but maybe that would help you identify foods that you can and cannot tolerate.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Beth, are you eating your cereals dry? new
      #199298 - 07/25/05 07:17 PM
Wind

I just had a thought, Beth. Are you eating your cereals dry? I know you're on a cereal kick, lately for snacks. I know also that you've re-introduced gluten to your gut. I just wondered if you're consuming these cereals dry or if there is a liquid involved.

Kate, IBS-D.

I eat it dry, as a snack new
      #199411 - 07/26/05 08:59 AM
Augie

Why do you ask Kate? What's going on in that brain of yours?

--------------------
~ Beth

#199414 - 07/26/05 09:12 AM
Augie

1. I do take digestive enzymes. Clueless on the gastroparesis as I have a whack doctor who won't give me any advice on how/what to eat and how severe the Gastroparesis is

2.Rotation? How many days is recommended to not have a food after eating it? My choices are so limited now, it seems. Could you maybe email me a few days of foods to rotate with? If too much work, don't worry! I'll try to work something out. Would help to have a dietician!

3.Sourdough is Whole Foods with NO preservatives

4.RE:Perhaps there is something in the interaction of ingredients in your belly that just doesn't match/co-ordinate and is ineffectively being broken down and causing a distressing stink?

This makes sense, but how in the world do you figure out what food and what ingredients are the culprits?

5. Flax and Oats...I need some fiber as I cannot tolerate SFS...so these I thought would not cause bloat like all the SFS I have tried. The flax is not recommended for GP, but the Oats, ground down I am pretty sure are okay if the GP is not too bad??? Which mine isn't severe. Maikko might know better as she has GP.

6.Yes, deoderant for rectal gas! You would make a fortune! I'd buy it!

Thanks for combing your brain, dear Kate. Although I do tend to panic and get sort of anxious at your replies! I'm scared of food in general, as my pain is so horrendous...and I can't afford to lose even more foods from my diet ...or increase the anxiety that is already out of control to the point I want to jump off a cliff most days as my mind races and obsesses over all food/tummy/symptoms and trying to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I eat it dry, as a snack new
      #199526 - 07/26/05 01:56 PM
Wind

I was just curious, Beth. Sometimes it's the liquid that people put on their cereal that causes the problem or the gas.

Re: Beth, I'd do some digging... new
      #199537 - 07/26/05 02:12 PM
Wind

Beth:

I'd do some digging re: gastropareisis and acceptable forms of grains. It's my understanding that wholegrains only cause agony to people with this condition.

Don't panic or jump off a cliff, Beth. I just think you need to do some deeper investigation re: what to eat for gastropareisis and how to handle your C most effectively and safely with that in mind.

Re: rotation--try a 3 or 5 day cycle.

OR, be like me and just not eat anything suspect and if it causes you distress, eliminate it completely. I can stand peach farts or banana farts or apple farts and carrot farts but sprout farts or broccoli explosions (or trapped explosions)..., not to mention the obscene gut wrenching spasms and pain and nights of torture that accompany the anti-nutrients which give me D...
(I'm babbling, but you catch my drift. If it bugs me, I don't eat it. If I even suspect it might bug me I don't eat it and may only try it in my own company.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Beth/gas/omega3 oils??? new
      #199813 - 07/27/05 08:14 AM
Wind

Beth:

I had another brainwave re: the possible source or contributor to your gas problem.

Are you taking an omega 3 or omega 3-6-9 essential oil supplement? (Fish or plant based, i.e. flax?)

THESE GIVE SOME PEOPLE REALLY SMELLY GAS. They also make some people burpy and bloated and just gassy in general. It's like adding FUEL (or oil) to the fire!!! They even give some people D. (I know you're C)

Also, as previously mentioned, I'd do some in depth digging re: fiber and gastropareisis. It's my understanding that the wholegrain stuff antagonizes the situation.

Perhaps--and I'm not positive it will work--if you're taking a fish or flax cap./supplement, switching to something that "smells better" might take the edge off the distressing odour? (I'm thinking evening primrose?) It's challenging to avoid all sulfur in the diet and be healthy as it's a component of protein amino acids.

Kate, IBS-D.

I take flax capsules new
      #199862 - 07/27/05 09:02 AM
Augie

I was taking th Omega 3-6-9 but thought they were causing gas so I switched to plain flax as it has no fish oil. I thought this would be safe as there is nothing smelly in them.

Laurel takes Primrose Oil...not sure why she chose that one over the others..if it was because the others were problematic?

I thought the oil would help lubricate me and help the C...it seems like lots of people on the board have found help with them because they can cause BMs, which is what I want.

If I remove the fiber, how will I ever have a BM? Is this true for SF as well...or just IF?

--------------------
~ Beth

#201420 - 08/01/05 12:19 PM
Shakasue

Reged: 08/01/05
Loc: USA

Wow - I can totally relate to you. One thing I have foudn is that I can't tolerate preservatives of any kind. And this makes for al onger grocery trip for sure. I recently switched to organic egg whites from the regular store egg whites to see if that helps. They are expensive, but if it helps me, then it's worth the extra $$$.

About your food list - I am still not sure if oatmeal helps me or hurts me. Like Heather said, it is soluble fiber and a great way to start the day. But I bloated last week when I ate that with egg whites. You might want to try an organic oatmeal or eliminate all together for now.

Let me know how it goes - as I can't seem to mnake any headway on finguring out my triggers.

Hang in there,
Sue

Sourdough new
      #201424 - 08/01/05 12:26 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I eat sourdough all the time - there's tonnes of it about in the UK!?!

Re: Oatmeal new
      #201425 - 08/01/05 12:27 PM
Shakasue

Hi Linz:

What does "IF" mean? I seem to have a problem with oatmeal, but I am eating the larger 100% rolled oat variety. Did I understand you correctly to say that oatmeal, when finely, ground, is better for you?

Thanks!
Sue

Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201428 - 08/01/05 12:31 PM
Augie

reduce the gas for you? Do they even make organic Oatmeal? I really cannot afford organic prices, unfortunately. I know they are probably better, but I am on a very limited income.

Does the organic oatmeal bother you or just the regular Quaker brand?

Isn't it frustrating!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201432 - 08/01/05 12:48 PM
Shakasue

Like you, my budget is limited, so this last purchase will probably be my last. It was nearly $12 for 32 oz. of egg whites and that is nuts.

I have the generic brand oatmeal and Quaker also. Both have seemingly bothered me. I just emailed a gal who said that the finely ground oats are better for her as the larger ones caused problems.

I am thinking about going to Whole Foods where they have all of the loose grains and ask someone for help. Maybe we just need smaller oats to have happy GI tracts.

What type of oatmeal have you tried?

~ Sue

Re: Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201435 - 08/01/05 12:55 PM
Augie

But did the organic egg white make you feel better, even though they were more expensive?

I have used quaker oatmeal, but have started to put it into a food processor to grind it down more. Not sure if it helps or not. I have also tried McCannes. Don't know if one is easier to digest than the other. I have yet to see improvements with any change in brands, cooking method, any food in particular. I don't have a clue what my triggers are. It is so darn frustrating. I often just want to cry myself to sleep, and often I do.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth, what kind of egg whites are you using? new
      #201620 - 08/02/05 05:08 AM
Wind

Just asking because, while in the frozen food aisle, I noted that those "Egg Beaters" have all kinds of additives, i.e. carageenan and colours, guargum,etc. I don't know what other cartons of egg whites have added to them. Egg whites are pasteurized products, so there's probably something "added" to them...Note, this is not my area of expertise.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review