All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Beth, I'd do some digging... new
      #199537 - 07/26/05 02:12 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth:

I'd do some digging re: gastropareisis and acceptable forms of grains. It's my understanding that wholegrains only cause agony to people with this condition.

Don't panic or jump off a cliff, Beth. I just think you need to do some deeper investigation re: what to eat for gastropareisis and how to handle your C most effectively and safely with that in mind.

Re: rotation--try a 3 or 5 day cycle.

OR, be like me and just not eat anything suspect and if it causes you distress, eliminate it completely. I can stand peach farts or banana farts or apple farts and carrot farts but sprout farts or broccoli explosions (or trapped explosions)..., not to mention the obscene gut wrenching spasms and pain and nights of torture that accompany the anti-nutrients which give me D...
(I'm babbling, but you catch my drift. If it bugs me, I don't eat it. If I even suspect it might bug me I don't eat it and may only try it in my own company.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beth/gas/omega3 oils??? new
      #199813 - 07/27/05 08:14 AM
Wind

Beth:

I had another brainwave re: the possible source or contributor to your gas problem.

Are you taking an omega 3 or omega 3-6-9 essential oil supplement? (Fish or plant based, i.e. flax?)

THESE GIVE SOME PEOPLE REALLY SMELLY GAS. They also make some people burpy and bloated and just gassy in general. It's like adding FUEL (or oil) to the fire!!! They even give some people D. (I know you're C)

Also, as previously mentioned, I'd do some in depth digging re: fiber and gastropareisis. It's my understanding that the wholegrain stuff antagonizes the situation.

Perhaps--and I'm not positive it will work--if you're taking a fish or flax cap./supplement, switching to something that "smells better" might take the edge off the distressing odour? (I'm thinking evening primrose?) It's challenging to avoid all sulfur in the diet and be healthy as it's a component of protein amino acids.

Kate, IBS-D.

I take flax capsules new
      #199862 - 07/27/05 09:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was taking th Omega 3-6-9 but thought they were causing gas so I switched to plain flax as it has no fish oil. I thought this would be safe as there is nothing smelly in them.

Laurel takes Primrose Oil...not sure why she chose that one over the others..if it was because the others were problematic?

I thought the oil would help lubricate me and help the C...it seems like lots of people on the board have found help with them because they can cause BMs, which is what I want.

If I remove the fiber, how will I ever have a BM? Is this true for SF as well...or just IF?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food new
      #201420 - 08/01/05 12:19 PM
Shakasue

Reged: 08/01/05
Loc: USA

Wow - I can totally relate to you. One thing I have foudn is that I can't tolerate preservatives of any kind. And this makes for al onger grocery trip for sure. I recently switched to organic egg whites from the regular store egg whites to see if that helps. They are expensive, but if it helps me, then it's worth the extra $$$.

About your food list - I am still not sure if oatmeal helps me or hurts me. Like Heather said, it is soluble fiber and a great way to start the day. But I bloated last week when I ate that with egg whites. You might want to try an organic oatmeal or eliminate all together for now.

Let me know how it goes - as I can't seem to mnake any headway on finguring out my triggers.

Hang in there,
Sue

Sourdough new
      #201424 - 08/01/05 12:26 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I eat sourdough all the time - there's tonnes of it about in the UK!?!

Re: Oatmeal new
      #201425 - 08/01/05 12:27 PM
Shakasue

Hi Linz:

What does "IF" mean? I seem to have a problem with oatmeal, but I am eating the larger 100% rolled oat variety. Did I understand you correctly to say that oatmeal, when finely, ground, is better for you?

Thanks!
Sue

Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201428 - 08/01/05 12:31 PM
Augie

reduce the gas for you? Do they even make organic Oatmeal? I really cannot afford organic prices, unfortunately. I know they are probably better, but I am on a very limited income.

Does the organic oatmeal bother you or just the regular Quaker brand?

Isn't it frustrating!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201432 - 08/01/05 12:48 PM
Shakasue

Like you, my budget is limited, so this last purchase will probably be my last. It was nearly $12 for 32 oz. of egg whites and that is nuts.

I have the generic brand oatmeal and Quaker also. Both have seemingly bothered me. I just emailed a gal who said that the finely ground oats are better for her as the larger ones caused problems.

I am thinking about going to Whole Foods where they have all of the loose grains and ask someone for help. Maybe we just need smaller oats to have happy GI tracts.

What type of oatmeal have you tried?

~ Sue

Re: Did changing to organic egg whites .... new
      #201435 - 08/01/05 12:55 PM
Augie

But did the organic egg white make you feel better, even though they were more expensive?

I have used quaker oatmeal, but have started to put it into a food processor to grind it down more. Not sure if it helps or not. I have also tried McCannes. Don't know if one is easier to digest than the other. I have yet to see improvements with any change in brands, cooking method, any food in particular. I don't have a clue what my triggers are. It is so darn frustrating. I often just want to cry myself to sleep, and often I do.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth, what kind of egg whites are you using? new
      #201620 - 08/02/05 05:08 AM
Wind

Just asking because, while in the frozen food aisle, I noted that those "Egg Beaters" have all kinds of additives, i.e. carageenan and colours, guargum,etc. I don't know what other cartons of egg whites have added to them. Egg whites are pasteurized products, so there's probably something "added" to them...Note, this is not my area of expertise.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 452 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review