All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bread new
      #198812 - 07/23/05 11:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I eat bread fine, but we don't really have sourdough over here so I actually haven't eaten it since I got IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'd stick it out... new
      #198814 - 07/23/05 11:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...if I were you. Even going on Heather's diet can be enough of a change to cause temporary issues for some people....it doesn't neccesarily mean it's the worng thing to do.

Re: Brew some fennel tea, too--n.t. new
      #198834 - 07/23/05 01:34 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Re: So, are you saying all the foods I eat are bad?--S.O.S.! new
      #198837 - 07/23/05 02:04 PM
Wind

Beth:

1. There is nothing "wrong" with what you are consuming!!! I think is the accumulative effect of everything in your gut AND
all the new foods!!!

2. Some enzymes AND/or gasX might ease your distress/self-consciousness. Also, with your gastropareisis, are you certain that you are digesting your foods and effectively absorbing the nutrition? There's alot of alien, or re-introtduced foods in your system lately!!!

3. Perhaps try some rotation? Alter some ingredient ratios? This, plus enzymes and Gas-X is what I would do. AND I'D BE DRINKING LOTS OF FENNEL TEA!

4. Are there preservatives in that sourdough bread?

5. I was reading a little re: the production of sourdough bread. Yeast plus bacteria (lactobacilli) produce lactic acid. Wheat gluten retains the gases, i.e. and FORMS BUBBLES. I also read that the starch partially gelantinizes, enabling it to retain gas bubbles. Sorry, just digressing a tad.

6. Let's say you're baking something. All the ingredients are put together to form something that hopefully smells and tastes good. Now, most of the ingredients "match." Perhaps there is something in the interaction of ingredients in your belly that just doesn't match/co-ordinate and is ineffectively being broken down and causing a distressing stink?
7. Doesn't that flax give you gas? I don't think it's good for gastropareisis. Ditto for oats, from what I've read.
This concerns me.
8. I wish we could have deodorant for our colon like we do for our armpits!!!

I'll comb my brain, further and see what turns up. In the meantime, maybe do some rotation, drink lots of fennel tea and check out GasX and digestive enzymes.

Kate, IBS-D.

So, a food diary wouldn't help? new
      #199043 - 07/25/05 10:24 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

If I am okay for breakfast and lunch, and then in the middle of dinner I started to hurt and later was in horrible pain. So, are you saying it could have been something I ate a few days ago that just "hit me" at that time? Not something I was eating for dinner at the time?

Does this mean a food diary is kind of useless? I've never been able to pinpoint anything from them after doing it for 6 months. Frustrating!

I guess I'm just confused as to how I can start figuring out my food intolerances so I can avoid the offending foods and get some relief.

Re: So, a food diary wouldn't help? new
      #199123 - 07/25/05 12:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

When I have an attack (D for me, not pain) in the middle of a meal or within, say, an hour of finishing it, I believe it's something I ate at that meal. To me, that seems like a trigger. Of course, if I've been eating a little off-program for a few days beforehand, then I'm more sensitive to everything and something in the triggering meal that wouldn't have bothered me under other circumstances might do so then.

If there's a food or foods you know for sure you can eat without pain (white rice, for example), maybe you could consider eating just that food or foods for 3 days, then adding in other foods, 1 at a time, every 3 days. I know this would be insanely boring and not very nutritious in the short run, but maybe that would help you identify foods that you can and cannot tolerate.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Beth, are you eating your cereals dry? new
      #199298 - 07/25/05 07:17 PM
Wind

I just had a thought, Beth. Are you eating your cereals dry? I know you're on a cereal kick, lately for snacks. I know also that you've re-introduced gluten to your gut. I just wondered if you're consuming these cereals dry or if there is a liquid involved.

Kate, IBS-D.

I eat it dry, as a snack new
      #199411 - 07/26/05 08:59 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Why do you ask Kate? What's going on in that brain of yours?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: So, are you saying all the foods I eat are bad?--S.O.S.! new
      #199414 - 07/26/05 09:12 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

1. I do take digestive enzymes. Clueless on the gastroparesis as I have a whack doctor who won't give me any advice on how/what to eat and how severe the Gastroparesis is

2.Rotation? How many days is recommended to not have a food after eating it? My choices are so limited now, it seems. Could you maybe email me a few days of foods to rotate with? If too much work, don't worry! I'll try to work something out. Would help to have a dietician!

3.Sourdough is Whole Foods with NO preservatives

4.RE:Perhaps there is something in the interaction of ingredients in your belly that just doesn't match/co-ordinate and is ineffectively being broken down and causing a distressing stink?

This makes sense, but how in the world do you figure out what food and what ingredients are the culprits?

5. Flax and Oats...I need some fiber as I cannot tolerate SFS...so these I thought would not cause bloat like all the SFS I have tried. The flax is not recommended for GP, but the Oats, ground down I am pretty sure are okay if the GP is not too bad??? Which mine isn't severe. Maikko might know better as she has GP.

6.Yes, deoderant for rectal gas! You would make a fortune! I'd buy it!

Thanks for combing your brain, dear Kate. Although I do tend to panic and get sort of anxious at your replies! I'm scared of food in general, as my pain is so horrendous...and I can't afford to lose even more foods from my diet ...or increase the anxiety that is already out of control to the point I want to jump off a cliff most days as my mind races and obsesses over all food/tummy/symptoms and trying to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I eat it dry, as a snack new
      #199526 - 07/26/05 01:56 PM
Wind

I was just curious, Beth. Sometimes it's the liquid that people put on their cereal that causes the problem or the gas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review