All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food
      #198360 - 07/21/05 06:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Gas question again! How far back should I start looking for the culprit of a gas attack?

As my previous post indicated, I am experiencing lots of smelly gas. I know, how pleasant I am to be around these days! I can't stand myself....but it is getting embarrassing at work.

Is there any time frame in which I could pinpoint the food(s)? I snack throughout the day so this could be difficult.

Do you guys see anything that stands out in as gas producing? Millet, oatmeal, ginger chews, sugar in my sorbet, egg whites, licorice tea, 1 Tablespoon of flax, spelt or sourdough bread, Oaty Cereal, Brown Rice bread? I've been doing the flax, brown rice bread, and millet for a while now, so I don't think they would be the cause of this smelly gas now. All the other foods are new to me. UGH. This is so frustrating. Why can't I figure out my C, pain, gas, or bloat trigger foods? They are probably all different which would leave nothing!

Any ideas on the time frame question? It starts after breakfast usually and goes throughout the day...so maybe everything is the cause of gas at this time?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sorry, should have added this to my first post new
      #198363 - 07/21/05 06:34 PM
Augie

I don't want to start getting posting happy! I need to relax a little.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food new
      #198403 - 07/21/05 10:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I was going to say flax but if you were eating that before you started getting all the gas it's probably ok. So then 2 other things that stick out for me are oatmeal and egg whites. I know those can be gas/bloat producing in some. It's probably something you're eating everyday since you're getting it so regularly...?

I think your timeframe question is really difficult because different foods and reactions probably work on their own timeframe, i.e. oatmeal could take 3 days to 'hit' while egg whites could be immediate etc... Tough to say.

I know you've been adding lots of foods back in since you've started eating gluten again. Maybe you should try it more slowly? So that it would be a bit easier to pinpoint the gas-producer? Is it possible this is a reaction you're having to GLUTEN in general? Maybe you're more intollerant than you thought, or maybe it's just going to take your body a little while to get used to having gluten again (i.e. the way it would be with soy or beans etc.)...?

Just throwing out some ideas that come to mind. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Re: Trying to pinpoint the gas producing food new
      #198406 - 07/21/05 11:28 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Beth, one thing I recently began figureing out was that the one food I kept thinking was safe for me, is causing me to have awful gas later in the day. Oatmeal. I ate it every morning because it was the one food that didn't immediately hurt my belly, but everyday I would have gas later in the day that was just foul. Last week whlie camping I didn't have it and felt great the whole day. did this three days, but didn't quite put it together. Went back to oatmeal and the gas came back. Didn't have it the past two days and feel fine. Now keep in mind that I make the recipe from the "1st year, peaches and cream(with soy milk, and yes, I'v emade it W/O the soy milk) and I think that part of my problem is soy. I've noticed that I do way better with a Beano before any soy products. Also, I don't do great with sourdough, noticed that on your list, thought I would mention it. I know what you mean about the gas, mine had really been getting bad lately, didn't want to be around myself it was so toxic! I know I can't handle dairy, but soy doesn't seem to work for me either. Hope this helps, Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Beth....I know with me.... new
      #198407 - 07/21/05 11:30 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

that when I have bread for lunch I get all cramped up like a gas buildup. It generally happens about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after lunch and it's terrible! Anything with wheat in it these days will do it for me. I'd maybe stick to the diet you were eating before the gas hit and add one gluten food at a time (like white bread for example, once or twice a day). If you're still getting the gas stop that again and see if the gas goes away after a week or so. If it does I think you might just have your answer on gluten. Hi btw! Sorry it took so long to email you back. Hope this helps Feel free to write and talk about it!

--------------------
Amy

Any suggestions or thoughts are helpful, Laurel new
      #198527 - 07/22/05 09:18 AM
Augie

You made some good thoughts and gave me some things to consider. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.

I notice for the Reporting In, that you eat lots of egg whites, as does Elizabeth. I know Wind mentioned they had sulfur in them which is gas producing.

Does anyone else have problems with egg whites causing gas?

And I didn't realize oatmeal could cause problems. I thought that one was safe for sure! I was so enjoying it! Do you think Oat bran would have the same effect, if, indeed it is the Oatmeal?

I just thought about something. I usually eat Oaty Bites Cereal as a snack around noon, after eating Oatmeal for breakfast. Maybe that's too much Oats?

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you still eating Oatmeal? new
      #198530 - 07/22/05 09:21 AM
Augie

Have you tried making it with Rice Milk instead of Rice Milk? Your post sort of is confusing because I'm not sure if you are saying you have a problem with oatmeal or just when it is made with soy milk.

Or have you decided the oatmeal is the problem and just removed that from your diet entirely? Good detective work, BTW!

Interesting about Sourdough...you are the first person I've heard mention Sourdough as a gassy problem food.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Amy! new
      #198532 - 07/22/05 09:24 AM
Augie

You'll be hearing from me soon!

What kind of bread are you eating that causes you gas? What happens if you eat GF bread?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are you still eating Oatmeal? new
      #198541 - 07/22/05 09:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hello, Beth! I haven't had a problem with oatmeal giving me gas; however, I definitely have felt these effects from sourdough bread and from eating too much yeast-containing bread. So, I can tolerate pasta just fine, but if I have several slices of French bread or sourdough bread I get very bloated, gassy, and, usually with the sourdough, may even get D.

Re: Are you still eating Oatmeal?
      #198587 - 07/22/05 11:52 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Sorry to be confusing. Yes, I believe it is the oatmeal. I have made it several times W/O soy milk and still had problems. From everything I can figure, it is the oats. What has been happening with it is I'll eat it in the AM and be fine, no gas, no bloat and no D, then by noon on the gas and bloating just kept getting worse and worse. This is my 3rd day again W/O it and I feel fine. I did have a test done that showed I am a slightly on the gluten sensitive side, though I am waiting to see what my biopsy says next month to be sure. It's all so very confusing.
As for the Sourdough, some is made with milk products, so that may just be a problem for me.
Hope that is more clear, I tend to know what I mean and want to say, but sometimes it comes out entirely different.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 703 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review