All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
z bars
      #198252 - 07/21/05 12:57 PM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

does anyone know if z bars by clif are safe? they are a new "whole grain energy bar" for kids. the "whole grain" makes me nervous but the ingredients look okay...
website here

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: z bars new
      #198365 - 07/21/05 06:44 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, I read through the ingredients for the 3 flavors. I don't see anything that looks clearly IBS-unsafe. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is "chicory extract". I looked it up and chicory does not have caffeine, but it just sounds weird.

Each bar says it has 3 grams of dietary flavor with 1 gram of that being insoluble fiber, so I assume that's 2 grams of soluble fiber, which sounds like a good ratio.

All the bars say "May contain traces of wheat, dairy or other nuts". I'm assuming that's from equipment cross-use which should mean the dairy is virtually indetectable and therefore wouldn't be an issue.

The percent of calories from fat is below Heather's 25% limit:
Caramel Apple flavor has 120 calories, 15 from fat (12.5% of calories from fat)
Chocolate Brownie flavor has 120 calories, 20 from fat (17% of calories from fat)
Peanut Butter flavor has 130 calories, 25 from fat(19% of calories from fat)

I'd say, give it a cautious try. And please post the results.

BTW, I thought it was interesting that zBar is "the first kids' snack to be created to comply with SB-19, California's Senate legislation limiting fat and sugar in foods offered within the state's elementary schools". Hey, if it's good enough for the Governator it's good enough me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198387 - 07/21/05 08:50 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I love Ah-nuld

And I'm going to pick up a box of those Z-bars next time I'm out.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#198430 - 07/22/05 05:36 AM
Sand

Quote:

I love Ah-nuld Of course you do - Republican, fitness. On the other hand, I love him, too, and I'm a Democratic (mostly) sloth. Have you ever seen the documentary "Pumping Iron"? It's a primer on the power of charm.

And I'm going to pick up a box of those Z-bars next time I'm out. Oh, good. Please post what you think. The Brownie one sounds very tempting.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198511 - 07/22/05 08:23 AM
e_mcmaster

You crack me up. The one place where the left and right can actually have civil conversations because we all have IBS in common. Ironic, isn't it? But I'm certainly not complaining

I was thinking about running by the health food store today, so I'll probably pick up a box if I don't forget and will post the results for you!

--------------------
Elizabeth

#198561 - 07/22/05 10:39 AM
caths

next time i need a quick snack, i'm going to grab one and let ya'll know how it goes!

--------------------

Z bar REVIEW!!! new
      #198608 - 07/22/05 12:34 PM
e_mcmaster

I bought the Chocolate Brownie Zbars today and they are FANTASTIC! Sooo good for a chocolate lover like me! And at only 120 calories for a decent-sized bar (about 5 good bites), they are totally add-able to my daily calorie intake. YUMMMM!

--------------------
Elizabeth

now eating the chocolate brownie... new
      #198613 - 07/22/05 12:45 PM
caths

so i decided to take one for the team and try the chocolate brownie z bar. how could i resist with a trader joe's 2 minutes away from my office. it only cost 48 cents too! i took my first bite and thought, "hmm, this is strangely on the salty side for a brownie.." but as i took more bites it's actually pretty decent. it's like a hybrid between a brownie and a soft cookie with oats in it (i bet it would taste better without the crunchy oats, but then where would the nutrition factor in i suppose.) here's what i think:
looks: the chocolate drizzle on top looks tasty, looks dark and fudgy, the oats caused me to do a double-take at first (i thought, whoa! what is that white stuff??)
texture: kinda like a vegan cookie, not the best texture. luna bars are better here bc they aren't trying to be soft and fudgy.
taste: on the sweet side, but not overly so. it's not really chocolately enough for me, but i'm a total chocoholic so others may disagree. but it is a nice to satisfy a chocolate fix for us po' IBSers. in conclusion, i'd stick with luna bars for taste, but i'll probably still try the other two z bar flavors out of curiousity. one good thing is that z bars are lower in calories and fat (but also in size and nutrients). better if all you want is the taste of some chocolate i suppose.
tummy affect: so far so good! seems safe to me
*on a side note, i had the cookies n cream luna bar today and i thought it was amazing! it didn't taste chemically at all and tasted like a real dessert, something i could eat before i had IBS. definately my new favorite! yes that's right, a luna bar and a z bar already today...i seriously think CLIF could run its business soley off of me!*
whew that was long! i think i'm going to become a food critic now...

--------------------

Caths and Elizabeth - oh, goodie, a new treat to look for. Thanks, guys. -nt- new
      #198624 - 07/22/05 01:06 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review