All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Smelly gas with no food culprit
      #197978 - 07/20/05 07:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I did a search, but gas posts are numerous!

Why do I have such smelly gas morning and night even though I don't eat any gassy foods? I don't eat brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, any soy, onions, etc...but I have awful smelly gas!

What causes this when there is no gassy foods in my diet?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Smelly gas with no food culprit new
      #197987 - 07/20/05 07:29 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmm. Well my worse culprits are caffeine and dairy but I guess you're not touching them!

It could just be your body adjusting to your change in diet. Give it a few days perhaps?

#198112 - 07/21/05 08:01 AM
Augie

Well, I really haven't made that many changes. Only changed my cream of brown rice to oatmeal, my GF bread to sourdough and spelt and my GF cereal to wheat free. Nothing else. Plus, this started before the changes, I'm pretty sure.

Does anyone else get smelly gas without eating gas forming foods?

--------------------
~ Beth

#198139 - 07/21/05 08:37 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

You aren't alone- I have stinky stinky stinky gas. Sometimes I can't stand the smell myself. I don't eat onions, garlic, brocolli, cauliflower, beans, anything like that either but I still get terrible smelling gas. No idea why.

Well, generally as a rule... new
      #198157 - 07/21/05 09:05 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I consider ALL gas smelly!! However, I do know what you mean. I think for me, it's when there is, hmm...how to put this delicately....ok, I can't. When there is stool in my intestines that hasn't been passed. That's what my doc said when I saw him. Also, I've noticed certain spices can do it to me too....like maybe cumin, and curry. I've noticed when I get the bad stuff, it coicides with some kind of abnormality in my BM schedule. (when I'm going normally, and often enough, I don't get it).

--------------------

#198158 - 07/21/05 09:06 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

its possible that you have some bacterial overgrowth in you (bad bacteria, not good). If you can, i would try eating some soy yogurt or taking a probiotic and seeing if that helps.

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#198164 - 07/21/05 09:15 AM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

My gas smells like jasmine. At times it also has the aroma of a fine pipe tobacco. As an old commercial for Irish Spring soap used to say "Manly, yes! But I like it too!"

Seriously, I subscribe to the hidden cause factor. FOr example, for a period I was eating a lot of oatmeal cookies from a bakery because oatmeal is safe (per Heather) and they were very tasty. But my gas was so repugnant that my dog would bark if I passed gas in the next room! So, not being a total idiot, I realized that something in the cookies, perhaps the fat content or the corn syryp, was causing it. I stopped eating the cookies, and went on a fast for a day (just eating chicken rice soap and sourdough toast) and the gas went away.

However, I eat a lot of white chicken, and it naturally causes gas with a slight aroma. The aroma doesn't set off the smoke detectors in the house, but is a wee bit pungent.

My doctor said gas is caused by bacteria digesting food in the large intestine that was passed on by the lazy goofs in the small intestine who should have digested it, but didn't. So the large intestine has industrial strength bacteria that go at it. The by product is gas. I never heard the fermenting turd theory, since the large intestine always holds your stools for from 1-3 days before finally expelling them. I again think it is the constituents of the food in the intestines. So, stop eating suspect foods, just to experiment. With IBS, you gotta experiment rather than just go by the book. The book (even Saint Heather) may say something is fine, but it ain't for little ole you!

Also recall that when you are nervous, the intestinal system reactions at subliminal levels. Gas is often a nervous reaction also. When I am nervous about a social engagement, even if I eat nothing all day, I am a bit of a putt butt. Of course, they say that the large intestine is working on food you ate from 1-2 days ago (depending on how much fiber is in your diet). So, if you eat lunch and get gas, the gas may not be the piece of celery you ate at lunch but something from last night's dinner.

Sometimes I'd like to be the tin man from the Wizard of Oz. His only worry in life was having an oil can nearby.

Re: Well, generally as a rule... new
      #198173 - 07/21/05 09:24 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

LOL as a general rule $h#t floats and farts stink.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

I do take a probiotic new
      #198215 - 07/21/05 11:03 AM
Augie

Maybe it's not a good one? It's PB8 and Primal Defense.

soy gives me gas, I think?

--------------------
~ Beth

Does Oatmeal cause gas? And the "new foods" new
      #198217 - 07/21/05 11:05 AM
Augie

Do you think that maybe my body will adjust to the new foods and eventually not be so gassy? Or is this a sign that the gluten really is a problem and I should go back to a GF diet? How long do you think I should wade this out to see?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Well, generally as a rule... new
      #198266 - 07/21/05 02:03 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Generally, I agree with you, Carol. But, sometimes my farts don't stink. Sometimes it's just AIR! Also, I frequently have sinking poos and I know that's not healthy.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (07/21/05 02:04 PM)

"Sinking poos"? Definition?--nt new
      #198271 - 07/21/05 02:22 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

Re: "Sinking poos"? Definition?--nt new
      #198328 - 07/21/05 04:36 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's like silt or sediment. It doesn't have much of form. It looks more like sand or lining. Sometimes--don't laugh--it even looks tissue-paper like.

Kate, IBS-D.

Mine used to be air... new
      #198362 - 07/21/05 06:32 PM
Augie

Now the smell is acompanying them!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review