All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Has anyone had to have an Upper GI scope done?
      #1969 - 03/05/03 02:45 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I just found out this morning that I may have to have an upper GI scope done sometime soon. I have been having recurrent chest pains and my doc thinks it could have something to do with my esophogus(sp?). All the tests on my heart have come back fairly normal..just some minor valve leakage. I am nervous about any testing. He also wants to do a CAT scan on my abdomon and chest. What is the prep for an upper GI scope like? Is it as rough as a colonoscopy? I sure hope not! What is the test like? I'm not sure I want to do this!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone had to have an Upper GI scope done? new
      #1972 - 03/05/03 04:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I had an upper endoscopy done in October. I had no prep, just no food or water after midnight the night before. I think the worst part of mine was when they spray your throat right before. It numbs your throat to control your gag reflex. And really that was nothing. Then, you bite on this plastic thing that they slide the tube through, and I vaguely remember that. Those drugs work fast. Next thing I knew, I woke up, and didn't remember anything. I had a sore throat for a day or so afterward. Actually, I thought the whole procedure was kind of neat. (Yes, my doctor thought I was weird when I told him that at my follow up visit. ) They even gave me pictures to take home with me.

Trust me-if I survived, you'll be fine, because I hate tests, and I was really nervous about it. I had to have a colonoscopy in January, and that was a lot worse. The prep was horrible. I ended up throwing some of it up. I'm glad I had the upper done first, so I wasn't discouraged. Not that I wouldn't do it again. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (originally way back before I had the upper), but I guess the upper spoiled me since it was a breeze, and I thought it would have been easier. I hope that made sense!

Anyway, I also found out last year that I have a trace of tricuspid valve regurgitation and I think that is kind of the same as a leaky valve. I had to take antibiotics for the colonoscopy. I think I maybe should have had to take them for the upper too, but I'm not sure, because I'm still new at that. Basically, my doc told me to let any other doctors know that I need antibiotics if I need dental work, and they'll know if I need it for any procedures. Do you have to take them for your leaky valve? You may want to check that out.

Hope this helps to ease your mind!
Mags

#1975 - 03/05/03 04:57 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I had to have the upper GI done, but not with a scope. I drank the nasty nasty shake, but the up side was that I got to watch my stomach slowly appear on the tv screen as I swallowed.

My husband had the Upper GI scope done. I think it was just like Mags described... he was out pretty much the whole time and even got photos of his stomach to take home and show the family.

The only bad effect he had was that the doctor told him to go home afterwards, eat soft foods and generally take it easy for the afternoon. My husband instead went out to eat and shopping at the mall (because of course doctors don't know what they are talking about) and regretted it later!

In a nutshell, it didn't seem so bad, just make a little time to relax and pamper yourself afterwards. Good luck!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#1980 - 03/05/03 05:36 PM
Nugget

Thanks Mags! It does help, believe me.

I asked about the antibiotics today and I do have to take them before dental work.

#1982 - 03/05/03 05:45 PM
Nugget

Thanks, H2. It helps to talk with people who have gone through this. I haven't mentioned it to my husband yet, because I just found out today and the doc hasn't called me back yet to schedule anything. I'm not looking forward to the cost either. I have insurance, but will have to meet my large deductible first. I met it in one trip to the emergency room last year with kidney stones. Even though my husband is very understanding about these things...I'm not looking forward to telling him. It seems like I'm always sick with something it seems and he is never sick...or at least doesn't let on that he is. He hasn't been to the doc in probably 2 years. I've been trying to get him to go for a physical, but you know how that goes with guys. It's like pulling teeth! Speaking of teeth...he has no problem with going to the dentist, but forget it when it comes to doctors. He doesn't trust them. That's why I'm not looking forward to telling him I may have to have more tests. Is this making sense?

#1984 - 03/05/03 06:38 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Isn't it great to have people to talk to about this? Before I found this board, I was actually seeing a psychologist because I thought my symptoms were from "restaurant phobia." The psychologist even tried hypnotizing me to see if a traumatic event occurred while I was in a restaurant. Looking back I would have to say that is true... eating would be the traumatic event.

I understand about not looking forward to telling the husband. Mine dosen't trust doctors at all either. It used to be that I felt like a hypochondriac next to him. He was always fine and I never feel great. Lately he hasn't been feeling so good though. Although he was understanding before, he is much more sympathetic now that he has been sick quite a bit.

I have to schedule an appt with my doctor and see if he is willing to run the tests for me to see if I really am ibs... I'm not looking forward to it. I have a feeling it is going to be an invasive spring.

I see on your profile that you are a graphic designer... me too. I think on my freelance invoices, instead of charging a dollar amt, I will just write the name of the procedure the freelance job is going to pay for.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#1988 - 03/05/03 07:37 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Nugget - my husband had this done (it's called EGD...esophagogastrodoudonoscopy--ess-offa-go-gastro-doo-don-oscopy--I think is how it's pronounced)a few months ago and it's not as bad as the colonoscopy. I think the only prep, as far as I can remember, is not being able to eat after midnight the night before. Also, if you take aspirin or anti-inflammatory meds on a usual schedule, you have to stop taking them 5 days prior to the procedure. He didn't have to drink any yukky stuff and they put you in "lala" land so you don't remember much, if anything. That's how they found his linear ulcer in his stomach. He kept getting an upset stomach and nobody could figure out why until he had it done. So don't be hesitant about doing it.

I just found the paperwork for the procedure and for the EGD presurgery instructions:
1. Do not eat any food, drink any liquids, or chew gum or mints including tobacco after midnight. Abstain from alcohol for 24 hrs prior to admission.

2. Continue to take all prescription meds the morning of your surgery with a SIP of water unless specifically told differently by the surgeon or your anesthesiologist.

3. Take a responsible adult with you because you won't be able to drive.

Good Luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Has anyone had to have an Upper GI scope done? COST!! new
      #1990 - 03/05/03 07:44 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Nugget - I just came across the doc's bill for my husband's EGD. Ready?

Office consult $171
Upper GI endoscopy, biopsy $559
Office/outpatient visit $62

Haven't run across the hospital bill yet. When I do, I'll post that, too.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Please don't worry - it's easy! new
      #1997 - 03/05/03 11:09 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I have had two and there was nothing to it as the others have said you get a sedative and there isn't any prep other than fasting for a short time.

Go for it!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Has anyone had to have an Upper GI scope done? COST!! new
      #2002 - 03/06/03 07:38 AM
Nugget

Thank you so much for all your information, Sharon. It sure helps ease the anxiety of it all. I don't even know if I will actually have to do this yet, but the doc said I probably will...nothing has been scheduled, though, and I am already nervous about it which isn't helping my IBS. Arrrggghhh! I won't tell my husband until it is a sure thing. He is supportive, but doesn't trust docs. It's a "guy thing" I think.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review