Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Slow-Transit Constipation Support
      #196734 - 07/18/05 09:18 AM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

Hi all,
I am now thinking I probably have slow-transit constipation, not IBS. Could someone please give me some resources -- support, message boards, community like this one? I would sooo appreciate it!

Thanks,

Karen from Kansas

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Slow-Transit Constipation Support new
      #197097 - 07/19/05 06:16 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Hi Karen.
have you done a google search or a yahoo search for some direction? I personally don't know of any such links, groups. But if you find one please pass it on so other folks can enjoy also.
Thanks.

#197122 - 07/19/05 07:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I;m curious...have you had the Sitz Marker test?

Slow Transit Markers new
      #198468 - 07/22/05 07:05 AM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

No, but my doc has diagnosed before. It really would be a waste of time. In the past, when I have gone for colon hydrotherapy, I didn't go for five days after that. And then, three days after that.

You can also do home tests, like swallowing corn whole or taking activated charcoal and seeing how long it takes for it to come out.

I have been on every kind of laxative except stimulant laxatives. My colon is just so unresponsive. When I prepped for a colonoscopy (and did take a stimulant prep kit that time), the gallon of Go-Lightly did not come out. I lied on the sofa, distended and miserable all night long. They had to get it out at the hospital with 2 hours of enemas. The docs were amazed. At that time, my doc told me to do water enemas regularly, and I do, just to keep from getting very sick and backed up.

I was happy to find helpforibs.com, but realize now, I am NOT "one of you." No pain. No feeling at all -- except lots of pressure and fullness.

So, I need some support, you see. I feel so alone.

Karen

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

#198719 - 07/22/05 07:16 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Karen,
How are you doing? Your symptoms sound SO similar to mine. I did have the Sitz marker test and a myriad of other tests; in fact, the doctors found structural problems with me. Namely, that my rectal, pelvic muscles were causing "obstructions" for the passage of stool out of my body. You might suggest having these tests done--defogram and anorectal manometry to check for structural abnormalities and also pressure problems (in your rectum) that impact getting rid of stool.

Like you, I had two colonoscopies because the first one was "unclear" given that the fleet didn't clean me out. When they took a CAT scan, they found large amounts of stool impacted in my colon. I, too, drank the 4 liters of Go-Lytely and had ONE bowel movement. Now, I am on miralax 3x/day as well as Zelnorm 2x/day with SF, etc. It's been five days now since my last BM-and I have ended up at hospital three times in past 2 months for dehydration due to vomiting and chronic D from all the back-up. So I can totally relate to what you are going through.

I would suggest those tests to your doctors and see what they think...It may be something structural which, through biofeedback treatment, may be greatly helped!

Good luck!

#199000 - 07/24/05 04:39 PM
KellyIA

Reged: 07/23/05

Karen,

Kelly from Iowa here. You sound alot like me. I had taken laxtives for 15+ years. Done several studies and had countless tests done. Taking laxatives did not guarantee that I would have a movement each day or even every 3 days. I was having this done at the University of Iowa. I had gone to a research doctor who kept wanting me to do studies.

I went to a local surgeon who read all of my chart from the UofI. He said he could perform what is called a "subtotal Colectomy". He removed all but 12" of my large intestine to let the stool pass thru faster and looser. I had this done on June 27. I am passing more and it is looser. Now kinda solid but not hard. I go more times a day, but I am able to hold it if I am not at a toilet.

But, I have had other troubles along the way not associated to my problem. Once these are cleared up I hope to seeing advantages. I hope there are some.

One thing I have noticed now is that foods I tolerated before seem to bother me now. Maybe it did before and I did not realize it at the time. I am paying closer attention to what I eat. I am getting a lot of small intestinal gas. I had lots of gas and pressure before and it never moved, so I am not sure if it was in the large or small. I am still trying to coordinate my muscles to pass the stool.

Write me back if you having any questions.

Kelly in Iowa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review