All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fennel Seeds in Food Instead of As a Tea
      #196296 - 07/15/05 07:56 PM
S. D.

Reged: 07/15/05

I've read fennel as a tea is helpful for IBS, but I do not like to drink teas. Would it be ok to add fennel seed to foods being cooked (such as sauces for pasta)? Could it be just sprinkled on to a food, or would the fiber content negate the benefits? Thank you for any enlightenment. SD from SD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel Seeds in Food Instead of As a Tea new
      #196322 - 07/15/05 11:03 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Very good question! I don't care for fennel tea either. I've heard of crushing them though...

I have found fennel powder new
      #196402 - 07/16/05 10:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

at Whole Foods or Wild Oats, can't remember. It is a smooth powder consistency that is much safer than the seeds. It's in the herbal/spice/supplement section in those small containers with the scoops to dish out into the plastic bags.

Now, I just need to figure out what to put it on! Any suggestions?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Fennel is great with.... new
      #196404 - 07/16/05 10:54 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

both chicken and fish dishes, because the aniceedy (sp?) taste compliments them!!

Re: Fennel is great with.... new
      #196414 - 07/16/05 12:56 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

If you're looking for something easy on the tummy, powdered fennel is great in chicken soup, and rice/rice noodles. Also tasty on soy ice cream (dont cringe till ya try it!!)

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Re: I have found fennel powder new
      #196428 - 07/16/05 02:44 PM
S. D.

Reged: 07/15/05

I was the one with the question of putting fennel seeds into sauces (like spaghetti sauce) but was curious about the hull negating the benefits of the fennel.

I have a recipe for lasagna that called for fennel seeds. They really do taste like little bits of licorice, so a little bit goes a long way.

Thank you for your replies. I am really going through it with back and forth IBS. Can't get stable, even though I am not cheating!!! Was diagnoised IBS after having a dentist prescribe clindamyacin for a tooth problem. Had 6 months of "fun" with that; finally took sacramycees bolaurdi and acidopholus probiotics from the health food store. The c. diff. infection is gone, but the G.I. Dr. says the IBS is a "lingering aftereffect" that I should get rid of. I sure hope so. I've tried about a week now of SF diet and yesterday, instead of C for 5 days, I had SEVEN runs to the toilet ("normal" but very abnormal behavior) as well as this crazy urge to urinate that the Dr. ruled out as caused by UTI. Puzzled but happy someone replied to my question about fennel seeds. SD from SD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1389

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review