All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hello
      #196267 - 07/15/05 06:46 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

It's been awhile since I visited the board. I guess to stir up banter, does anyone suffer from IBS attacks brought on by psychological matters. When I say this, I need to explain. Heather's advice and books have helped me come to some measurable levels of dealing with my IBS. However, I am still battling psychological issues that trigger my IBS, i.e. Panic and Anxiety, stress, worry, etc that seems deeply rooted in my unconscious. I live almost like a hermetic. I barely go out except to work. It's hard for me to get out, and I am 28. I feel like my life is wasting away. Does anybody suffer in this manner? I am tired of dealing with doctors. This has dwarfed my social life, chipped away at my long term relationship. My boyfriend can't understand IBS, and he thinks he is the problem. He asks me if you can go to work and sometimes go to the drug store, why can't you go out with me anywhere?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello new
      #196269 - 07/15/05 06:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

VERY common. Do a search on anxiety, panic, hermit, etc and you should come up with some good posts.

In my experience, arming yourself (the common arsenal is SFS, Immodium, anti-spasmodics, tea bags, maybe soy milk, painkillers...you get the idea!) and then facing the fear is the way to go!

#196276 - 07/15/05 06:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yep, it's definitely very common. I'm on anti-anxiety medication to deal with my own psychological problems and how they affect my IBS, because, quite honestly, nothing else worked. But the meds do the job nicely, and it's nice to have my life back.

Linz's suggestion is an excellent one. Always travel prepared! I never leave the house without imodium, safe snacks, drinks, peppermints, sometimes even herbal teabags. Being prepared for anything that might come up eases your mind on a subconscious level... and the more you go out, prepared, the easier and more comfortable it gets.

#196277 - 07/15/05 06:57 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Oh definitly. I think sometimes I am half the reason for my IBS attacks. I am feeling much better now that it is the summer and my doctor, and I think that that is because the pressure of school is off, and things like that. It took me a looooong time to start going out. I avoided it alot, and i am 17, so i have to go to highschool with kids who just dont understand what IBS is and the effects it can have. But, just stick with it, Follow the diet, and use all the things Linz recommened..I know exactly how you feel, but remember that were always here to answer your posts..and were full of support! But, to answer your question, that is very normal! Well, at least i think so!
Best wishes
honey_bun

#196278 - 07/15/05 06:57 PM
Lynn

Thanks Linz. The hard part is putting the foot outside the door. I have an IBS Hazmat Bag (as I charmingly call it). I carry Immodium, Toliet Seat Papers, Napkins, Small Trash Bag (I have tendency to cough when the pain sets in, if bad enough I have a tendency to cough so bad... well you get the idea), extra underwear, ginger pills, fresh mint and few other things). Even though I feel armed, I am so terrified in my mind. I feel so stupid for being overwhelmed by my problem. *a need to vent just a wee bit*

#196279 - 07/15/05 07:00 PM
Lynn

Is there any side effects to your anti-anxiety medication? I think I am seriously going to ask to be on some when next I met with my general physician.

#196280 - 07/15/05 07:00 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

That is a great idea to keep all of that stuff in a bag. I can't go anywhere without a pack of imodium in my pocket! Its always there...even if i feel great, i HAVE to have it there...and if i forget it, i get all nervous and then i get D, ahh its frustrating sometimes!! But totally normal!

#196288 - 07/15/05 07:26 PM
Darlene54

Reged: 07/15/05
Loc: Ohio,USA

I have not suffered like you have but I can understand why you do not go out. It's because you feel safe at home. You go to work to pay the bills, you go to the drugstore to buy your medications. You stay home because you can relax there. If you have an "episode" you have your own toilet, your own bed, etc. I can relate to this. I mostly stay home also. But I have come to the conclusion that life this way is depressing and we have to get out and do some things. Try just one thing with your boyfriend. Maybe just a short walk in a park(ones with toilets nearby and just a short walk to begin with)

--------------------
Darlene

IBS-C, suffers from pelvic floor dysfunction.

#196291 - 07/15/05 07:31 PM
Darlene54

Reged: 07/15/05
Loc: Ohio,USA

I agree. I bought a soft sided cooler with an ice pack. I take all my "stuff" that needs refrigeration with me in this so when I go to my moms or daughters house I have my own food so I wont get sick. I can keep peppermint tea in side pockets and can even keep my crackers in there(no fat of course)

--------------------
Darlene

IBS-C, suffers from pelvic floor dysfunction.

#196335 - 07/16/05 04:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Hazmat bag - I love it! lol. I don't always carry snacks, but my purse has a stash of mint herbal tea, Fibercon tablets, and Levsin. If I don't know how long I'll be gone, I throw in a Luna bar, too. If I'm traveling, I bring soda crackers to eat in the car and I pack my own oatmeal for breakfast.

I know what you mean about it being hard to go out. Before I stabilized (yayyayyay for the diet), I was getting scared even to drive to work - and it's not even a 10 minute drive.
Having to drive 20 minutes across town was agonizing. After I was stable, I just about cried the first time I realized I ran errands without any mad dashes to the loo.

Hang in there and I hope you are stable soon!!

#196343 - 07/16/05 05:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you tried the hypno program? I think you'd be an ideal candidate IMHO.

#196379 - 07/16/05 09:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

You're not alone. I've improved tremendously with therapy and
drugs--Buspar. Hypno helps, too. I'm still a "hermit," too, though. I quit school--I sure ache to return, though...just for the joy of it. I don't work--luckily I have an obscenely generous father. Each day, though I am learning to become less a mental prisoner in my own home, of my own "mind." You're right, though. The anxiety is PRIMAL, deeply rooted. I really only go out for appointments, food/water, and books/magazines/cd's (entertainment, distractions and preoccupation).

Hello, and you are not alone.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (07/16/05 09:31 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1633

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review