All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Obsessing over food! HELP!
      #195455 - 07/14/05 04:04 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I know this isn't uncommon for folks like us, but I'm getting so wrapped up in what I can and can't eat and how my gut feels at any given moment that it is starting to feel compulsive. I'm thinking it is because the rest of my life is so out of control that I'm trying to control the one thing I should be able to control, and that is food. The problem is that nothing changes anyway. I have D no matter what I eat, or don't eat. I am lactose intolerant, so I can control the worst of my attacks and gas by avoiding dairy...but otherwise there is no difference. I think about this stuff almost non-stop. Part of me wants to just give up and just eat whatever I feel like eating. In a sense I was happier when I did. Right now, what I wouldn't give for a pizza and a hot fudge sunday and not worry about the cosequences. How do the rest of you pull yourselves out of this kind of thinking? Is it even possible? I'm just sick of thinking about the toilet!

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hypno to the rescue! new
      #195488 - 07/14/05 06:52 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Have you looked into the hypnosis CDs at all? Because I was in the same boat as you about a year and a half ago. I felt like my IBS was controlling my entire life and that all I thought about was food. Some people here recommended the hypno CDs, and they really helped me to relax more about food and eating. They seriously gave me my life back. I would highly recommend looking into getting them. It's a great investment.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Obsessing over food! HELP! new
      #196079 - 07/15/05 11:43 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Quote:

I know this isn't uncommon for folks like us, but I'm getting so wrapped up in what I can and can't eat and how my gut feels at any given moment that it is starting to feel compulsive. I'm thinking it is because the rest of my life is so out of control that I'm trying to control the one thing I should be able to control, and that is food. The problem is that nothing changes anyway. I have D no matter what I eat, or don't eat. I am lactose intolerant, so I can control the worst of my attacks and gas by avoiding dairy...but otherwise there is no difference. I think about this stuff almost non-stop. Part of me wants to just give up and just eat whatever I feel like eating. In a sense I was happier when I did. Right now, what I wouldn't give for a pizza and a hot fudge sunday and not worry about the cosequences. How do the rest of you pull yourselves out of this kind of thinking? Is it even possible? I'm just sick of thinking about the toilet!

I have to be honest and say I have felt like this before! I started the diet a few years ago and when I got pregnant I found out that I could eat whatever I wanted...so off I went with the junk food including burgers, fries, milkshakes blah blah blah.

Well, after I had Ben I was thrown back into full blown IBS attacks...but I was way too stubborn to switch to the diet...I just wanted to eat what I wanted and that was that.

Finally, when I couldn't even go to the grocery store because I was having attacks, Not fearing them, but actually having them, I decided that was enough and I went back on the diet.

My point: I think you need to realize that these items are not worth the trouble. You don't have to hate them (in fact sometimes I indulge by popping an Immodium and having McD's - I know bad bad girl LOL)

But my life is so much easier now - I lean on this recipe board and redid my entire recipe box so it's not a constant reminder of what I can't have but what ALLL the recipes I have that are mine to eat LOL

I also do all the grocery shopping and allow myself to eat out at like Robin's Donuts etc and have a sandwich (turkey on white) and I feel like I am still treating myself.

I wish you nothing but luck. I know how it feels, but really I think it's all a matter of perspective and unfortunately only you have control over that

Good luck, hon!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 471

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review