All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
The heat my God the heat!
      #195166 - 07/13/05 11:10 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

to quote Elaine Bennes. I am doing really badly with the heat! I worked a total of 9 1/2 hours in it in 2 days and found that last night I got crabby and just basically spent. Today is a total wash out day! I am doing nothing but resting in the AC. I slept really late and feel absolutely crummy all over. Thank God for Heather's diet making me stable or I know I would have had D from the heat. I have now made ginger tea (I had no whole ginger- only mashed up jarred ginger) and I feel a bit better. I have had an on and off headache since Monday. The great news is that between now and next Monday I have 15 more work hours in the heat! I can do 5 tomorrow, 5 Fri and 5 Mon but what a pain! and the forecast is 90 for well into the future and it has been 90 for well into the past. Anyway maybe we can post ideas about dealing with the heat since we all seem interested in that right now. I do my best; I start at 7 and work until noon or so and then go home, have a cool shower and sit in the AC. I am not exercising at all today and I feel bummed about it, but even exercising in the basement would be too much for me.
One tip: I eat everything chilled or frozen when it is this hot. My cookies are even chilled or frozen.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The heat my God the heat! new
      #195169 - 07/13/05 11:16 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know, unbearable isn't it?

#195180 - 07/13/05 11:23 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ugh. I like to wet a washcloth under cold water and then drape it on my face or on top of my head. Or wet a handkerchief and wear it under your hat (if you wear one). Luckily, I don't have to work outdoors, but I don't have air conditioning and sometimes it's hotter inside the apartment than outside!

I think the worst part for me about the summer heat is the drastic change in temperature: going from 90 degree heat outside to a chilly 65 degrees in an air conditioned building. Some places are just TOO cold, so I carry my sweater around with me at all times, especially at the library where I work.

#195192 - 07/13/05 11:38 AM
Little Minnie

I do wear a baseball cap. Maybe I could try putting something wet in there. I carry a washcloth and extra water and wash my face and arms from time to time. I just always feel like my brain is being fried like an egg. I have no brain power at all when like that. (It is hilarious because when I am that hot I am not afraid of dogs at all!) And I was calling on a job and thinking how am I even going to speak coherently!
But as long as I am ranting, I have to complain about those crazy people who like hot and humid weather and don't understand how bad it is working outdoors in it! They make me irate!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#195307 - 07/13/05 03:57 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Supposedly the traditional baseball trick for keeping cool is to put a cabbage leaf under your cap. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a shot. I also thought that somewhere, sometime I saw something that goes around your neck, almost like those collars people wear when they have whiplash. It's full of something that stays cool, so it cools the blood flowing through your carotid artery which is suppoed to make you cooler overall. I have no idea where I saw it or what it would be called or even if they still make it. Boy, that's helpful, isn't it?

My brother is one of those people who love the heat and humidity. And he even loves working outside in it. I guess that's why he lives in Alabama and I live in New Jersey, where it's only hot and humid for about 2 months out of the year.

Here's hoping your heat breaks soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#195311 - 07/13/05 04:01 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

The heat is unbearable here, too! I miss my parents' A/C very badly right now. And I totally understand about the lack of exercise. I've been a complete slug lately, going from my air conditioned car to my computer chair to my couch. I keep telling myself that when it cools down I'll start walking again... but that doesn't seem to be happening! Yikes.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Hot, Hot, Hot new
      #195324 - 07/13/05 04:22 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm here in Houston, TX where it usually gets in the high 90's and will stay that way for the next couple of months.
I have lived here all my life and even though I should be used to it I'm still seeking the AC every chance I get.

I feel for you having to work out in the heat. I found these little kerchef's at Walmart that you soak in water and then refrigerate, it has somekind of stuff in it that chills. When you want to stay cool just take it out of the fridge and put around your neck. It really cools you off but only lasts about 30 minutes out in the heat. I use them when I mow the yard. Here's a pic.

Take care and drink lots of water.

Barbie

--------------------

#195325 - 07/13/05 04:23 PM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

ugg- I always have D attacks if I get too hot- It's been hot and humid here also- we are actually getting a break and having rain this week from the hurricane- it's been a nice break from the sun- not to mention on my a/c bill which was $175 last month!!

#195326 - 07/13/05 04:23 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Sometimes running cool water over your wrists helps a little. That's what I do when I am on my throne having a sweat attack.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#195339 - 07/13/05 04:59 PM
Little Minnie

I have some of the things Barbie posted above, but I have also seen commercials for those big stupid looking things to wear around your neck. Sharper Image or someone sells them. If they made 2 smaller ones to put on your wrists I would buy them but I look dweeby enough with my yellow vest and dirty feet that I don't need a freaky dog collar. I wish there was something like that but more inconspicuous.

--------------------

Today is day #30 of temps 100+! new
      #195341 - 07/13/05 05:04 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Tucson has been HOT this month!
My tummy's been doing awful, too! I'm sure it's the weather, I've been good with the diet and not stressed.

Yuck!
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Wow! new
      #195347 - 07/13/05 05:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And over here we've been thinking it's really hot as we've had alot of days over 77F! I love it, but so many people don't. We had a BBQ on Sunday and it got to about 82F and everyone came inside! I LOVE the heat.

Ah, but it's a DRY heat, right? ;-) -nt- new
      #195413 - 07/13/05 09:37 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

On the other hand... new
      #195414 - 07/13/05 09:38 PM
Sand

Quote:

I look dweeby enough with my yellow vest and dirty feet that I don't need a freaky dog collar.

One could argue that if you look so dweeby already, a freaky dog collar won't really make that much difference.

--------------------

But what do you all eat? new
      #195421 - 07/13/05 10:30 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

My goodness girl - what on earth do you do for a living?

I should bring this up on the recipes board but man, it's been 100+ here for several days and I haven't touched my stove or even microwave. What do you all eat that you don't have to cook?

I'd take dry heat any day... this humidity stinks!!! -nt- new
      #195492 - 07/14/05 06:56 AM
Kree

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Today is day #30 of temps 100+! new
      #195652 - 07/14/05 12:31 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04

Myra,

I totally agree with you. This heat is just to much. I also live in Tucson and it is just way to hot. I don't care that I have lived here all my life its still to dang hot to do anything.

I also feel that the heat could be causing stomach problems especially if you are out in it. Thank goodness I work indoors all day and don't go out until I have to go home.

I hope your tummy feels better soon.

Lets hope this heat wave stops soon and the rains start pouring in.

Take care,

--------------------
Michelle

Re: Today is day #30 of temps 100+! new
      #195699 - 07/14/05 01:40 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know it! Phoenix is RAGING FLAMING HOT!

I have a UTI that just don't won't wuit, dry mouth, AND cold sores!

Ho much do you drink a day? Even at 3 liters a day I don't get enough! 4.5 liters and I get by! CRAZY!!!

Stay cool

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

82 is not heat! new
      #195733 - 07/14/05 02:51 PM
Little Minnie

I wish I lived in England!
in this house: [image][/image]

--------------------

I am a meter reader. -nt new
      #195734 - 07/14/05 02:53 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Drinking lots of water! new
      #195751 - 07/14/05 03:39 PM
Dia

I haven't been keeping close tabs, but I know I fill up my 20 oz bottle several times at work, and then drink lots more at home, too.

Thank goodness I work inside! And I don't do ANYTHING outside before 7pm. Sure glad it's staying light so late.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Lovely Rita, Meter Maid! Where would I be without you? new
      #195753 - 07/14/05 03:41 PM
Dia

I'm sure you've heard that one before, but I couldn't help myself.

Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

no one likes me at this time of the year when AC bills are so high- nt new
      #195761 - 07/14/05 04:01 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Hello...fellow Phoenician! new
      #195772 - 07/14/05 04:28 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I'm in Phoenix too, very hot today! I live in North Phoenix. Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Wayyy too hot ain't it! n-t new
      #195795 - 07/14/05 05:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

LOL Tamara! new
      #195854 - 07/15/05 12:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think ALOT of us wished we lived in houses like that...with the money for upkeep of course!

You would not believe how many people complain about this heat. I love it! Okay I might go "phew I'm sweaty" or something, but that's not complaining, is it?

#195867 - 07/15/05 04:50 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I feel your pain. Next week, I have to run a day camp for three days...90+ degrees, humidity, and six elementary school students....alllll day. Yipe!

#196211 - 07/15/05 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

I am still in really bad shape! I had to work between 4 1/2- 5 1/2 hours this week Mon, Tues, Thru, Fri and can hardly handle that! My head and neck ache so bad and my upper tummy is sick and pukey. I am super dizzy and crabby. Yet I wanted to say that I still have not had any tummy cramps or D. I have a pretty long no D streak now. Wed. was slightly loose but not D. So I think that is great. However I am so miserable otherwise. I am living on sorbet.

--------------------

Awe, poor thing new
      #196218 - 07/15/05 04:40 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I forget about people like you who must work in this heat, while the rest of us sit in air conditioned offices!

Just don't forget your water!

I always thought an active outdoor job would be great for my IBS-C...but I don't handle heat or cold well.

I'm glad your tummy is behaving! That's great Tamara! On with the good tummy streak! You rock!

Hey, did you try that Rudi's bread yet? Just wondering if it tasted good and was worth getting!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Awe, poor thing new
      #196235 - 07/15/05 05:47 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks for your kind words. I need a lot of pity right now with heat sickness and a cold! I will buy the bread the second week of August when I go to the HFS. I don't get down there very often. My MIL goes but then it is hard to get the stuff from her. One time she bought soy ice cream for me and it all melted since she had to go to Target on her way home! I was pretty sad about the ice cream.

Having a physical (and solitary) job is good for IBS, but not when it is so hot. I just have to get through a few days like this a year. (I would quit but the pay is SO good.)

--------------------

Minnie, have you been snooping around outside my house taking photos?? Lol, I wish. -nt- new
      #196301 - 07/15/05 08:16 PM
Kree

--------------------

What a dream house..beautiful-nt new
      #196302 - 07/15/05 08:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#196316 - 07/15/05 10:15 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Quote:

to quote Elaine Bennes. I am doing really badly with the heat! I worked a total of 9 1/2 hours in it in 2 days and found that last night I got crabby and just basically spent. Today is a total wash out day! I am doing nothing but resting in the AC. I slept really late and feel absolutely crummy all over. Thank God for Heather's diet making me stable or I know I would have had D from the heat. I have now made ginger tea (I had no whole ginger- only mashed up jarred ginger) and I feel a bit better. I have had an on and off headache since Monday. The great news is that between now and next Monday I have 15 more work hours in the heat! I can do 5 tomorrow, 5 Fri and 5 Mon but what a pain! and the forecast is 90 for well into the future and it has been 90 for well into the past. Anyway maybe we can post ideas about dealing with the heat since we all seem interested in that right now. I do my best; I start at 7 and work until noon or so and then go home, have a cool shower and sit in the AC. I am not exercising at all today and I feel bummed about it, but even exercising in the basement would be too much for me.
One tip: I eat everything chilled or frozen when it is this hot. My cookies are even chilled or frozen.

Honey Child, you should live in PHoenix! It has not been below 100 degrees for weeks, and the average 5 p.m. temperature is around 110. Of course, you get used to it, and the humidity is around 6%.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review