All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Are these products still safe?
      #194568 - 07/12/05 10:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I found these product listed on the safe brand list, but the ingredients have now changed and I was wondering if they are still safe.

Rudi's Organic Bakery Country Morning White Bread bread

The other is the Quaker Oatmeal Squares (brown sugar). These contain 5 grams of fiber, but only 2 grams of it is soluble fiber..so is it safe to eat as a snack alone?

How about cheerios or honey nut cheerios? I couldn't find Team Cheerios which is on the list.

Also, are all brand pretzels safe, like Neumans? Here's the ingredients: Organic unbleached wheat flour, organic rye flour, organic brown rice syrup, organic sunflower oil, organic barley malt, yeast, sodium bicarbonate.

The rye flour makes this iffy for me.

How about some popular bagel brands?

I am new to eating non gluten foods! I need some help.

Are the HV granola bars safe to eat alone without a SF?

Thanks...I can't believe I'm going to eat gluten again after 20 months...I'm so scared.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these products still safe? new
      #194577 - 07/12/05 10:35 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Those breads look awesome. I have never seen that brand before. I am sure the bread is safe. And for the other products I feel it would depend on a person's tolerance for IF. Someone like Linz probably couldn't handle it but someone like me with little IF problems can handle whole grain oats really well. I eat cheerios still very often and I have noticed more IF than SF on the label.
I am pretty sure the pretzels are safe. I think it would have to say whole grain rye or wheat. And pretzels that were grainy like that would be awful. I have some Newman pretzels in the cupboard but haven't eaten them yet.
I don't know about granola bars or bagels since I don't eat them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

not sure if you knew this... new
      #194581 - 07/12/05 10:41 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I hate to be the bringer of annoying news, i'm on a wheat free diet (well, working on it) and not a gluten free diet, and this is why: everything you listed has gluten in it!! Tough, eh? I'm not sure what to say about that...To have something be gluten-free is very particular.
They dont make team cherrios anymore i dont think. It's one of those special seasonal cereals (usu during the olympics?) weird, i know.
barbra's bakery makes v. tasty products, several which are gluten free and pretty much all are ibs friendly. They are a name brand around me (I live on the east coast usa)
hth!!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Typo! new
      #194584 - 07/12/05 10:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm pretty sure Beth meant to say she was new to eating non gluten-FREE foods as she's been eating gf for ages with no improvement.

Re: Typo! new
      #194586 - 07/12/05 10:52 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

ah..that makes more sense!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Yep, that's what I meant!-nt new
      #194609 - 07/12/05 11:40 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Rudi's bread new
      #194750 - 07/12/05 02:32 PM
Little Minnie

I checked the site and they sell it at the HFS I go to every so often. I am going to get some bread next time I go (which will be the second Saturday in August- my book club day).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I don't think these products are safe new
      #194783 - 07/12/05 03:52 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Because the bread contains organic oat fiber, organic vital wheat gluten, and cultured wheat flour. I don't think these are safe SF basis.

And the Oatmeal squares have 2 grams SF, leaving 3 grams as IF, so I don't think those would be a safe snack either.

And the pretzels have rye flour which is IF.

not sure on the food, but good luck!!! -nt- new
      #194810 - 07/12/05 05:08 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: I don't think these products are safe new
      #194883 - 07/12/05 07:51 PM
Little Minnie

Why would those bread ingredients not be SF? What do you think is usually in bread?

--------------------

Re: I don't think these products are safe new
      #195146 - 07/13/05 10:40 AM
Cyndy

Well, french bread and sourdough only contain unbleached white flour, yeast, some water...

This bread containg wheat gluten and cultured wheat flour, along with the safer unbleached flour. I assumed that these are more whole grain than is safe...in fact, that's why the changed the bread, to increase the fiber content.

Also, the cereal looked too high in insoluble fiber to have as a snack since it is 3 grams IF and only 2 grams SF.

I don't know...I was just didn't think they sounded safe.

"white flour" new
      #195158 - 07/13/05 10:57 AM
Little Minnie

White flour is still made from wheat! There is no difference between unbleached flour and unbleached wheat flour. If it is whole grain then it says so. Pretzels always say wheat flour, along with most bread. I'm sorry to be facetious but I have never seen a field of "white".
I know this stuff is confusing and this is a question that is asked pretty often. People are suddenly reading labels and seeing everything says wheat and thinking it is unsafe. I hope this makes sense.

--------------------

Re: "white flour" new
      #195163 - 07/13/05 11:07 AM
Cyndy

Okay, I get that white flour is still wheat, but then why did they separate the unbleached wheat flour from the cultured wheat flour? That makes it seem like they are two separate types of wheat...one is unbleached wheat and one is regular wheat...as in wheat bread.

And vital wheat gluten is safe? That's not IF either? I'm just trying to understand so that I am better able to go to a store and buy a product and know it is safe. I wouldn't have known any of these 3 products were safe based on what the current labels say...I'm a bit new to reading all these labels and trying to understand the food industry!

Maybe I should stop trying to understand this and just eat the bread! And no, never seen white wheat fields!

well the answer is in new
      #195188 - 07/13/05 11:34 AM
Little Minnie

the fact that the bread is still called country white bread. On a label like that it tries to sound all healthy and organic. I am not sure what cultured wheat flour is but if it is whole grain than it says so. Besides we can still eat IF in SF based food and someone like Beth must eat IF because of her chronic C. So a bread that lists SF flours first and then later has something that sounds IF would be wonderful! Like putting dried fruit in your oatmeal. In fact I think a bit of IF in baked goods is a very safe way of getting IF. I try to get some with every food I eat. If I bake, I put 1/4-1/2c whole wheat flour in there on purpose or dried fruit/nuts.
If you go back to that Rudi's site for instance and look at the other breads the unsafe ones are first of all brown in color and they all list whole wheat first on the list and then some are terribly IF and have seeds and cracked wheat and nasty stuff like that. So avoid stuff called whole grain or multigrain or anything brown.

--------------------

Wheat gluten is what makes bread bread! new
      #195206 - 07/13/05 11:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's why gf bread is made so differently and often tastes so different. I'm guessing that maybe they specially cultured (grew) some wheat so the flour came out with extra nutrients....and that's why they called it cultured wheat flour and not just flour.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1950 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1825

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review