Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Are we really lactose intolerant
      #194041 - 07/11/05 07:09 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

or do we just have IBS.

People always say to me "Oh you don't have IBS = you are just lactose intolerant" I always wanna say - No I have IBS thank you!

Do we have both or do the symptoms of IBS D just match those of lactose intolerance.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I had a lactose intolerance test.... new
      #194050 - 07/11/05 07:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

and tested negative. So, I would say you can have either IBS or just lactose intolerance or sometimes both at the same time.

I still don't consume dairy though because Heather says it causes problems because of the other things besides lactose which is just the sugar. There is also the casein (protein), whey, etc that causes problems for us.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I had a lactose intolerance test.... new
      #194053 - 07/11/05 07:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I was tested as being lactose, casein and whey intolerant years before I developed IBS. IBS is alot more than just lactose intolerance...otherwsie all we'd have to do is cut out lactose and we'd be fine!

Re: Are we really lactose intolerant new
      #194142 - 07/11/05 09:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As I understand it, you can have both IBS and Lactose Intolerance; have either one without the other one; or have neither (I wish!).

Where do people get off telling you what you have? Do they think you WANT to eat a more restricted diet than you need to? Perhaps you could try responding, "Why, thank you. I'll pass your diagnosis along to my doctor. I'm sure he'll want to consult with you about it. Could I have your phone number for him, please?" (Can you tell this kind of stuff drives me nuts?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#194144 - 07/11/05 10:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Perhaps you could try responding, "Why, thank you. I'll pass your diagnosis along to my doctor. I'm sure he'll want to consult with you about it. Could I have your phone number for him, please?" (Can you tell this kind of stuff drives me nuts?)

LOL - I love your response Sand! The funny part is, I can totally picture Lana saying this with no qualms about it!

#194199 - 07/11/05 11:42 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you could try responding, "Why, thank you. I'll pass your diagnosis along to my doctor. I'm sure he'll want to consult with you about it. Could I have your phone number for him, please?" (Can you tell this kind of stuff drives me nuts?)

LOL - I love your response Sand! The funny part is, I can totally picture Lana saying this with no qualms about it!

Teehee - Well, you know Mags is right - I would probably say this to the people I know well. But c'mon hon - I wouldn't say it to strangers - I have some tact LOL

I just figured that lactose intolerance symptoms mirror that of IBS so people often misdiagnose the symptoms due to the same characteristics.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#194221 - 07/11/05 12:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Teehee - Well, you know Mags is right - I would probably say this to the people I know well. But c'mon hon - I wouldn't say it to strangers - I have some tact LOL Funny, I'd be more likely to say it to a stranger and less likely to say it to a friend.

I just figured that lactose intolerance symptoms mirror that of IBS so people often misdiagnose the symptoms due to the same characteristics. As I keep saying about the people on this Board, you're very nice.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#194253 - 07/11/05 01:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Remember 1 out of 5 have IBS! And it isn't just the lactose but the protein that is hard to digest. Tell them you can't even have Lactaid.
Yes it chaps my hide when people don't understand diseases like IBS. You wouldn't tell someone with CF they just have a cough.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#194257 - 07/11/05 01:26 PM
Jessica Anne

Reged: 07/06/05
Loc: Bucks County, PA

I have both IBS and Lactose Intolerance, so for me I couldn't have Lactose either way. Yet before I found out I had IBS I thought I could have Lactose free products yet I guess I was wrong since the lactose free products are still made with some kind of proteins that trigger IBS.

Re: I had a lactose intolerance test.... new
      #194266 - 07/11/05 01:35 PM
Jessica Anne

Reged: 07/06/05
Loc: Bucks County, PA

Quote:

Well I was tested as being lactose, casein and whey intolerant years before I developed IBS. IBS is alot more than just lactose intolerance...otherwsie all we'd have to do is cut out lactose and we'd be fine!

You sure are right about that! I'm Lactose Intolerant too and people act like that's all that is wrong with me. I try to explain to them that isn't really the problem here but they just don't get it. They think that I can have lactose free products and I tell them I can't because there are still casein and whey in lactose free products but they can't get it through their thick heads. So I just don't bother explaining it to them anymore!

#194275 - 07/11/05 02:00 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The IBS issue with milk isn't specifically lactose intolerance, but a larger issue of milk being difficult to digest and containing too much fat for IBS people to tolerate no matter how fat-free it is.

So whether or not you are lactose intolerant makes no difference. For most IBS people, it is best to stay away from milk. Of course, you might be lactose intolerant, but even if you aren't, you may still need to stay away from milk because of the larger overall digestion issue.

In my case, I happen to be lactose intolerant, milk protein intolerant and I am also allergic to milk. But IBS is the overriding reason I stay away from milk.

By the way, it's nice of people to try and diagnose you. I've known lots of people like this too. Basically it boils down to people not taking you seriously and thinking "it's all in your head."

I think it would do these people a world of good to walk a mile in our shoes before they unleash their ignorant judgments!

#194321 - 07/11/05 04:55 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lana Marie,

Fortunately I am one of the lucky few that can have small amounts of dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. So, I guess you could say I'm lactose intolerant and have IBS, too. Actually, I had the lactose intolerance problem way before the IBS.

Barbie

--------------------

I'm not lactose intolerant either.... new
      #194366 - 07/11/05 06:50 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

They tested me when I had my gastroscopy along with my CD test and apparantly I have all the enzymes needed to digest milk properly. So I think milk and IBS just don't mix.

--------------------
Amy

#194386 - 07/11/05 07:57 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've been milk protein allergic since birth. I am lactose-intolerant, and casein allergic, whey allergic. Milk is deadly for me and causes a nightmare of pain and more than gi sickness.

I think, though, for IBS-C, milk can constipate even if lactose-intolerance is not an issue. Milk is a huge trigger.

#194437 - 07/12/05 12:01 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I agree with everything everyone has said here. You can have IBS AND Lactose-intolerance. I found once I got real and got off dairy 100% that my symptoms subsided quite a bit. Unfortunately, I still have D almost every day, even with the IBS diet. The gas is (thankfully) gone, and I do feel a lot better, but I'm taking gluten out of my diet to see if that might be causing upset to my gut too.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1984

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review