All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Weight relative to C or D
      #193885 - 07/10/05 03:44 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

So many of your pictures are of thin people. As you can tell from mine, I'm not. Do C people tend to gain more because it's in you longer? I have been taking Paxil (for depression unrelated to the IBS) for a couple of years and am told that can pack it on. Also, I have little control over meals and eat an awful lot of starchy food. I wish I could lose about 100 lbs. I lost 120 about 12 years ago, but little by little it snuck back on.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight relative to C or D new
      #193911 - 07/10/05 06:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, if it's any consolation, I've always been primarily a D, and it's had no bearing on my weight whatsoever. I've been as heavy as 270lbs while still having severe D. The only health issue that's ever affected my weight was my VERY severe anxiety... I've gone through 3 or 4 periods of my life where I've been anorexic because of panic, most recently being last summer. I dropped from 160lbs to 100lbs. Now I'm back up to about 140... a good 25 heavier than when my picture was taken.

Anyway, antidepressants can indeed cause weight gain. As for your diet, starchy food is good for you, but the kinds of starchy foods (sweets vs. good carbs like potatoes) and the amount you eat is obviously going to affect your weight. You CAN control your meals. It just takes time, patience, and desire.

The Fitness board is a great place to hang out if you're serious about wanting to lose some weight while still following the IBS diet guidelines. Our wonderful Shell Marr has lost oodles of weight and is still losing... and is quite the inspiration! (PS - If I remember correctly, she's a C'er too, but I could be wrong...)

#193918 - 07/10/05 07:02 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm a D and generally bounce between 110-115. I used to be around 120-125, and I've never had a problem staying thin. I have a crappy metabolism since I don't exercise, so I have to stay thin by watching what I eat. I'm not a comfort eater so I'm pretty good about this.

I bet the Paxil isn't helping you any. The crappy GI I went to for awhile had me on ADs. I stopped taking them after two weeks because for the first time in my life, I found I couldn't stop eating. I craved sugar like crazy. I found myself eating handfuls of sugar-coated cereal out of the box.

I can't really offer any weight-loss advice, other than the obvious stuff that you already know. And you did lose 120 lbs once, so you know that you can do it. It might be tough to do while on the Paxil, but not impossible. You have to really want to do it, though, and when you're feeling rotten I know it can be tough to care about something like extra weight. Why don't you try posting on the Fitness board? A good support network can make a huge difference when it comes to a big goal like losing weight.

Good luck!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#193919 - 07/10/05 07:18 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Carol, I've been a D since the 80's and I am 70lbs overweight. I frequently take meds for agoraphobia (panic attacks) and it has packed on ALL this extra weight (well, the tons of food I craved may have helped too!) Since I've been on this diet I haven't taken any of the anxiety meds. I wanted to see what effect the diet had on my panic attacks which always manifest with D. Since May I've lost 10 lbs doing nothing different but the diet and supplements (I take hyoscamine, probiotics, acacia, immodium)..I only recently started checking my calories and fats daily. It was just too much information to take in to worry about my weight too. So this long speel probably hasn't answered your question too direct but I'm a D and fat! My IBS symptoms are greatly improved so far. Have a great day.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#193925 - 07/10/05 07:35 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I can relate to this too. I lean towards D, but am slowly putting on weight. Probably has something to do with the AD I am now on, but I have had to accept that for right now, feeling better is more important( at least that's what my hubby keeps trying to get me to see) than being thin. Later, hopefully, I can work on the other. I don't eat alot, but I do tend to crave sugar ALOT. I think alot of it just depends on the person.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#193954 - 07/10/05 08:44 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

I've wondered that same thing because I am a C-er and have trouble keeping the wieght off. I was 120 before getting sick and topped off at 175 after. I am now 130 (yay) only because I've been extremely sick for the last 3 months and haven't eaten much of anything. (was around 145 4 months ago). I think we suck everything out of our poop including all the fat unlike people with D. JMHO

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

I agree with Casey... new
      #193983 - 07/11/05 03:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and have actually found it hard to lose weight whilst having major D as my body goes into panic mode and won't let go of any fat grams! Obviously, I'm heavier when I'm C, but that's just poop.

Using fitday.com has been VERY helpful for me....you do need to track your cals whatever you're doing weight-wise quite often with IBS as it's so easy to either eat just empty cals or too eat too few as it's all so low-fat. I've done both.

Btw, I'm 146 pounds and only 5'2, so I am NOT thin. I had lost 5 pounds, but then my Fibro flared again and I haven't lost any since.

#193990 - 07/11/05 04:53 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Perhaps the Paxil is causing the weight challenge?

I don't think the weight thing is C or D related. I'm a D and
slightly underweight for my height (i.e. I should weigh around 120 or so, but I'm closer to 110-ish and have weighed less when I was really in a big bad D bout and depressed, etc. Now, I log/chart calories to make sure I get enough to maintain as well as vitamins/minerals/nutrients. I'm between 5'6 and 5'7). Living alone also changes how you eat.

Starchy foods don't cause weight gain, incidentally. Excessive calories cause weight gain. Perhaps try charting your food intake/journalling/logging? I generally eat at LEAST six times a day, and more like 8! Try eating mini-meals/snacks/portion measurement? Is emotional eating an issue? Are you using food as a way to numb out or a way to energize your body/mind? Be kind to yourself.

Kate, IBS-D.

I am a D - but was 60 pounds heavier before I found this site new
      #193995 - 07/11/05 05:52 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I am still not a skinny minny - I weigh between 129 pounds and 131 and I am almost 5 foot 2 - So I am at a healthy weight. Not too skinny and not overweight. I could probably lose a little more - when I lay off the baked lays and ADBs. Now that I have to try that chocolate cake for one -- I think I may be in trouble! I lost all that weight on high carb diet. You just have to watch total cals and fat.

I can't cook new
      #194013 - 07/11/05 06:41 AM
Portageegal

Well, I should say I don't have the facilities. As some of you know I live in a retirement home and our meals are prepared for us. We have no access to a microwave. I am lucky because I am tolerant of a lot of foods that are triggers for others. When I lost all the weight I was not on a 'diet' as much as I was cooking differently. NO added fat, yet I ate most everything. It took me 2 years to loose 120 lbs. Back then I only had a few attacks a year. I baked or poached foods and added flavorful sauces. I would marinate skinless chicken breast in low fat salad dressings and bake them. Here, I would kill for white meat. And EVERY nite we have canned soup (or a lettuce salad) and a sandwich. I'd like to go to a restaurant, but even though it isn't too far I am afraid I will have major pain before I can get home. I don't want to end up crawling up the street. Okay enough venting ....
Back to the subject at hand. Are C's more likely to gain than D's.

--------------------
Carol

Re: I can't cook new
      #194028 - 07/11/05 06:54 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I don't think so... that doesn't make any sense. C is a fairly temporary problem, in the scheme of things. I mean, fat is fat, and poo is poo, you know? People look for a lot of reasons (genetics, metabolism, etc) to explain being overweight, but what good does that do? You still need to lose the weight.

#194060 - 07/11/05 07:49 AM
eniarnna

Reged: 06/30/05
Loc: Northern Virginia

I'm a D but I weigh anywhere from 188 to 198 which is a bit overweight. I gained a good amount when I started taking elavil for my IBS (though it's original use was for depression) and paxil for anxiety/depression. From what I've learned of antidepressants they can really make you put on weight

--------------------
Raine
IBS-D

#194083 - 07/11/05 08:31 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, from my experience Elavil will make you gain weight. I gained about 15-20 pounds. I was glad to be able to lose it through diet and exercise when I went off the meds.

#194146 - 07/11/05 10:06 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

So many of your pictures are of thin people.

I have a sneaking suspicion (based somewhat on personal experience) that non-thin people are less likely to post their pictures.

To get back to your main point, I don't think C or D has anything to do with weight. I'm D and seriously overweight. I think that once food gets to the poop stage it's no longer available for calorie extraction, so how long it sits in you doesn't affect how many calories you get from it. (Man, I am getting some truly gross visuals from this.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Well, I'm A but mostly C new
      #194173 - 07/11/05 10:40 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and I am a good 50 lbs overweight. I think it's because when my pain starts, I eat to push things along-and the same reason I eat with GERD too. I'll be a support system if you'll be for me. i ahve no IDEA what I'm doing in the kitchen but I'm making an effort with my George Foreman Grill and steaming pots.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Raine, are you Icelandic? new
      #194175 - 07/11/05 10:42 AM
_Willow

if that's your last name in your name there, it seems very "horn-hat" to me. I'm 1/4 Icelandic and very proud. We're not a big bunch!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

guess I'm just fat then...... new
      #194278 - 07/11/05 02:06 PM
Portageegal

I just ate dinner. A PB&J, milk & coffee. I feel like I am back in grade school. Breakfast is in 14 hours. Around 7p.m. we will get snacks. Either 2 cookies or saltines and kool-aide. Yuck.

--------------------
Carol

#194285 - 07/11/05 02:34 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

I am C, but am at a good weight. C causes me to lose my appetite so much, that it seems to help in that dept. But, I do crave sugar when I get C, which is my downfall. If I am "going" I eat more because my appetite gets back and food tastes good again. (Also, I "feel fat" because my tummy is a little, round bloated globe so much of the time.)

I am a firm believer in two main keys to weight control:
1) EXERCISE! Without it, you do not keep the muscle mass that burns calories.
2) 80/20 PROGRAM -- Eat 80% healthy, natural foods like fruits, veggies, fish, oats, etc, and 20% "fun" foods -- like for me, Kudos chocolate covered chocolate chip granola bars or bread and butter.

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Re: guess I'm just fat then...... new
      #194329 - 07/11/05 05:20 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Could you try eating smaller meals more frequently? If you're truly hungry, it's likely that you're not eating enough. And maybe add more protein to your dinner - PB&J, whilst yummy, is not exactly a protein or nutritional powerhouse.

The best way to get your metabolism roaring is to eat very frequently - kind of like horses and other animals just graze all day long. This has completely worked for me.

And no, sweetheart, you're not "just fat." Without being able to eat lots of raw salads and raw fruit, we must eat other things to fill up on - and the "safe" foods are often high calorie. So it only makes sense that you won't lose initially in the diet, unless you were eating fast food all day long (or the equivalent). Since you'd dieted before, it's likely that you were eating somewhat healthy before you started the diet.

If you're interested, I'd love to help. But my feelings won't be hurt if you aren't.

Have a great day!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#194333 - 07/11/05 05:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I agree with Elizabeth.

First, don't "knock yourself down" psychologically.

Secondly, is it possible to make more IBS-safe/friendly choices available to you to "graze" on? I recognize that you are limited by your living situation. Can a doctor write a letter re: your condition and how essential diet is to your health/well-being?

Grazing is the best way to lose weight and live energetically, to keep the metabolism steady and stoked with fire to burn!!! It's not just a lifestyle, but a way of thinking/being. Try dividing your meals into mini-meals/snacks. Is it possible for you to have a mini-fridge or microwave?

Take care,
Kate, IBS-D, pain-prominent.

#194344 - 07/11/05 05:57 PM
Portageegal

No cooking in the rooms. As a matter of fact the board of health (or whatever) won't even let the kitchen have a microwave. We had one, but they made them take it out. They said it has to be a commercial one, and being that the kitchen never used it anyway ... it's gone. I'm going to have to go to the store and get some foods that don't need to be refrigerated that I can snack on. I'll get some dry cereal and rice cakes (UGH, I hate them) ... stuff like that.
I see my GI again next week and see what I can do about him me an IBS diet.
Oh, well .... such is life.

--------------------
Carol

Carol, you have to fight for this... new
      #194353 - 07/11/05 06:13 PM
_Willow

The food they are feeding you would have me doubled over in pain, crapping my INTESTINES out on the toilet. I used to have PB&J every day, and it's a MAJOR trigger for me. Milk sends me to the bathroom within minutes. They need to treat you with dignity there, honey, or you need to find another place to be or something. I really am concerned.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Carol, you have to fight for this... new
      #194356 - 07/11/05 06:20 PM
Portageegal

These places are all alike. I am in a good one. Only 36 people and it is like a big family. Next time the nutritionist comes I am going to ask to talk to her. As I said, I don't have as many triggers as most of you do. The PB&J was a better choice than tuna with mayo. I eat toast when I know my tummy is not happy.

--------------------
Carol

#194501 - 07/12/05 07:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I'm going to have to go to the store and get some foods that don't need to be refrigerated that I can snack on. I'll get some dry cereal and rice cakes (UGH, I hate them) ... stuff like that

Oh, no, there are a ton of good things that are safe and don't need refrigeration. I love pretzels and applesauce - Mott's Natural comes in 1/2 cup sizes so you don't have to refrigerate it. As for dry cereal, the Chex are pretty tasteless, but I love Corn Pops. You can check out this post for snack ideas and this post for more general food ideas.

Would you be allowed to have a small fridge in your room, like the ones that go in dorm rooms? That would expand your options a LOT.

Would you be comfortable asking family or friends to do a little baking from time to time and bring you something, like one of Heather's breads or one of the breads from the recipe index? It won't keep long without refrigeration (drawback of low fat), so maybe they could keep half and bring you half - the breads are really good so it would definitely be rewarding for them as well as you. For something that will keep and is incredibly yummy, there's Heather's Honey-Glazed Snack Mix.

When you talk to the dietician, see if the home can switch to low-fat mayonnaise. It really would be better for everyone and you might be able to tolerate tuna salad, then.

I hope this helps. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 768 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review