All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
yeast in breads
      #193804 - 07/10/05 09:48 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I know yeast breads are considered okay on this diet...but I am curious about how many people believe yeast free bread is more helpful with symptoms.

Anyone have any input on this topic? After doing a search, it looks like the conclusion is split.

any new input???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yeast in breads new
      #193814 - 07/10/05 10:08 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is a good question and one I've been wondering about as well. I try not to eat a lot of breads or products that contain yeast because I've noticed more bloating and loose stools when I eat them. HOWEVER, I haven't been diagnosed with a yeast intolerance or allergy nor candida. This was just one of those personal elimination choices--although I didn't completely eliminate yeast, I just cut down on it. So, I try not to eat more than three of yeasty bread a day (one or slices toast for breakfast, one or two slices of bread for a sandwich).

Also, I was having this problem when I began this diet, so it easily could have something else I was eating that was triggering the D or that fact that if you give me a loaf of sourdough bread I'll try my best to finish it all in one sitting (overeating!).

Note... new
      #193873 - 07/10/05 02:17 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...as far as I know, sourdough bread isn't actually made with yeast...and it's baking process is actually why some people have issues with it.

Re: Note... new
      #193884 - 07/10/05 03:16 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

how is the baking process in sourdough different?
as for me, i find that i get very bloated and full eating breads that have yeast, even after a few bites, but i have never been officially tested for yeast intolerance. I am always on the lookout for yeast-free bread products though! I am also curious to the answers of this yeast debate...

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Re: Note... new
      #193904 - 07/10/05 05:06 PM
lalala

I didn't think about the baking process. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to look into why that could be a problem. Unless...you know why and could explain it?

Hm. The sourdough bread I was eating had yeast listed as an ingredient...

Can you recommend a yeast free Bread maikko? new
      #193914 - 07/10/05 06:41 PM
Cyndy

I can't find one! A brand name and where you get it would be great!

Hm, all the Sourdough I see have yeast too new
      #193915 - 07/10/05 06:43 PM
Cyndy

Maybe they make it differently in England?

Re: Can you recommend a yeast free Bread maikko? new
      #193917 - 07/10/05 06:53 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Since I"m trying to eliminate sourdough as an experiment to my bad attack, I was reading labels this weekend on homemade breads and all the sourdough I found had yeast, I don't think the bread would get so puffy without yeast??? If anyone finds a yeast free bread, I'll give it a try.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#193957 - 07/10/05 09:33 PM
maikko

here are some links...it depends on where you live if you can get it...or you could try the recipe link...
Warning!! Yeast free breads in my opinion dont taste like regular bread...but at least its soemthing! they are all different, so you might like one or another...
ener-g loaf or
bread without borders (never tried this one)

Here is a irish soda bread recipe (no yeast):
3 cups wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for working dough
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups plain soymilk
2 tblsp dark molasses or black treacle (honey would be ok too)

Thoroughly combine ww and all-purpose flours, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in oats and make well in center.
Combine buttermilk and molasses in separate bowl. Pour mixture into flour well and gradually work into flour with fingers or spoon.Knead dough lightly 3 or 4 times on floured surface and divide in half. Shape into 2 round loaves, each about 5-inch in diameter. With sharp knife, score loaves with cross slash, cutting 1 inch deep.
Place loaves on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees 15 minutes, then reduce heat and continue to bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until loaves are brown on top and sound hollow when tapped on bottom. Cool at least 5 minutes on cooling rack. Loaves can be baked several hours ahead and reheated in low oven. Cut into thick or thin wedges. Serve warm or at room tempature.

Makes 2 loaves, 8 servings each.
Each serving contains:
140 calories; 257 mg sodium; 1 mg cholesterol; 1 gram fat; 28 grams
carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.55 grams fiber.

pacific bakery is prob. the most popular brand.
french meadow is at a lot of whole foods stores if you have it. Looks the most like bread.

Let me know if you try any!!

--------------------
--maikko

Help from a Yank please! new
      #193980 - 07/11/05 02:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I thought you got sourdough bread by letting the flour and water sit and ferment?????

#194016 - 07/11/05 06:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

The ener-g brand has 5 grams of fat per slice. That's pretty darn high. I did visit the other sights and most of the breads look like they are too high in whole grains and seeds. Or else I missed the safe one, which is most likely this early am!

Can I ask which brand you use?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#194064 - 07/11/05 07:57 AM
maikko

yeah, the pacific bread company has some breads that are yeast free and not whole grain and are wheat-free. Beth, I said in the email it was vermont bread co. i meant this one, pacific bread.

--------------------
--maikko

I still don't see one that is safe new
      #194073 - 07/11/05 08:07 AM
Augie

Am I a dork or blind? This is the closest I could find and it still contains whole wheat:

YEAST-FREE SOURDOUGH WHITE BREAD-no vinegar, low fat, sugar-free
Original Sourdough Bread* (SD) 20 oz. Organically grown unbleached flour, organically grown whole wheat, filtered water, unrefined safflower oil, sea salt

Kamut is wheat free and so is spelt but those are IF I am pretty sure, so wouldn't be safe.

Am I missing something, Margaux?

which ones are yeast free, wheat free, and safe? Or just yeast free and safe?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I still don't see one that is safe new
      #194116 - 07/11/05 09:12 AM
maikko

Ah, I see what you mean. They are all yeast and wheat free but may not all be ibs fiendly...but we can eat some IF (the ones that are not whole grain), so maybe that would be one of the times?
But even though they're wheat free, they arent gluten free. Whoops!
Even better though, I came across a better site. The only thing is you have to make some of these products yourself. But if possible, this def. looks worth trying!!!
check out this site . What do you think?

--------------------
--maikko

Re: Help from a Yank please! new
      #194118 - 07/11/05 09:22 AM
lalala

I looked through my cookbooks and you're right, Linz! While many of the sourdough starter recipes I found include yeast as an ingredient (like the commercially packaged ones I've been buying), natural starters are made by fermenting flour and water--just as you mentioned. I learn something new every day! I'll just include a passage from Joy of Cooking I found interesting:

A natural starter contains wild yeasts instead of the commercially packaged variety... Natural starters combine flour and water and allow the wild yeasts contained in the air and flour slowly to reproduce. However, wild yeast starters can be made with a variety of ingredients. Some natural sourdough starters are made with a combination of cooked or raw potatoes to which water, salt, and cornmeal or flour are added. Some use a combination of fresh or dried hops, potatoes, and cornmeal. And some use milk, yogurt, and flour....

The traditional starter begins with a small piece of dough made from flour and water. It is fed on a daily basis with fresh flour and water until the "wild" yeasts reproduce enough so that the starter can be used to make bread. During this slow fermentation process, bacteria in the starter also reproduce and cause the starter to sour.

A somewhat confused Yank here new
      #194153 - 07/11/05 10:18 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I looked through my cookbooks and you're right, Linz! While many of the sourdough starter recipes I found include yeast as an ingredient (like the commercially packaged ones I've been buying), natural starters are made by fermenting flour and water--just as you mentioned. I learn something new every day! I'll just include a passage from Joy of Cooking I found interesting:

A natural starter contains wild yeasts instead of the commercially packaged variety... Natural starters combine flour and water and allow the wild yeasts contained in the air and flour slowly to reproduce. However, wild yeast starters can be made with a variety of ingredients. Some natural sourdough starters are made with a combination of cooked or raw potatoes to which water, salt, and cornmeal or flour are added. Some use a combination of fresh or dried hops, potatoes, and cornmeal. And some use milk, yogurt, and flour....

The traditional starter begins with a small piece of dough made from flour and water. It is fed on a daily basis with fresh flour and water until the "wild" yeasts reproduce enough so that the starter can be used to make bread. During this slow fermentation process, bacteria in the starter also reproduce and cause the starter to sour.

It's still yeast, though, isn't it? It's just that you're not adding the little organisms separately, choosing instead to wake them up from their sleep inside the grains where they live naturally, right? (In other words, you're not outsourcing the fermentation job. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: A somewhat confused Yank here new
      #194156 - 07/11/05 10:22 AM
lalala

Quote:

Quote:

It's still yeast, though, isn't it? It's just that you're not adding the little organisms separately, choosing instead to wake them up from their sleep inside the grains where they live naturally, right? (In other words, you're not outsourcing the fermentation job. ) Lol! Right!

In Alaska new
      #194255 - 07/11/05 01:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

they are really into their sourdough. Some restaurants supposedly have sourdough that they have kept since the gold rush. I don't know if it is true. I am sorry this is unrelated!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: In Alaska new
      #194335 - 07/11/05 05:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It may be unrelated, but it's still pretty cool. I actually have my mother's recipe for sourdough starter (and the sourdough bread itself), so I don't have to rely on hand-me-down starter. In a similarly unrelated vein, my college roommate has a batch of brandied fruit I swear she's been feeding for more than 30 years.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Well this is a mix new
      #196459 - 07/16/05 07:59 PM
Augie

so it probably contains yeast in the mix. The web site doesn't allow you to see the ingredient listing for the product.

Do you follow a GF diet Maikko?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review