All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Post-infection IBS/Malabsorption
      #19355 - 09/02/03 11:34 AM
mda5905

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: NYC

I went to my third GI doctor and he said he thinks I have post-infection IBS, since my symptoms D plus weight loss 20 pounds over 2 years occured after getting very sick after eating too much pizza. Every since I have not been the same. He put me on Flagyl and Levaquin. I also think I am suffering from some type of malabsorption. The weight loss is the most concerning thing. I've always been thin so I can't afford to lose any weight. Anyone been tested for malabsorption?
Matthew

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Post-infection IBS/Malabsorption new
      #19680 - 09/04/03 10:20 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi
Have you tried Probiotics? They help replace the friendly bacteria in the gut, especially helpful post-infection if it was bacterial in nature. This can help digestion improve, as the friendly bacteria recolonize and push out some of the unfriendly ones. Do a search here for more info., esp. in articles section. (Udo's Choice is a good brand of probiotics, though expensive ($20C!/bottle) but it works well, and you don't have to take it for too long.

As far as malabsorption, have you been tested for Crohn's Disease? When this disease flares up, it can cause sufferers to lose weight; and malabsorption is the culprit, and D is usually the symptom, along with others. Also, B12 deficiency can cause weight loss and weakness, you can get an easy blood test to check for this one. (I had lost weight and was looking pale when my gastro suggested I get the test for B12, and found me deficient).

good luck!
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#19704 - 09/05/03 07:14 AM
mda5905

Kris, thank you for your response. I believe I was tested for Crohn's and it cam e up negative, maybe I should be tested again. The weight loss is very troubling, my wife got me some probiotics which I will soon try. I will ask my doctor about the B12, I have some blood test results from some months ago and I will check to see what my B12 level was. I'm just wondering what to do next if it's not bacteria related -- the weight loss is very upsetting. Thanks again for your comments, it is very appreciated.
Matthew

#19814 - 09/06/03 04:08 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi, I was wondering what kind of infection you had. I have recently been struggling with blastocystis hominis (a microscopic organism that can invade the stomach and intestines). The doctor gave me flagyl and another drug with it. You mentioned you were on flagyl, so I am curious.

The flagyl made my symptoms ease up some, but it apparently did not get rid of the infection entirely, so now I am on Humatin. Am hoping that will improve my symptoms soon!
Thanks,
Judithg

#19919 - 09/08/03 11:51 AM
mda5905

the Flagyl didn't seem to do anything. In fact people who believe in a holistic approach say Flagyl is very bad because it kills your good bacteria. So now its time to try something new, the problem for me is the losing weight.
Thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5909 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review