All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
So constipated...is there any hope?
      #192815 - 07/07/05 12:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I cannot tolerate any SFS. Is there any possibility I will ever have some relief from this horrid pain and constipation, gas, and bloat without being able to take an SFS?

What can I do besides take magnesium (which I already do), zelnorm, and try to eat IF as much as I can without it hurting too much ?

I am at the end of my rope and so frightened that since I cannot take any SFS I will never find relief from this...never have any improved quality of life...I can't live like this any longer. It hurts too much.

I cry from pain and pray to God to let me die. That's the only place I think I will be free of this horrible state.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So constipated...is there any hope? new
      #192818 - 07/07/05 12:13 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Why can't you take any SFSs? Have you tried Slippery Elm instead? HAve you tried Miralax?

#192827 - 07/07/05 12:19 PM
Cyndy

I've tried about 5 different SFS and they all cause me worse pain and back me up even more the higher up in dosage I take, even with drinking lots.

I do take 1 tsp of Slippery Elm in hot water a day but it doesn't do anything. I have been taking it for 4 months now. I think it may be more helpful for D

Miralax didn't help either...made me bloated, crampy, and horrible feeling. It didn't do much for me.

Is it possible to help the C and pain without taking a SFS?
Thanks for your response, Linz. I'm so tired of hurting, and see no end to the pain. And yes, I'm on an AD, but an AD is no challenge for these symptoms!

#192856 - 07/07/05 12:49 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

How long did you try the miralax? Did you take it on an epmty tummy, first thing in the am and be sure to drink lots of water through out the day?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#193101 - 07/07/05 09:35 PM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there. I suggest drinking lots of water and doing at least some light exercise, if you're not already doing both. I used to suffer from really bad constipation too. It wasn't until I drank water regularly, a lot of it, that I improved. I got rid of the C now by being more active, and drinking water only. It's the only liquid I drink. I am a die-hard coffee lover, but gave that up, too. So hydrate.. If I did it, so can you.

#193133 - 07/08/05 06:11 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I also do not tolerate SFS. So this is what I do- Milk of Magnesia, tons of water, hot tea, lots of SF and very little IF, and then only if it is cooked very well and pureed. Every doctor and surgeon I went to said more fiber -well that just caused me more bloating and pain so I just stopped it. I know that this course of very little to no IF is controversial. I take Zelnorm, use acacia powder, but I think it is the Milk of Magnesia that does the trick for me, a perscritpion for potassium and no raw or lightly cooked IF. My intestines just can't hack it. I have been relatively pain free for 4 months. ( I also follow Heather's diet in relation to dairy and fat).

Thanks for your reply, but MOM? new
      #193148 - 07/08/05 06:47 AM
Cyndy

Milk of Magnesium, I thought was not safe to use daily, or even every other day!

Also, if you are taking Acacia, then that is a SFS, so do you tolerate that one? How much of it are you taking?

Does the potassium help you "go"? Or is it for something besides the BMs?

Yes, I know IF is "pushed" for us C folks, but I wonder if it isn't causing more pain for me. Little IF for C goes against what I though was recommended.

How long have you been taking the zelnorm and the MOM? Have you built up a tolerance to them? How much MOM do you take? Have you needed to increase the dose over time in order to keep it working?

Sorry so many questions. But, I'm so desperate.

I walk 30 minutes a day new
      #193149 - 07/08/05 06:50 AM
Cyndy

Is that enough exercise? I try to have a cup of tea with me at all times, but probably drink about 70 oz a day. I thought that tea was just as effective as water for the C. And yes, I have given up coffee for over 3 or 4 years now. Bout killed me! I loved coffee.

You didn't say if you take an SFS. Thanks for your reply.

Miralax new
      #193150 - 07/08/05 06:52 AM
Cyndy

Yep, took it on an empty tummy first thing in morning. Tried it for about 2 or 3 weeks. It was awful! And didn't do to much for the C either.

How much do you take, Michele? Did you get bloated and gassy and cramps from it?

#193158 - 07/08/05 07:01 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Heather just addressed this in the last couple of newsletters. You might want to read them and try sfs again. If you stopped your laxitives at the same time you started the sfs, you would definitely get more constipated. You have to gradually lower the laxative dose as you up the sfs dose. Plus, you mentioned that the higher you went up, the worse it got. You have to go up very very gradually and gently, because your body is not used to that much fiber. If I were you, I'd read over the past 2 newsletters and give sfs another try. Good luck.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review