All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
newly dx'd and overwhelmed
      #192528 - 07/07/05 02:12 AM
satine

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Victoria, Australia

Hi, I'm new to this format (in heaps of yahoo groups) so forgive me if I make a faux pas.....
I was dx'd with IBS on Monday after a long and terrifying wait to get the all clear for cervical cancer. At the time I was totally relieved but now I am totally overwhelemed!! I live in Australia and I hope that there are others here from Oz that can help me.
The most frustrating thing is the doctor has told me to reduce my stress levels...grrrrr....in the last fortnight my husband has lost his job (due to his reactive depression) and I have cared for and buried both of my grandparents. My son who has Autism is going totally off the rails because I haven't been here and my daughters are totally neglected.....Hmm reading back on that makes it sound much much worse!!
Anyway, I am not here to whinge I am looking for information and help. I obviously cannot reduce my stress levels and my doctor has offered only this and to eat more fibre as treatment options. I have looked at the diet and it seems doable (but a HUGE sacrifice!! but my son is already gluten casien and salicylate free anyway so I will have to eat his stuff I expect.
The pain is driving me nuts as well as the bloating. I am constantly having days off work and finding it hard to fit in my clothes! I have noticed a reduction in the pain and bloating just eating crackers and bananas over the last few days but when I splurged at the movies yesterday with my daughters eating popcorn I noticed that my belly and back hurt that evening. But is is pyschosomatic?
I will stop rambling now and get to the point of my post, LOL, firstly is there anyone here from OZ that can give me some advice and I am so overwhelmed right now I need someone to tell me exactly what I can eat to get rid of this pain in the short term so I can clear my head and absorb all this information!

TIA
Satine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: newly dx'd and overwhelmed new
      #192537 - 07/07/05 03:27 AM
danc

Reged: 12/30/04
Loc: Australia

Satine, I am also in Australia and a first timer in this forum. I understand the anxiety you have gone through prior to diagnosis. I have major problems with pain a bloating also. Popcorn is bad news for IBS so no the symptoms it generated are not pyschosomatic. Can I suggest you buy a book called "Friendly Food" published by Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Allergy Unit. It is available on request from most book stores. You will find it invaluable in avoiding problem foods. The other suggestion is to start on a soluble fibre called "Benefibre". It is available in most Chemists in Oz. Finally find yourself a good dietician who understands IBS. Hope this helps. Dan

#192539 - 07/07/05 03:54 AM
satine

Thanks so much Dan. I will go to the chemist tomorrow. My son is on the Failsafe diet (RPA diet) already and I hope I don't end up as restricted as him!!!!
To be honest my husband actually mentioned that I should look at Failsafe but I guess I didn't want to hear it.......giving up coffee and cheese has been hell enough, LOL.

Thanks again!
Satine

Another Aussie new
      #192542 - 07/07/05 04:24 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I'm on a GF semi version of the diet but I'm happy to help in any way I can. Either ask me questions on here or feel free to email me at amyemadden@hotmail.com and I'll do what I can. Unfortunately we don't have quite as many choices as in America. If you're going to go the soy route (as opposed to the rice milk route) I'd definately recommend Vitasoy So Milky (it's almost like real milk, well the taste is, only it's soy). They also make some yummy chocolate and strawberry milks and you can get them in the fresh or long life section of Woolies (or Safeway if you're in Melbourne). I recommend the fresh though, it's much nicer. Ummm otherwise all your plain pasta's are fine if you're not GF and here is a list of safe foods you can find in Aus Safe Foods (click here) . Hope this helps for starters and I hope you start feeling better soon.

--------------------
Amy

#192543 - 07/07/05 04:25 AM

Unregistered

Hi Satine
As an ibs.d sufferer for over 30 years I would suggest that you read through all of Heather's advice on this web site. I have found the advice invaluable and have also added various supplements to my diet and now, after 30 years (particularly bad in the past 12-18months) I am getting some stability.
I take a soluble fiber supplement, a probiotic supplement (Acidopholus) and I try to take Heather's advice on diet but am not 100% (probably 50%!).
Judith

#192544 - 07/07/05 04:27 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

There are a few Aussies on here - Doubletrouble is one that springs to mind, she's lovely. And I'm a Kiwi, so that's almost as good, right?

I don't know what the failsafe diet is, but I'd recommend the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet for a few days to cool your system off.. and then try reintroducing things so you know what sets you off. There's lots of dairy and meat substitutes available in Australia, from what I gather.. we're a bit limited in NZ!

I'm constantly having days off work too. It's really important that you explain to your boss exactly what's going on so they know what to expect (and hopefully go easy on you).
I hope things calm down for you a bit, it can't be easy having kids AND ibs... and managing one with autism to boot. On here we're always willing to listen though, and you never have to feel guilty about unloading. Welcome!

--------------------
*Emma*

#192757 - 07/07/05 09:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I am sorry you're having such a hard time. I suggest you try the Break The Cycle diet for a few days (only!) to get yourself a little stabilized. I don't think there's anything in there that wouldn't be available in Australia. The page that describes the diet also has some tips on how to begin adding back in other foods after the few days are up.

I do think a soluble fiber supplement is a good idea. I take acacia myself, but there are a lot of them available.

There's a lot of variety in Heather's diet and if you check the Recipe Board you'll see tons of recipes, incuding a lot that mimic favorite foods using IBS safe alternatives.

I think Heather's approach is great and it's certainly worked for me.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Satine - Failsafe Diet info new
      #192778 - 07/07/05 10:27 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Hi Satine, welcome to the boards. You caught my attention when you mentioned autism. I have a 3 yr old great-grandson with Autism. I would love to find some diet info to help him. Could you direct me to a website possibly? Thanks a bunch and good luck with Heather's diet....It definitely helped me.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#193035 - 07/07/05 05:55 PM
satine

Thanks Judith,

I have Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus (probiotic that is dairy free) here for my son so I might give that a go. I spend my life analysing his diet and never thought to do it for myself! I am slowly going through the website when I have a chance and look forward to a time where I am not living on pain killers and sleeping....

Have you been under a lot of stress over the last 12-18 months and that is why it was worse? I have been speaking to a lot of mums with kids with disabilities this week and the vast majority have the same symptoms that I have. The ones that don't have a child with mild impairments, are financially secure with supportive and helpful friends and family. Makes me wonder if stress plays a huge part in this and changing diet will do nothing if stress levels are addressed.

Sorry, thinking out loud, LOL, I have a habit of doing that!

Kind regards,

Satine

Quote:

Hi Satine
As an ibs.d sufferer for over 30 years I would suggest that you read through all of Heather's advice on this web site. I have found the advice invaluable and have also added various supplements to my diet and now, after 30 years (particularly bad in the past 12-18months) I am getting some stability.
I take a soluble fiber supplement, a probiotic supplement (Acidopholus) and I try to take Heather's advice on diet but am not 100% (probably 50%!).
Judith

Re: Another Aussie new
      #193041 - 07/07/05 06:08 PM
satine

Hi Doubletrouble,

Hmmm, not a lot of choice there, but many things that I recognise. My son is slowly being introduced to soy products so I am hoping that we can both have them as I really don't like his rice milk! Most of his food contains eggs are they are the only protien he will eat, so I guess I have my work cut out for me......sort of a catch 22 really. I feel exhusted all the time but the only way to feel better is to work harder by preparing 3 different versions of the same thing!
Are you taking a soluable fibre supp? If so which one? I alternate b/w D & C but mostly C, is this the same for you and if so did you find that going gluten free was best?

Kind regards,

Satine

Quote:

Hi! I'm on a GF semi version of the diet but I'm happy to help in any way I can. Either ask me questions on here or feel free to email me at amyemadden@hotmail.com and I'll do what I can. Unfortunately we don't have quite as many choices as in America. If you're going to go the soy route (as opposed to the rice milk route) I'd definately recommend Vitasoy So Milky (it's almost like real milk, well the taste is, only it's soy). They also make some yummy chocolate and strawberry milks and you can get them in the fresh or long life section of Woolies (or Safeway if you're in Melbourne). I recommend the fresh though, it's much nicer. Ummm otherwise all your plain pasta's are fine if you're not GF and here is a list of safe foods you can find in Aus Safe Foods (click here) . Hope this helps for starters and I hope you start feeling better soon.

#193047 - 07/07/05 06:24 PM
satine

Hmm, 'thepurplelollie', what a cute name! Makes me very curious about what it means!

I have started the 'what to eat..' but cheated the other day and am now pretty sure that movie popcorn is now off my list!

Work have been extremely understanding with my family troubles (I had 2 years off when my son was first diagnosed) and I have quite a bit of leave up my sleeve but it doesn't stop the work piling up when I get back, then I have to work twice as hard and long to catch up. Then my stress levels rise......I am seeing a pattern here, LOL, I gotta learn to chill out!

Oh and sometimes having kids makes it easier when you are ill. My girls are 13 and 11 and when I am in pain they help out. Right now my eldest is making me some muffins.

Thankyou for letting me know that it is OK to vent. I was feeling a little guilty for off loading last night, I am just frustrated some times.

Kind regards,

Satine

Quote:

There are a few Aussies on here - Doubletrouble is one that springs to mind, she's lovely. And I'm a Kiwi, so that's almost as good, right?

I don't know what the failsafe diet is, but I'd recommend the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet for a few days to cool your system off.. and then try reintroducing things so you know what sets you off. There's lots of dairy and meat substitutes available in Australia, from what I gather.. we're a bit limited in NZ!

I'm constantly having days off work too. It's really important that you explain to your boss exactly what's going on so they know what to expect (and hopefully go easy on you).
I hope things calm down for you a bit, it can't be easy having kids AND ibs... and managing one with autism to boot. On here we're always willing to listen though, and you never have to feel guilty about unloading. Welcome!

Franny... new
      #193049 - 07/07/05 06:27 PM
doubletrouble

I was going to try this diet as part of my elimination diet. I have both the books (not the ADHD one but the other 2). They are Fed Up by Sue Dengate and Fed Up Recipies also by Sue. You can buy them from amazon.com but if you googled them you could probably get them other places. The website can be found Fed Up With Food Additives It has lot's of links and also an email program where you can email other people on the diet (I got too confused with this though as I was getting about 100 emails a day). Hope this helps and good luck

--------------------
Amy

#193055 - 07/07/05 06:36 PM
doubletrouble

I'm an A too however I rarely suffer from Constipation. Most of the time I'm a D. I guess I only say I'm an A cause medications and right before my period I get C for a day or 2 but otherwise I'm a D. I loathed rice milk with a passion (only I can't tolerate soy so that was ruled out for me). I know how you feel cooking so many meals. I do the same, one for the kids who eat normally, a GF version for me and a normal version for DH. It drives me crazy. There are a lot of meals though that I'll make then just put his pasta in one pot and mine in another or I'll crumb my chicken with rice crumbs and his with breadcrumbs (and sometimes I feed him GF meals but be quiet about it). I've found that since going GF I've had a lot less rumbly tummy's and only one bout of D which I suspect was caused by a medication I was taking for the flu. Otherwise I finally feel on my way to becoming stable. Even on the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet I was really sick (actually I got a lot worse only eating pasta and bread which is what made me wonder about wheat/gluten). Hope this helps and yep our variety is pretty limited. I find Coles are pretty good. THey have a whole big health food section which has a lot of safe foods.
I'm not on SFS as all of the one's I tried made my D and pain worse than ever. I take slippery elm instead (sometimes I take one with a tiny amount of psyllium mixed in and glucosamine prescribed by my naturopath). I haven't tried Heather's acacia though (I was scared that after buying it and paying for postage that it would make my D worse like all the others). I hear you on the exhausted front. I have 3 kids under 6 and life is a whirlwind so to have to spend all that extra time in the kitchen is a nightmare. How I miss the days of throwing something preprepared into the oven and forgetting about it for 1/2 an hour!

--------------------
Amy

#193057 - 07/07/05 06:38 PM
satine

Hi Sand,

Thanks for the advice. The more I look at the site the more I see a correlation between my symptoms and what I eat. I will spend the next few days writing myself up a diet of what I can and cant eat and a schedule of challenging foods (just like I do for my son) as right now I am laid up in pain. I must admit though I am much more comfortable knowing that it is my bowel spazming and not something much more serious!

Kind regards,

Satine

Quote:

I am sorry you're having such a hard time. I suggest you try the Break The Cycle diet for a few days (only!) to get yourself a little stabilized. I don't think there's anything in there that wouldn't be available in Australia. The page that describes the diet also has some tips on how to begin adding back in other foods after the few days are up.

I do think a soluble fiber supplement is a good idea. I take acacia myself, but there are a lot of them available.

There's a lot of variety in Heather's diet and if you check the Recipe Board you'll see tons of recipes, incuding a lot that mimic favorite foods using IBS safe alternatives.

I think Heather's approach is great and it's certainly worked for me.

HTH.

Thanks Amy for the Failsafe info....nt new
      #193077 - 07/07/05 07:20 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#193079 - 07/07/05 07:27 PM
satine

Thanks for all the info Doubletrouble!

Well if you can do it with 3 under 6 then I can definately do it!
The cravings are hitting me hard today. I desperately want some hot chips and a souvlaki LOL! I have been eating the 97% fat free saladas and bananas mainly and always feel hungry, need to read some more I think to expand my diet. What can I eat on bread? I can't even think of eating plain bread or toast with nothing on it! Can I use a little Nuttelex - dairy free but obviously not fat free? IF you would like to discuss this off the board then my email address is satine14@bigpond.com

Thanks!

Satine

Quote:

I'm an A too however I rarely suffer from Constipation. Most of the time I'm a D. I guess I only say I'm an A cause medications and right before my period I get C for a day or 2 but otherwise I'm a D. I loathed rice milk with a passion (only I can't tolerate soy so that was ruled out for me). I know how you feel cooking so many meals. I do the same, one for the kids who eat normally, a GF version for me and a normal version for DH. It drives me crazy. There are a lot of meals though that I'll make then just put his pasta in one pot and mine in another or I'll crumb my chicken with rice crumbs and his with breadcrumbs (and sometimes I feed him GF meals but be quiet about it). I've found that since going GF I've had a lot less rumbly tummy's and only one bout of D which I suspect was caused by a medication I was taking for the flu. Otherwise I finally feel on my way to becoming stable. Even on the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet I was really sick (actually I got a lot worse only eating pasta and bread which is what made me wonder about wheat/gluten). Hope this helps and yep our variety is pretty limited. I find Coles are pretty good. THey have a whole big health food section which has a lot of safe foods.
I'm not on SFS as all of the one's I tried made my D and pain worse than ever. I take slippery elm instead (sometimes I take one with a tiny amount of psyllium mixed in and glucosamine prescribed by my naturopath). I haven't tried Heather's acacia though (I was scared that after buying it and paying for postage that it would make my D worse like all the others). I hear you on the exhausted front. I have 3 kids under 6 and life is a whirlwind so to have to spend all that extra time in the kitchen is a nightmare. How I miss the days of throwing something preprepared into the oven and forgetting about it for 1/2 an hour!

#193115 - 07/08/05 03:50 AM
danc

Reged: 12/30/04
Loc: Australia

Satine,
If stess is an issue have a look at hypnosis for IBS on Heather's web site.

Amy, about slippery elm new
      #198946 - 07/24/05 09:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How much and when do you take yours? At night or in the morning? I've heard that it is better to take it at night, but I have also heard that morning is best.

Any difference you've noticed in timing of dose?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Amy, about slippery elm new
      #199012 - 07/24/05 05:27 PM
doubletrouble

Nope, i've been a bit lazy with it. I used to take it morning and night for a bit but now I just take 2 capsules at night. I think it helps me "go" in the morning so I prefer to take it with dinner. When I was on the powder from my naturopath though I had it with every meal and that seemed to work okay too. Hope this helps and let me know how you go with it

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review