All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this correct?
      #192069 - 07/06/05 02:23 AM
rahul

Reged: 06/27/05

Dear friends,
I wonder if this is the end of my social life.
I am 25 yrs old, male, studying in Sweden. My doctor diagnosed i have IBS based on the following tests:
1)Stool test-done once
2)Blood test
3)Lactose intolerance test
4)Endoscopy
5)Ultra scan

"I havent taken colonoscopy yet..but, taking it soon. I had to suggest the doctor by referring to what i read in this website"

My symptoms:
1)Gas problems soon after eating(Flatulence and bloating)
2)Use toilet 3 times
3)Insomnia
4)weight loss (9kgs in 2 yrs....but maybe becoz i exercised regularly and stopped eating properly).
5)Fatigueness
6)No significant constipation.
7)The only diarrea once or twice in a week.
Does this sound like IBS to u? or anyother disorder. Pls let me know.Any help would be deeply appreciated.If anyone finds these as symptoms for any other gastric disorder...Pls let me know.
Thank you for any help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this correct? new
      #192070 - 07/06/05 03:20 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

It sounds very much like IBS. That being said IBS can mimic a lot of symptoms of more serious problems like chrone's disease and ulcerative colitis which is why it is neccesary to have the colonoscopy. You'll find on the boards that a lot of different symptoms affect a lot of different people. I for example have diarreah almost every day at least a couple of times a day. I don't really bloat much but I do get gassy and uncomfortable after any meal. I find tiredness goes along with feeling sick. The worse I feel IBS wise the tireder I feel. I too have lost a lot of weight however this is one of the symptoms of the more serious problems which your doctor will be checking for in the colonoscopy. I am what we call on the boards IBS-A which means alternating. I have both constipation and diarreah however I hardly ever suffer constipation. Some of us only suffer constipation (IBS-C) some of us only diarreah (IBS-D) and some of us are A with more C or more D. Anyway, welcome to the boards. I'm sure with a bit of diet change you'll be feeling a lot better. Good luck with the colonoscopy and I hope it is IBS and not something more serious. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. There's lots of helpful people here.

--------------------
Amy

#192077 - 07/06/05 05:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It could be IBS. If you were exercising and not eating properly, then the weight loss probably isn't significant.

The insomnia and fatigue aren't IBS symptoms tho...mid-attack maybe, but not day-to-day. The one does tend to lead to the other so maybe you just to sort out your sleep for those?

And IBS isn't the end of your social life at all. Be positive!

#192083 - 07/06/05 05:36 AM
rahul

Thanks a lot Linz and Amy. But, isnīt pain the main symptom of IBS? And i had stomach pain only once in the last 2 yrs.
Is it still IBS!!?

#192086 - 07/06/05 05:42 AM
Linz

No pain at all is unusual, but then when I first developed IBS, gas was my major symptom...with D later.

I'd suggest you talk to your doc about parasitical infections and food intolerances tho...they should be ruled out.

#192087 - 07/06/05 05:47 AM
rahul

Thanks Linz. In ur last post for my msg, u said that one should undergo atleast 3 stool tests to rule out the growth of any parasites. Did u mean the same test done 3 times or 3 different kind of tests?

#192088 - 07/06/05 05:49 AM
Linz

Same kind of test. The chances of missing the blighters in the test even if you do have them is so high you need multiple tests to make the odds of getting an accurate result better.

Btw, I never had it done myself, but then I'm totally happy with my diagnosis.

#192089 - 07/06/05 05:49 AM
rahul

Also, does one get IBS all at once? ...becoz i never had such problems before..

#192091 - 07/06/05 05:54 AM
Linz

Totally possible...I got IBS after a bad tummy bug. One month I had an iron stomach, the next I had IBS.

I REALLY recommend you get "IBS: The First Year" and read it.

#192096 - 07/06/05 06:01 AM
rahul

Thank u Linz. I must get used to the fact that i have IBS.
When i watched Ben Stiller in the movie, along came polly, i laughed a lot. Didnīt expect then...Donno how i can manage it without getting embarassed...I think i shud read the book u suggested.
Bye for now.
Rahul

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1724 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2530

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review