All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fresh strawberries
      #191886 - 07/05/05 01:04 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Do I need to cook them before pureeing them? I was planning on eating them with some vanilla soy yogurt. I used to just chop them up and stick yogurt on top before I had IBS, but I don't think I could just chop them anymore. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fresh strawberries new
      #191890 - 07/05/05 01:10 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

You know, I eat strawberries raw with no problem, but watermelon makes me want to die. Try eating one or two chopped and see.

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

#191891 - 07/05/05 01:11 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I eat them raw after SF just fine...just not as much as pre-IBS!

#191900 - 07/05/05 01:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Wash, hull and blend thoroughly. They are delightful! There are also good warmed and often my tummy feels better after they have been heated, first. I love them with balsalmic vinegar! You could make a fabulous sorbet or smoothie, swirl it in with that vanilla soy yogurt. It would be great on safe angel food cake or pancakes/with french toast or in lieu of "not milk" with cereal.

I find that mere chopping is not enough, for me. I experience tremendous pain if they are not really really well blended. I like to combine them, too. Strawberry/mango or strawberry/apple or strawberry/peach or strawberry/nectarine are a few of my berry favourite combinations. Fruit soups are good, too. Heating helps carmelize the sweetness.

How does one heat fruit and make fruit soup? new
      #191902 - 07/05/05 01:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have some frozen berries and this sounds like a wonderful Shabbos treat! What's the process? Thanks Kate *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#191954 - 07/05/05 03:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hmm, I don't know... I just chop them up and eat them, even now, and my gut's pretty darn sensitive.

But I don't think you'd need to cook them, pureeing should be enough. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, mashing them and cooking them up with a bit of cornstarch to thicken the juices sounds like really tasty strawberry sauce for yogurt or soy/rice "ice cream". Yummmm.

#192032 - 07/05/05 06:57 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I chop them up and eat them on cereal or mix with a little sugar to get them juicy and serve over angel food cake with no problems.

In the beginning when I was getting stable, I used to peel them with a veggie peeler to get rid of the seeds. But, now the seeds don't bother me.

For Ruchie.... Fruit soup new
      #192053 - 07/05/05 08:23 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I hope this is what you're after. To make fruit puree, take the strawberries, hull them and chop them up. Place them in a saucepan or frypan over low heat and cover with water. Just enough to cover them. Simmer them until they become soft and mushy. Once they are like this you can either leave them as is or puree them or mash them so they're slightly chunky. Hope this helps and mmmm yum, enjoy

--------------------
Amy

Strawberries cause me pain! new
      #192102 - 07/06/05 06:17 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

They are one of my worst triggers! I love them, but I've learned that every time I eat them, I am in severe pain so I avoid them now.

forgot something new
      #192103 - 07/06/05 06:18 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I forgot to mention that I can tolerate them if I blend them in a fruit smoothie.

#192151 - 07/06/05 07:32 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Personally I can't tolerate them just chopped up so I always puree them to be safe, usually with other fruit (good with mango). I don't think you *need* to cook them first BUT I think think it makes them taste better (sweeter) once they're pureed.

#192164 - 07/06/05 07:55 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have a great strawberry pie recipe that have cooks, purees the strawbeeries and makes them more tolerable. Check it out. I think it's under "Safe strawberry pie".

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

THANK YOU AMY *hugs* Can you use frozen fruit for this... new
      #193235 - 07/08/05 10:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

This is precisely what I was looking for!!! Can you use frozen fruit? Also, what does "hull" mean? I'mlearning so much from all of you!!!

I hope to make some for Shabbos lunch...I will let you know (I have to see how much frozen strawberries are at the store...might have to be another week!)

Thank you again...lots of love!
Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hulling new
      #193264 - 07/08/05 11:37 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Hulling is removing the green leaves on the top of a fresh strawberry. Usually you can just pull them off, might need to use a knife for the stubborn ones. But if you get frozen strawberries, you won't have to worry about it!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Thanks Melissa! *hugs* n-t new
      #193296 - 07/08/05 12:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#193491 - 07/08/05 08:18 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What about a strawberry-banana smoothie? I love those! I just slice a banana into the blender, pour in enough soy milk to cover it, throw in a handfull of hulled strawberries, and blend away. Yum! Or try a sensational strawberry soy smoothie.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#193538 - 07/09/05 03:37 AM
Wind

I was consuming some strawberries last night--I made some all fruit pops--just puree, basically, and freeze. I found a recipe for fruit leather, i.e. homemade fruit-roll-ups. I'll post it when I have a chance.

I love making a strawberry sauce, which is basically strawberries pureed and reduced in wine or balsalmic vinegar on the stove. Raspberries are really good this way too, and putting it on veggies that I used to eat as a salad, but now blenderize due to IBS. Strawberry salsa is pretty awesome, too.

#193597 - 07/09/05 09:45 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Oh...that all sounds wonderful.

How do you make strawberry salsa??

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: fresh strawberries/salsa new
      #193667 - 07/09/05 02:18 PM
Wind

It's just salsa using strawberries in lieu of tomatoes!!!
Have you ever had papaya or mango salsa or peach salsa?
Salsa, as most people "know" it is tomatoe based. So, think of it as spicy/tangy chunky strawberry dip--not like ice cream topping at all! Add some scallions, some cilantro, some lime juice, maybe some balsalmic vinegar--you can substitute a little red or vidalia onion in place of the scallions, some parsley, maybe a tiny squirt of honey...my secret addition is just a little cinnamon. You can add some peppers or jalepeno for sweetness and heat if you like. I like to mix the strawberry with a little peach or nectarine or mango or papaya or banana. I don't really measure anything. In summary, it's just a tomatoe-free salsa. Once, I even made a salsa with watermelon which was wicked!!! You just chop it all up and mix it and let it sit for about half an hour and wow!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1668 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review