All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
That is no where near enough! new
      #192090 - 07/06/05 05:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Heather recommends 12-15g a day from SFSs ALONE and plenty more on top of that from food. I take 15g SF from Acacia a day...and oatmeal, and pasta, and bread, and crackers, and bananas.....! Get the idea? That is no where near enough SF to help. No wonder you have D and cramps!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting very distressed new
      #192440 - 07/06/05 04:33 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In a healthy digestive system, the food is moved along, digested, and moved out by a smooth, gentle rhythm - like waves in a calm summer sea. In people with IBS, those rhythms are rough and violent - like the ocean in a hurricane. What Heather's diet and the use of an SFS do is keep the rhythms smoother and gentler in two ways. First, eating something triggers the rhythm to start or to pick up the pace. For IBSers, the trigger foods tend to make the rhythm start hard - rough and violent. Soluble fiber foods tend to make the rhythm start easily - smooth and gentle. That's why eating soluble fiber as the first part and the biggest part of a meal is so important.

Second, IBSers' guts want to spasm, like an eyelid twitch or a charley horse. When that happens the gut squeezes itself together, like a mostly empty toothpaste tube. If you can keep the gut - the tube - filled with something semi-solid (like toothpaste) the spasms can't bear down, can't get a foothold. This is why a LOT of soluble fiber is so important: it makes a gel that keeps the gut full and prevents the horrible spasming from starting or continuing. It's extremely difficult to get enough soluble fiber just from food to keep this fullness going - that's why an SFS is so important.

Although the distinction isn't really true, I visualize the soluble fiber I eat as the fuel that gets my digestion going smoothly and the cushion that softens the blow of foods like protein, fat, and insoluble fiber. I think of my SFS as the gel that keeps my gut inflated, so it can't turn on itself. You need both.

Given that, my suggestions are the same as everyone else's:

Increase your SFS. Based on my own experience, I think this is absolutely crucial. According to Heather, 2 Citrucel caplets provide 1 gram of SF, so to get the 12-15 grams, you'll need to go up to 24-30 caplets. (I'd really think about a powder to use at least at home. Check out Heather's SFS FAQ I reference in my earlier post and find one that does NOT have any Insoluble Fiber in it. I love acacia myself.) Go up slowly. I started with 1/4 teaspoon of acacia per day. After 3 days, I added another 1/4 teaspoon, after 3 days another 1/4 teaspoon, and so on.

I really do think the Break The Cycle diet is a good idea for a few days.

Eat lots of small meals or snacks at fairly close intervals. Even a handful of pretzels can make sure you've at least got something in your tummy. Letting my stomach get empty is the worst thing I can do - the food hitting the digestive tract kicks up a real storm. If you do get hungry, eat only pure soluble fiber, a little at a time, until you've got a fair amount in your stomach.

I'd also keep it very simple: bread, pasta, noodles, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, simple chicken and fish dishes. Cook even the SF vegetables like carrots and zucchini at least in the beginning.

Try Immodium to ease the cramping and control the diarrhea. Once you get your diet and SFS in better order, you might find that the other meds do more to help, too.

My own experience was that I ate almost totally soluble fiber foods for quite a while. I added to them egg whites, chicken, fish, and shrimp. Stuff like IF fruits and vegetables I approached cautiously, cooked, and well wrapped in SF. If a food wan't on the soluble fiber list and wasn't a safe protein, I assumed it was my worst enemy for the first several months I was on this plan. This isn't as boring as it sounds. I ate Kree's Crock Pot Chicken Stew, for example, from the beginning. Heather's Cinnamon Zucchini Bread was a great way to get some calories and some vegetables in me (but not first thing in the morning - it's a little high in fat for that). Heather's Smoky Eggplant Hummus was an early winner for me and ShellMarr's Artichoke Hummus is just as delicious - and easier. Once again, these two recipes got vegetables down me safely. Applesauce and pretzels became my new best friends. I'm lucky enough to be very fat-tolerant (although not first thing in the morning), so Heather's Guacamole (in EFI) with lots of Baked Tostitos was also an early winner for me. I tolerate tomato sauce and onions well, so spaghetti with sauce worked for me too, almost from the beginning.

Even now, my diet is primarily soluble fiber. I start each day with applesauce blended with a teaspoon of acacia. I work at getting some fruit into me (I'm becoming addicted to smoothies) and vegetables (I can actually tolerate small salads occasionally), but I'm still mostly soluble fiber plus protein. Heather's breads are still a primary source of fruit and vegetables for me.

This is what worked for me - I hope some of this helps you. If you have questions, ask. It's nice to meet another D (two, counting Betharoo) whose experience is the same as mine was - I feel a little less weird. And as for those horrible attacks - Heather's diet plus acacia means I no longer have atacks like that triggered by food. The attacks can still crop up when triggered by stress - or when I eat off program - but even then, they're not nearly as bad as they used to be. I wish the same for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Just another opinion..... new
      #192447 - 07/06/05 04:51 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I have read your posts and I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. You have gotten a lot of great advice from some of the others.

I am one of the few that cannot tolerate SFS. There are a couple of gals on the boards that can't either. It made them feel so crampy & gave them explosive "D". I do better without it. I know it has helped so many on the boards but I just wanted you to know this as another approach for help.

I do better when I eat things like pasta, breads, rice, baked or grilled chicken and stuff like that. I can eat some veggies if they are cooked....like carrots....but certainly not cucumbers. I get my fiber from oatmeal.

I also take Librax. I started taking it 3 times a day 30 mintues before meals. It really helped me. I am down to 2 tablets a day now and sometimes on a good day only one. Imodium has been a must for me and also Phazyme for gas.

Also, I noticed you mentioned a food diary. That is one of the most important things you can do. It helped me immensely.

Be sure and check for Sorbitol in anything you eat or drink...even chewing gum or candies. It gives my tummy a fit.

I hope you feel better soon and that some of these ideas will help you.

Barbie

--------------------

#192448 - 07/06/05 04:59 PM
Jessica Anne

Reged: 07/06/05
Loc: Bucks County, PA

I know just how u feel. It is all just so fusterating and the pain is so unbearable and frightening. I'm so fearful of that pain. It's just so horrible and no one understands. I've went through many of those horrible, firghtening and unbearable times. It lasted all night and then the next morning. But for me mine, it wasn't D, it was the complete opposite and let me tell u the pain was so horrific I was literally screamin out loud. I don't even like to think about it because I am just so frightened from it. Belive me I know just how u feel and I'm sure many others experience that same thing. I do hope u get better soon!

#192482 - 07/06/05 07:21 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

JessicaAnne, barbie,Betharoo,jblake,sand,Linz,Maria!Maria!, Augie, & Franny, and anyone else I may have missed, sorry, I am so very happy that you all took the time to help out a fellow IBSer. It is so very frustrating to live with this idiotic, frustrating disease and have people look at you like your an idiot when you try to explain it..........Let alone everybody that thinks I'm on a "diet" and I get made fun of because I'm thin, I have have a hard time trying to tell them it's a diet, but not a weight loss one.......frustration setting in......anyway, I have read all your posts and have got a lot of great ideas and suggestions and I was D free last night and with my adjusted eating habits today and wishes and prayers, I will be D free tonight also!!! I am thinking about the Acacia, however, the only concern I had was when I was taking fibercon, I noticed that Acacia was one of the ingredients and it makes me scared, fibercon did me in really bad!!! Citrucel wise I'm getting 6mg of fiber right now, along with my daily food, I've been trying to get 10-12 gm a day for now and will increase it. I do want to try the fennel tea as suggested, I miss my coffee, so I have become so hooked on my morning and evening peppermint tea, I miss it and I think it was a mind thing. It is weird however, the peppermint didn't bother my GERD, so I thought it would soothe the colon spasm when it happened..........oh well, live and learn, I have started a food diary, and have lots of new things to try, I was to be IBS free......at least for more than 1 month, which is the longest I have ever went. I don't chew gum, gave it up after I read Heather's book and I always check for artifical sweetners, especially sorbitol, big D problem for me. I did buy the two bottle pack of heather's peppermint caps, for the colon spasm, am I not supposed to be taking those either. I do have a healthy supply of Gas X, Phayzyme, etc. and have yet to get the imodium, getting that tomorrow. I'm going to a health food store tomorrow and will get the french bread, I've not had sourdough for over 24 hours now, seeing if that is a culpret. Can you find Acacia and fennel tea in health food stores? Thanks again to all of you, with MUCH appreciation.

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#192627 - 07/07/05 07:03 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

great! one night without D means you are one step closer to one week or one month without it!
Good Luck

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#192638 - 07/07/05 07:32 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Hi Cheryl,
So good to hear you had a good night. I can relate to the coffee, I too miss it sooo much. I tried to have some a couple of weeks ago, what a mistake! Took me three days to recover. Grr...Before I bought my kit from Heather, I went and bought Fennel seeds at my local HFS, that's all her tea is. I put the some of the seeds in a ziplock and "beat" them a little to break them up and release more of the flavor. The fennel has really helped. I have been unable to find a plain fennel tea in teabages, but I did find one by Yogi brand that has fennel in it, along with other very helpful herbs. I believe it is called Stomach ease, I love the flavor and is very helpful. I alos wanted to ask, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone else, but what kind of calcium supp are you taking? I was taking a regular cal/mag supp for ever adn then someone explained to me that magnesium causes D, and calcium citrate was just as hard. Had no idea! I switched to calcium carbonate and it helped quite a bit. Tends to lean towards C, which for us usually only means slowing the D, I never got C from it. Also, have you tried beano? After years of gas( I always figured it was just a sales pitch, and couldn't really work, I'm a skeptic like that), I finally tried it, and it has helped tremendously. Another thing that has helped me, I have found that a good bowl of oatmeal( I prepare Heather's peach recipe) everyday is the only food , so far, that doesn't hurt me or cause me awful gas and bloating and I believe it has helped to keep me somewhat stable. I too am pretty sensitive to sourdough, and many other breads. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you want to, I'm always glad to help.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#192735 - 07/07/05 09:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I am so glad Tuesday night was a good one for you and I hope last night was just as good.

I certainly agree that people don't get it if I say I'm on a "diet". I just tell them that I have a stomach problem (or I say IBS if I'm comfortable with that) and that I have to be super careful how and what I eat.

The only reason I suggested a powder SFS was because 24-30 tablets is a lot to take. If you're happy with the Citrucel, by all means stick with it.

The peppermint caps should be okay - they're coated so they don't dissolve until they get to your intestines, which means they shouldn't bother your reflux. However, I have seen posts on the Board from people who try them and get pepperminty reflux from them, so you'll just have to try and see. I'd say take one (not right before bed) and see how you do.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Telling people about IBS, remembering Beavis & Butthead new
      #192747 - 07/07/05 09:44 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I certainly agree that people don't get it if I say I'm on a "diet". I just tell them that I have a stomach problem (or I say IBS if I'm comfortable with that) and that I have to be super careful how and what I eat.

That's sort of my method of telling people what's wrong as well; I have different levels depending on whom I telling. SInce I've lost so much weight, I can't even say the word DIET or people around me get flustered and try to get me to drink milkshakes and eat donuts. If I say, IBS, I get a strange look and sometimes a giggle. Remember Beavis & Butthead, that MTV cartoon from the 90s? Anyone else remember Beavis' personal experience with IBS? Yeah. Hilarious.

I used to just say I have some sort of stomach or intestinal bug. But since it's IBS and I was having attacks so often, I decided I should be more honest with those people who are determined to know WHY DOESN'T MARIA EAT COOKIES OR CHOCOLATES? So these are some things I typically say to those friends or coworkers or visiting family members. They don't always get it.

1) I'm lactose intolerant and have a problem digesting certain high-fat foods, sugars-like HFCS-and proteins-like those in red meat.
2) I have IBS. IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME! So don't irritate me with your questions!
3) I have a functional bowel disorder I don't wish to discuss.

#192799 - 07/07/05 11:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Heather's products are available in some stores now...I think you'll find a list if you go to the shopping page. I would def. recommend Heather's fennel; tea over HFS stuff as it's so much fresher and therefore stronger and nicer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3021 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review