All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
embarrassing question
      #1909 - 03/04/03 05:26 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

This is really hard to ask, but is painful intercourse a side effect of IBS? Sometimes it causes pain in my gut, rather like sharp gas pains. Sorry about the question... I just wondered if there was anyone else, or if this is just something unrelated that I need to see my doctor over. :-(

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: embarrassing question new
      #1910 - 03/04/03 05:33 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

i've heard that that can be a problem for some women with IBS, don't know where i read that, but i know i did. can't tell you anything from personal experience, but i have heard of this problem before, so don't feel alone about it...

and aren't most questions on this board embarrassing? ;-)don't worry about it!

Beth

#1912 - 03/04/03 05:47 PM
JJ

Reged: 02/16/03

I've had problems with painful intercourse a couple of times when my symptoms have really been bad, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's probably worth a visit to the doctor just to rule out anything else.

#1913 - 03/04/03 05:55 PM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

can sympathize w/you on this one, but like you thought is was just me.

Re: embarrassing question - check it out with ob/gyn doc new
      #1940 - 03/05/03 08:31 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

H2 - If I were you, I'd go to your ob/gyn and have it checked out. You never know and that way, you'll know why. Good Luck and let us know the results!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1979 - 03/05/03 05:10 PM
H2

You are right... if I can talk about bowel movements, I should be able to say "intercourse" without blushing. lol.

Thanks guys, glad to know it is not just me, and I will mention it to the gyn at my next appt this spring, just to be sure it isn't anything else.

- Heather2

--------------------
-h2

#1985 - 03/05/03 06:48 PM
NancyT

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: USA

I can relate to this as well. Especially during bouts of constipation. Yes, it is embarrasing to talk about and I never have until now. This message board is so comfortable! Hang in there, H2.

Re: embarrassing question - what's "lol"? -nt- new
      #1986 - 03/05/03 07:23 PM
SharonMello

--------------------
Sharon

#1987 - 03/05/03 07:35 PM
H2

Sorry... I work in the internet field where we are all too lazy to type entire words and instead abbreviate everything. LOL is "Laugh Out Loud" - I tend to use it to laugh at myself.

--------------------
-h2

#2016 - 03/06/03 09:57 AM
SharonMello

Heather - thanx. I'll add that to my acronym vocabulary. TAL (thanks a lot)!
\Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: embarrassing question - are there any answers? Please! new
      #9744 - 05/23/03 12:03 AM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I was glad to find that this string had already started as I was going to ask the same thing. Painful sex was actually the first thing that led me to realise I had IBS - about 9 years ago. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions about how to fix that part specifically. Kind of puts a dampner on your love life, eh.

Has anyone tried anything that's helped this? I'm going to have to relearn the skills anyway as it's been over a year now. At 25 that's just not fair!

#9759 - 05/23/03 06:37 AM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

I was actually experiencing some pain about a year ago and I went to OB/GYN and as embarrassing as it was to discuss his first thought was that it was my IBS causing the pain. He went ahead and tested me for everything else, just to be on the safe side. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't my IBS causing the pain and he couldn't figure it out. I do think my anxiety of my IBS plays a factor into my problem but it is not the primary factor. Do you have an OB doc you can talk to?

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#10003 - 05/26/03 05:37 PM
H2

I talked to my regular doctor about it last week and he recommended talking to my gyn. to make sure it isn't anything else. It is time for my annual PAP anyway, so I am going to schedule the appointment for as soon as possible.

It dosen't hurt all the time, but some positions are worse than others. I will let you all know what the gyn says after my appointment!

--------------------
-h2

#10032 - 05/26/03 08:21 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

H2, I can definitely relate to your pain. I actually feel like I am being choked in the process. The pain and discomfort travels from gut to throat...it' horrible and surely can take the "want to", if you will, away. I feel as though my gut affects my whole life. Please keep me posted if you find any relief.

Re: Went to Gyn. yesterday new
      #10586 - 06/03/03 08:15 AM
H2

Thought I would give everyone a quick update. My primary care physician has been working with me on the IBS, and last time I saw him a few weeks ago, I finally mentioned the painful intercourse to him. He asked if the pain was vaginal or abdominal, and I told him it was abdominal. He said it definately could be IBS related, but to be safe he wanted me to mention it to the gynecologist to get her opinion.

So, I went for the annual check-up yesterday and told her that my doctor is treating me for IBS but that sometimes I was having abdominal pain during intercourse. Joy of all joys, she was already familar with IBS! She asked me if the pain was position related. I told her that some were better than others, but on a bad C day, it didn't matter what position. She was so fantastic, she knew exactly what I was talking about. She said that because our organs are so close together down there, problems like that are common. She said that if a patient comes in complaining of abdominal pain to her, they check out the uterus first, but if nothing shows up there, they start looking at the closest other organs, and intestines are number 1 on the list!

So, she didn't have any magic solution for me, but she was very reassuring. I expect that as I get the IBS more under control it won't be such a problem.

On a completely unrelated note, I have had these raised and discolored areas on the top of my foot for forever. They have baffled my regluar doctor. He treated me with lotions and anti-fungal pills with no success. He referred me to a dermatologist and she took one look at my foot and said, "Of course the pills and cream didn't work. This is Granuloma Annulare." Apparently it is some bizarre harmless skin condition that appears and disappears randomly for no discernable reason.

Between the IBS and the skin thing, it looks like my theme is going to be vague and mysterious medical conditions! Woo-hoo.

--------------------
-h2

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review