All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My First GI doc appt!!
      #189619 - 06/27/05 03:53 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Ok, so it went pretty well, I think. I wasn't prepred for the....ahem....rectal exam though. I mean, I guess it makes sense but it's just an unpleasant thought! And I put the stupid paper robe on and then sat there for 40 minutes waiting for the doctor so that made it worse. But the actual exam was fine.
He did a stool test right there (ick) and it was good and normal. He took my medical history, which included an uncle who had colon cancer (he lived a rough life), and my mom had polyps, all benign. Based on my symptoms, he'd not suggest the colonoscopy. But because of my family history, even though he expects it to be normal, he thinks it will be better safe than sorry. I'm ok with that---I'd like to know for my own sake too. It's be nice to cross one potential life threatening thing off the list!!
But he said he isn't the slightest worried, he would right now classify what I have as functional constipation, nothing too uncommon or serious. He thought it was great that I was on Benefiber, he said it's really the best and not addictive and he thinks people should take it for life. he said if I want to try the powder (i'm taking caplets), it might work better. He said lots of fiber, lots of water, and see how it goes. He thinks my bloating is caused by the consitpation, and my colon not being "empty" enough.

So my colonoscopy will be early August, I'm slightly dreading the prep but I've read all the info on this website so I know what to expect.

So that's it!! I guess maybe I have been doing the right thing after all, and just need to keep it up. We'll see.....

and Beth (Augie) if you read this, he was really nice and made me very comfortable, so I'd definitely recommend him. Dr. Rick Chadha.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heh. new
      #189721 - 06/28/05 04:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I suppose I could have warned you about the rectal. I haven't been to a GI doc recently, but I went years ago for gallbladder problems, and yep - I think a rectal is just part of the deal. But anyway, glad to hear it went so well over all, and that you seem to have found a good doctor!

Re: My First GI doc appt!! new
      #189761 - 06/28/05 08:32 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Good girl. We've ALL made it through the prep and the colonoscopy so you'll be FINE. We've all done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you found a GI that is good. Hang in there, sweetheart. We'll get you through this!!!!! Be brave! Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#189767 - 06/28/05 08:54 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Glad it went so well! I looked up this doctor's name and he isn't in my insurance plan! My insurance plan is good for nothing...we have very limited doctors to choose from and the ones that are listed are not accepting new patients, usually.

Thanks for thinking of me.

when he said to eat lots of fiber, did he mean SF? Most docs don't distinguish. But maybe you can handle more IF? I'm not sure if you do the SF before the IF like it's recommended.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Bit embarrassing, isn't it! new
      #189788 - 06/28/05 10:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I always recommend people wear respectable pants to any GI appointment as I got surprised by that one too! Ah well, you get used to it.

Re: Bit embarrassing, isn't it! new
      #189816 - 06/28/05 11:46 AM
epa_ginger

Yes, pretty embarassing! I'm glad it's over! It's probably better I didn't know, I'd have worried about it all morning!

--------------------

#189817 - 06/28/05 11:48 AM
epa_ginger

Well, I think he meant both kinds because he started naming some....oatmeal, salads, etc. He really pushed the Benefiber too. And I do try to to SFs before IF, although probably not as diligently as I should. So I upped my Benefiber (went from 2 pills 3X a day to 3 2X a day and 2 at lunch), and we'll see how that goes.
Sorry about your crappy insurance! I guess I'm lucky, I work for the government and we have pretty good benefits.

--------------------

I can't believe that..... new
      #189994 - 06/28/05 08:30 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

American GI's give a (what seems to be mandatory) rectal exam over there?!?! I've seen 3 GI's over here and not one of them put there fingers anywhere that area of my body?! Can I just ask what they can tell from one of these? Surely they aren't neccesary if I've had 3 docs who didn't do it to me?

--------------------
Amy

Re: I can't believe that..... new
      #190003 - 06/28/05 09:29 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Mine did it too.

Stuck a gloved finger up "there", then wiped it on some type of test strip. Looking for the presence of blood, I believe?

Maybe someone else remembers more clearly, as I was also "taken by surprise".

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

My UK one did it too. new
      #190016 - 06/29/05 03:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A quick test for blood...and looking for any hemms or fissures.

Yep! new
      #190077 - 06/29/05 07:29 AM
epa_ginger

He tested for blood, right there in the office. He said it was very good, and normal, no blood. So while i didn't really ENJOY the exam, I was glad to hear that. Still, rather disgusting. My friends were dying when I told them about it last night.
I think the most humiliating part was when he gave me kleenex to "wipe up" afterwards, but didn't turn away or anything. Imagine wiping your butt with someone watching!

--------------------

#190122 - 06/29/05 08:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I looked up this doctor's name and he isn't in my insurance plan! My insurance plan is good for nothing...we have very limited doctors to choose from and the ones that are listed are not accepting new patients, usually.

With many insurance plans you can go outside the network - it may cost more but your insurance will still often cover some of the cost. Also, most insurance plans have an appeals procedure if you believe something that should be covered isn't - if your plan's doctors are not accepting new patients, I'd say that's ground for an appeal. Also, I seem to remember you saying your doctor refused to order tests, which would also be grounds for an appeal. Further, if you're trapped in an HMO, there may be governmental (state) appeals processes available to you. (Doctors refusing to order tests is one of those classic "HMO bad" red flags.) Last, but not least, you can let your employer know that your insurance plan is not really working. If your employer is large enough, they could consider offering you a choice of plans in the future. Usually this means either bad coverage free/cheap to the employees or good coverage for a higher employee contribution to the premium.

One last thought: you could find out how much epa_ginger's doctor charges for a basic office visit and pay for one visit yourself if you can afford it. If he recommends further tests, you might have a stronger case for appeal to your insurance company.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks for the suggestions Sand! new
      #190163 - 06/29/05 10:32 AM
Augie

Your posts are always so eloquent and thought filled! I appreciate all the time you put into helping others!

I can go outside the network if I want to pay more...but money is so tight I really can't afford to do that...but I'll have to think about it maybe.

You have a good memory! My GI doc has refused to order any tests and I have seen him for 3 years. Not even a colonoscopy. Although I did have one done about 5 years ago with a different GI I had before I moved.

I did call my insurance co. and they said I would just need to find a doctor who is accepting new patients. There are some,,,just not the ones that I have gotten referrals from and that come recommended from co-workers or my OB gynie.

My employer is broke and losing money and small (one man HR department ) so I have only the one coverage to choose from. My former employee had 3 plans!

I will take your suggestions as food for thought. Thanks for your concern.

--------------------
~ Beth

How did he do a stool test right on the spot? new
      #190166 - 06/29/05 10:35 AM
Augie

Tell me he didn't "dig" some stool up during the rectal?

--------------------
~ Beth

Unfortunately---yes!!---nt new
      #190219 - 06/29/05 12:19 PM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Re: Yep! new
      #190417 - 06/29/05 10:30 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Lol...that is weird.

I didn't even get any Klenex. And she wiped her finger off on the paper that they use to cover the exam table, so after that, I didn't really have any place to sit....

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

That's awful! new
      #190426 - 06/30/05 01:03 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'd be mortified having to wipe myself in front of someone! But even worse not being given anything to wipe with Sorry you had such a bad experience Alyssa.

--------------------
Amy

You win! That's way worse!!!--nt new
      #190471 - 06/30/05 07:30 AM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Re: That's awful! new
      #190532 - 06/30/05 09:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Where are the bed side manners of these doctors??? Jeesh!!! How awful!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Government work...environmental.. new
      #190548 - 06/30/05 09:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How COOL! I'd love to hear more about what your job entails and how you decided this is what you wanted to do for a career! How much science/lab/chem was involved? VERY cool!

And I'm sooo glad you found a good GI. Keep us posted! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Well....(this is a long one!) new
      #190602 - 06/30/05 11:20 AM
epa_ginger

Hmm, I was a biology major first, I thought I wanted to do genetics. HAH! After 2 years of lots of labs, chemistry, etc., I swtiched to Ecology, which is the study of the relationships of organisms to their environment. I liked the broad scale, as opposed to microscopic. In my third year, took an environmental course as an elective, it was called "Earth Care", and I was hooked! I thought..."This is what I want to do". I actually cared about what I was learning about---which was that we as humans have wrecked our planet! It was a very basic, generic course. So I took more classes and consulted with a professor there, and started looking into grad schools. The U of I-Springfield had a Policy and Administration specialty that I thought would be a good complement to my science background. So for my Master's I learned a lot of law, and toxicology (very interesting). While I was there I dreamed about working for EPA, everyone knew it was near impossible to get a job there (hard to get govt work PERIOD), so I figured I'd do some kind of consulting.
In my last year there, I read about this internship online for the Environmental Careers Organization. It was at the EPA in Chicago, 6 months long, $15 an hour (good pay back then for me!) so I applied on a whim. Not too long after I got a call saying someone wanted to interview me, and he interviewed me on the phone. it was HARD. He actually asked me about different laws (thank god my notes were handy!), and what I'd do in certain situations.
I got that internship, it lasted 6 months + and extra 3. It was a very menial internship, I couldn't do any "real" work, so I was just helping this guy, doing organizational, almost clerical work. When that ended, the internship people placed me in another division, this time doing GIS work--Geographic Information Systems. Mapping software used to design strategies to pinpoint polluted areas and clean them up. Had I any experience?? Heck no! But I can be very convincing....and it was interesting, and I was pretty computer literate.
SO, they really took me under their wing (a bunch of 40 year old men who acted like teenagers) and I learned a LOT. I stayed with them for 2.5 years as an intern. Then I was engaged, and realized I really wanted benefits and more pay, and couldn't be an intern forever. But there were NO permanent openings. Out of the blue, I heard about a career fair in our building, printed off a resume, ran down in my JEANS, had a few on the spot interviews, got two call backs. One was in the Water Division, sounded kind of boring, the other was the job I have now: making sure companies who have toxic chemicals inform the communities around them, and in the event of an accidental release, report it immediately to federal, state, and local agencies. If they don't do this--we file an enforcement action. I REALLY wanted this job, because to me it was my "dream" EPA job---protecting our community and environment from toxic chemicals, and really sticking it to bad companies!!
Thankfully, I badgered my boss enough and he gave me this job and I've been here nearly 2 years, and I love it. I work closely with attorneys on all my cases, and have enforcement meetings all the time, watching these idiots from the company's trying to worm their way out of things and not letting them. I feel like I'm actually doing something good. I've never been a "tree hugger", and don't have a high opinion of people who resort to fanatical and extreme activities to bring attention to environmental issues, but in this job I feel like I'm doing my part to help.
Geez this was long!! Sorry!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 375 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review