All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Yep! new
      #190077 - 06/29/05 07:29 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

He tested for blood, right there in the office. He said it was very good, and normal, no blood. So while i didn't really ENJOY the exam, I was glad to hear that. Still, rather disgusting. My friends were dying when I told them about it last night.
I think the most humiliating part was when he gave me kleenex to "wipe up" afterwards, but didn't turn away or anything. Imagine wiping your butt with someone watching!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My First GI doc appt!! new
      #190122 - 06/29/05 08:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I looked up this doctor's name and he isn't in my insurance plan! My insurance plan is good for nothing...we have very limited doctors to choose from and the ones that are listed are not accepting new patients, usually.

With many insurance plans you can go outside the network - it may cost more but your insurance will still often cover some of the cost. Also, most insurance plans have an appeals procedure if you believe something that should be covered isn't - if your plan's doctors are not accepting new patients, I'd say that's ground for an appeal. Also, I seem to remember you saying your doctor refused to order tests, which would also be grounds for an appeal. Further, if you're trapped in an HMO, there may be governmental (state) appeals processes available to you. (Doctors refusing to order tests is one of those classic "HMO bad" red flags.) Last, but not least, you can let your employer know that your insurance plan is not really working. If your employer is large enough, they could consider offering you a choice of plans in the future. Usually this means either bad coverage free/cheap to the employees or good coverage for a higher employee contribution to the premium.

One last thought: you could find out how much epa_ginger's doctor charges for a basic office visit and pay for one visit yourself if you can afford it. If he recommends further tests, you might have a stronger case for appeal to your insurance company.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks for the suggestions Sand! new
      #190163 - 06/29/05 10:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Your posts are always so eloquent and thought filled! I appreciate all the time you put into helping others!

I can go outside the network if I want to pay more...but money is so tight I really can't afford to do that...but I'll have to think about it maybe.

You have a good memory! My GI doc has refused to order any tests and I have seen him for 3 years. Not even a colonoscopy. Although I did have one done about 5 years ago with a different GI I had before I moved.

I did call my insurance co. and they said I would just need to find a doctor who is accepting new patients. There are some,,,just not the ones that I have gotten referrals from and that come recommended from co-workers or my OB gynie.

My employer is broke and losing money and small (one man HR department ) so I have only the one coverage to choose from. My former employee had 3 plans!

I will take your suggestions as food for thought. Thanks for your concern.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

How did he do a stool test right on the spot? new
      #190166 - 06/29/05 10:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Tell me he didn't "dig" some stool up during the rectal?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Unfortunately---yes!!---nt new
      #190219 - 06/29/05 12:19 PM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Re: Yep! new
      #190417 - 06/29/05 10:30 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Lol...that is weird.

I didn't even get any Klenex. And she wiped her finger off on the paper that they use to cover the exam table, so after that, I didn't really have any place to sit....

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

That's awful! new
      #190426 - 06/30/05 01:03 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'd be mortified having to wipe myself in front of someone! But even worse not being given anything to wipe with Sorry you had such a bad experience Alyssa.

--------------------
Amy

You win! That's way worse!!!--nt new
      #190471 - 06/30/05 07:30 AM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Re: That's awful! new
      #190532 - 06/30/05 09:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Where are the bed side manners of these doctors??? Jeesh!!! How awful!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Government work...environmental.. new
      #190548 - 06/30/05 09:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How COOL! I'd love to hear more about what your job entails and how you decided this is what you wanted to do for a career! How much science/lab/chem was involved? VERY cool!

And I'm sooo glad you found a good GI. Keep us posted! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review