All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Craving fats!
      #189610 - 06/27/05 03:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am craving fats! I eat almond butter instead of cheese and pumpkin seeds...and I can't seem to get enough. Is it possible I am missing something in my diet? Any ideas for me?

Thanks!!!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Craving fats! new
      #189650 - 06/27/05 05:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

How does the fat effect your IBS? Could the craving be based on society's "healthy fat" propaganda? Are you accustomed to a shot/dose of fat on a regular basis? How does the fat make you feel, physically and mentally? Note that for most people, fat slows the emptying of the stomach, although for people with IBS it is often a big time D trigger. This is the case with me. Sorry, I'm just playing
grease-detective.

#189653 - 06/27/05 05:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Peanut butter, baby! Add some to pita bread for some roll-ups or to some GF anything! and chow down!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#189664 - 06/27/05 06:10 PM
Wind

I know you love avocado, Ruchie! Enjoy nature's mayonaise with something appropriate. Avocado with potatoe and herbs?
Avocado on rice cakes? Beet and avocado salad? Work it into one of your kugels? Noodles with some avocado and carrot?

#189665 - 06/27/05 06:11 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Could it be the protein in the almond butter instead of the fat you're craving/your body needs, maybe?

If you've been eating extremely low fat for a few days, that might be why you're craving fat though.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#189699 - 06/27/05 08:54 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

ME too. Salty/ Fat, and I'm blaming it on PMS.

Get this. I actually put Earth Balance "butter" on some Sunflower Seed Tortilla Chips, salted them, and ate it. (NOTE--I am NOT recommending this. Made me quite ill. It tasted perfect at the moment, although sitting here, I can't even fathom how...)

I'd say either it's "that time of the month", or you need some sort of nutriant that happens to be in almond butter, or maybe even both.

Eat what you crave to the extent that you can (I know how restricted your diet is), and try to do it safely when you first start the craving. I had the will power of a brick wall for a week, but when I crumbled....oh boy!

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#189704 - 06/27/05 09:53 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i eat tofutti pizzas, if you can find them, they are awesome, as long as you eat them slow!! i have a problem with eating too much too fast....then i get d...and needless to say....is not fun!!

i agree with whoever said it though, eat what you crave, if you can stomach it....i crave nachos and burgers and icecream...but of couse i work as a server at Red Robin, and i see it all day, and want to eat it all....I'd be so fat if i could!! haha....but if you check out a health food store (like whole foods) i usually find something i somewhat crave, and don't get sick off them either!

Do you drink a lot of water? new
      #189760 - 06/28/05 08:28 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I either read somewhere or heard from a doc that a lot of times people crave fats when they are dehydrated.....

--------------------

Re: Do you drink a lot of water? new
      #189864 - 06/28/05 01:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

First of all, I often eat to cope with the emotions I am dealing with as a survivor of sexual abuse and the flashbacks I am enduring.

As for being dehydrated, I drink at least 70 oz's of water a day. Is that enough?

I can eat a whole avacado in a sitting

I am finding though that eating a lot of fat makes me sleepy! Any ideas on this?

Thanks for all the responses you guys are GREAT!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Fats/sleepiness new
      #189869 - 06/28/05 02:15 PM
Wind

Interesting observation, Ruchie. Fats slow down digestion--unless its a D trigger. That would explain the feeling of tiredness. Are you using the fat to "numb" out? Fat creates a "layer" or a "barrier." It insulates. Is this what you seek, physically and psychologically?

There's nothing wrong, I stress, with a little fat, but a lot of fat on a regular basis can be quite dangerous and I'm concerned that you could be "abusing" the fat for it's numbing effect. I'm also curious re: how the fat impacts your IBS and your GERD.

70 oz. of water doesn't sound like enough.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review