All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bentyl and acidic burps/ gas
      #189347 - 06/26/05 10:41 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I started taking Bentyl on Friday, although I'm not all that interested in trying medication at the moment. I feel like I'm doing pretty well on the diet (except when I'm traveling and let my stomach get empty between meals and then eat what is too much for my tum, or "that time of month"). But, anyway, I would be perfectly content to keep fine-tuning the diet. I actually feel kind of bullied into the medicine by my doc. But anyway, I've decided I might as well give it a fair shake. (Since I have to... )

I've been really tired the last few days, although that might be because I had surgery Thursday (although I read that the "tired" after surgery is usually the anesthesia hanging on, and I didn't have any anesthesia/ pain killers, etc), so maybe it is the Bentyl.

But, even more bothersome, today when I was standing quietly in line at about noon after church, I believe I burped, and then felt this horribly corrosive feeling in my throat, and a bitter taste that didn't fade for hours. I hadn't eaten anything weird or spicy, just my usual oatmeal for breakfast, and we were on the way to lunch. I've continued burping more than usual, and although it doesn't burn quite as much as that first time it still takes terribly bitter/ acidic. My farts are more "pungent" and hot feeling also.

Has anyone experienced this with Bentyl? Does it last?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bentyl and acidic burps/ gas new
      #189354 - 06/27/05 02:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmm. I've never tried it myself, but I do know that it's a smooth muscle relaxant....like peppermint. And I know that peppermint can relax the GI muscles sufficiently to bring on GERDs attacks, so maybe the Bentyl can too?

I'd book an appointment with your doc...and if it continues, I'd stop taking the med.

#190969 - 07/01/05 07:06 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

See if it continues, since I have taken Bentyl daily for months and never had that effect. In fact, Bentyl is one of the only anti-spasmodic medications that does not affect me in a negative way. Levsin, for example, make me very spacy and nervous. When I took Donnatal, I'd have conversations with invisible squirrels. At least with Bentyl, I am normally lucid. Does it help the IBS? I have no idea, actually. I take it as a good luck charm.

#191070 - 07/02/05 11:33 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Lol. I understand. I took one of the related drugs (Artane) a few years ago, and horizontal lines were always wavy, and my eyes actually dissolved my contacts---yikes! I was a walking zombie.

This one is definitely not that bad, so I'm giving it a longer try. It *might* be helping. Or, at the least, I'm not worse, but very hopeful.

The only other side-effect I have had is being extremely senitive to light, and perhaps slightly more irritable.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1476

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review