All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I'm back from my trip - results and a question!
      #189260 - 06/26/05 04:02 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hi all -

As many of you know, I went to DC for a conference from thursday to today and I was very concerned about the lack of safe food and consistant bloating.

Well, I had absolutely no problems! My tummy was consistantly flat the entire time and I had no pain. I felt great and looked great.

So what's the problem? I didn't eat any vegetables and only ate applesauce for fruit. I don't want to keep fruits and vegetables out of my diet, but even pureeing them and eating them after a SF meal makes me semi-bloated. The only way I can be bloat-free (and pain-free) is to cut them out. Once again, I don't want to do this on a daily basis, although it is nice to know that it will work when traveling and before special events.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate it!

Love, Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm back from my trip too! new
      #189265 - 06/26/05 04:22 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I went to MA for a week and shared a room with friends (dog agility camp). I was so paranoid that I'd be hogging the bathroom but everything worked out. I took an Immodium every morning and every night. Made me a little gassy but at least I had no D while there. I ate mostly bagels and spaghetti and they thought I was a little strange. I explained I had a problem and they stopped bugging me to eat all these fabulous dinners and desserts!!! I too also ended up eating almost NO veggies. The first day or two I ate some cooked veggies and did end up having to use the bathroom a little more than I would prefer and a little bloating. The rest of the trip, I was very selective. You are lucky you could get applesauce. Everywhere I went (including Ground Round, Friendly's and Outback)I asked for applesauce but no one had it. I couldn't believe it.

It is SO good to be home. Last night all I craved was a huge fresh salad. After all the bland food and Immodium, it didn't cause a problem and tasted SO good!!!

Cindy

Re: I'm back from my trip too! new
      #189267 - 06/26/05 04:32 PM
e_mcmaster

I brought my own applesauce and ate it warm. I've gotten to the point where I don't trust any restaurants with supposedly "safe" food. They always seem to screw it up, somehow.

Glad you had a good trip! Did you enjoy MA? My family is from there.

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: I'm back from my trip - results and a question! new
      #189268 - 06/26/05 04:37 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Congratulations on a successful trip. Isn't it wonderful to prove yourself right? I'm glad you avoided discomfort/bloating.

Have you considered raw juicing, perhaps as an alternative to the veggies that cause you bloating? You won't be getting the fibers, but you will be getting the vitamins/minerals and benefits. I'm not talking about grabbing a pithy V-8. I'm referring to stuff like homemade fresh juice blends. It's as easy as a juicer and the raw goods!

Just a thought. You're such a vibrant dynamic energetic individual, Elizabeth.

Just curious: is applesauce the only fruit you can safely eat? Perhaps cooking fruit, i.e. stewing it and then sticking it in the blender might be a better option. Applesauce is basically babyfood apples. You could do the same with other fruits, too. I do. Are there any veggies that you find safe to consume?

#189282 - 06/26/05 05:13 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Interesting. I had to travel for my interview this week and I had terrible bloating last week. I was desperate so I cut out the fruit, vegies and SF supplements. No bloating or pain at all. In fact I feel great and thin. But I know that this diet cannot be healthy.

I am living on fish, egg whites, boneless chicken and turkey and soy milk. I bought some tofu and tried a little yesterday and was OK. I had a little bit of greens with my tuna or chicken on travel because I ate out and the tuna and fish came served on greens.

I am drinking constantly and still exercising. I do have to find a way to gradually add the other stuff back in. It is amazing how much I bloat from just a little of them though. I haven't been bloated since I dropped them out of my diet last week in response to stress and bad PMDD (severe TOM symptoms of pain and bloat).

Let me know how you make out now that you are home. I am open to what works. I think I am going to try one thing at a time in little amounts.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Ya know-being an occasional "outbacker..." (My DH owns one here) new
      #189290 - 06/26/05 05:36 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

we do have a delicious awesome cinnamon apples....

And did you know cinnamon keeps your blood sugar in check?? Bonzer!! I just found this out. i always have cinn. toast.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Cindy, where in MA?! new
      #189300 - 06/26/05 06:12 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I live in MA! Where were you visitingand did you have a good time?

#189305 - 06/26/05 06:50 PM
e_mcmaster

You are so encouraging, Wind. I appreciate all the time you take to respond to my inquiries.

Before heading on this trip, I had thought that I handled veggies pretty well. I knew that they had a tendency to make me bloated, but I thought that most of the bloating was coming from other factors such as stress and the occasional randomness that is IBS. However, since I did so well (especially considering the high level of stress and relative lack of sleep) without eating them, I feel as though they may be one of my biggest triggers.

I am absolutely open to the idea of juicing. How would I juice vegetables? Zucchini and squash are pretty water-filled - would they work to juice? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I consider applesauce and apples "safe" foods for me, so I suppose I don't even really think of them as fruits. I've done pretty well by pureeing mandarin oranges, pineapple & peaches and mixing it (on a 3:1 ratio) with applesauce. I've always eaten that as a "dessert" after a SF meal, though. As for vegetables, I think I tolerate tomato sauce pretty well... but that may just be wishful thinking since I love it! I'm more than willing to experiment!

Thanks so much!!!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Elizabeth and Mary new
      #189307 - 06/26/05 06:53 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm glad you both had good trips!

And I'm glad you realize it isn't healthy to totally avoid fruits and veggies on a daily basis. Although it is probably tempting since you felt better.

I would rather deal with bloating than give up my spinach, zucchini, nectararines, squash, and green beans! I love veggies!

I don't know what to tell you about how to eat them safely, except for what Heather already suggests. I just think that if you don't eat them, you will definately be doing your body harm.

Can I ask, how the heck you and Mary were able to have BMs without your insoluble veggies/fruits? I would think that taking them out of your diet would cause you more pain from being constipated.

What the heck did you eat? Did you even avoid all soluble veggies like carrots/squash?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Elizabeth and Mary new
      #189313 - 06/26/05 07:02 PM
e_mcmaster

I seem to have great BMs with 12.5g of Citrucel/acacia and 17-34g of miralax a day.

I forgot to mention that I did eat carrots. I eat a lot of carrots every day - like 4 huge ones. They seem to help my BMs enormously. And prior to the trip, I was eating a bunch of veggies.

How are you feeling, Beth?

--------------------
Elizabeth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1709 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review