All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I'm back from my trip - results and a question! new
      #189314 - 06/26/05 07:03 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm so glad that your trip went great as well. You and I can stick together with Wind's help in figuring out what veggies we can have. I'll let you know what works for me and you can let me know

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Do you take the citrucel caplets? new
      #189319 - 06/26/05 07:30 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

You combine the citrucel with some Acacia for a total of 12 grams between the both?

And did you eat your carrots raw or cooked? I want to try raw carrots but I'm scared. Haven't had a raw veggie in over a year or more!

I have some citrucel caplets, but I'm afraid to try those too because of my past failures with SFS.

#189320 - 06/26/05 07:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Elizabeth!

I just read something really neat re: babies and fruit. Note: I now follow a pretty low residue diet and just about all of my symptoms have subsided. I'm still experimenting too!

For babies under 8 months, it is recommended that all fruit is cooked, i.e. steamed/stewed, prior to blenderizing! Henceforth, I deduce, that is why most IBS'ers are so successful with applesauce! I tried it today with strawberries with tremendous success. It was delicious. The only thing I may do, to ammend this idea is incorporate a little applesauce or something to that effect with the berries. It was more readily digestible than raw pureed strawberries. Perhaps cooking helped breakdown some of the fibers/sugars and a little water made everything more soluable?

Veggies are generally more challenging. I won't touch anything raw ever again. It's too painfully agonizing for me. When you toss some veggies in a juicer, though, the fiber factor that causes obscene pain, etc. and often triggers attacts, is eliminated. Basically, all I used to do was toss some assorted veggies/fruits in the juicer. I haven't done this in awhile, though. I found I was more successful with veg. juices than fruit being a D'er. Carrot, beet, greens, celery, cucumber juices tended to sit the best with me. I might toss in a little apple as natural sweetener, though. I've never juiced zucchini.

Another thing I do, is use fine chopping/shredding devices before cooking anything. Usually with sf it sits well with me. With greens, I find a source of pectin and/or sf helps make it more digestible. I've been adapting babyfood recipes with great success. Now that I think of it, the reason that applesauce is so effective is because it is a source of pectin as well.

If I come up with anything else, I'll share.

Welcome back.

Re: Do you take the citrucel caplets? new
      #189325 - 06/26/05 08:08 PM
e_mcmaster

I take the Citrucel capsules. I love them - I have a bottle in my purse and a bottle by my computer always. I take 2.5g 5x daily, so 12.5g a day. Usually, I mix acacia into my protein shakes in the morning and my smoothies at night, so the rest is Citrucel.

I eat my carrots raw. I usually dip them in hummus, but I have to eat a lot of carrots with a small amount of hummus for the fat to be a low %. The hummus I buy has 3.5g fat per 2T, so I usually eat 3 or 4 big carrots with 1T hummus. The carrots really stabilize my tummy and this is probably TMI, but they turn my BMs orange from all the little carrot flakes in there. I really believe that they help my BMs to bulk up more.

--------------------
Elizabeth

#189326 - 06/26/05 08:09 PM
e_mcmaster

That sounds fantastic. I will start looking for a juicer immediately - it's always worth a try.

Thanks again for your help!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Orange BMs new
      #189330 - 06/26/05 08:22 PM
Cyndy

I've had orange ones too from sweet potatoes and carrots! It freaked me out until I realized what was causing the colorful stool!

So, how many tablets do you take a day?

I am always surprised when some people say food causes them bloat, but not the SFS and other people swear at the SFS for causing more bloating and they rely mor on the foods to help with the C. Bodies are crazy mixed up. Wish we one thing could help us all...this would be a heck of a lot easier to figure out!!

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you had a great trip? You must be interested in politics.

Re: Orange BMs new
      #189346 - 06/26/05 10:17 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Lol!

When I was about 2-3 years old, I refused to eat anything except carrots and sweet potatos, and I actually turned orange!

The doctor told my mom that it was fine, so long as the whites of my eyes stayed white (otherwise it's Jaundice).

But yup, all my todler pics I'm sort of a dark/ burnt orange color.

Incredible bodies we have indeed....

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Why low residue? new
      #189468 - 06/27/05 09:01 AM
Cyndy

Because you are a D? I would think you are still getting fiber even though you cook and process your veggies. I think I remember that only peeling removes the IF, but cooking/pureeing just makes them easier to digest.

Also, how do you add pectin to greens? What form? You add applesauce to the spinach, etc???

Thanks

Re: Do you take the citrucel caplets? new
      #189489 - 06/27/05 09:35 AM
Wind

Raw carrots? Wow. I could never handle that! I'm jealous/impressed.

Re: Why low residue? new
      #189496 - 06/27/05 09:53 AM
Wind

Raw food causes huge stomach cramps, spasms, bloating, and explosive torrents of D beyond belief with me! It even makes me want to vomit. Low residue is generally painless for me and quite gut soothing and pleasurable with sf. Raw food is a huge trigger. I used to be a raw vegan (more a fruitarian than anything else!) and my fridge was basically the "enchanted broccoli forest!" Raw IF hurts me, now. Naturally there's IF in foods, but cooking/pureeing the food makes it easier to digest, process and assimilate.
And there are lots of foods that I will never touch again.

I appologize for being extreme. For me to consume an acceptable vegetable it must be cooked and quite often pureed, like a smoothie or baby food and with sf or else I will be in the depths of "the cycle" again.

Re: adding pectin to greens. Basically different fruits and veggies contain different types of fiber, not just SF and IF, like pectin and cellulose and hemicellulose, etc.

And spinach and apple is actually not a bad combo, but I'd stick some carrot in there. Celery would be nice, but it's disagreeing with me lately, so I'd use parsley as it's a member of the same family as celery. I dream of an onion--like a character from a Margaret Atwood novel--THE ROBBER BRIDE. A tomatoe has pectin. A banana has pectin.
Green beans have pectin. I'm just rattling off a few examples that come to mind.

Nothing rattles me with low residue.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3198

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review