All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Caffeine and Constipation predominant IBS
      #188903 - 06/24/05 11:00 AM
MMN

Reged: 06/24/05

Has anyone had success with controlling C once totalling eliminating caffeine? That's the only thing I haven't done.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Caffeine and Constipation predominant IBS new
      #188905 - 06/24/05 11:08 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

No. But I do think it helps to only have caffeine every now & then. Last time I tried a big latte I got cramps for 3 hours afterward. I used to drink coffee daily.

I do, however, take Exederine Migraine when needed for headaches/migraines. I get them REALLY bad. So I haven't eliminated caffeine completely. (My migraine pain trumps IBS-C pain for sure.)

#188909 - 06/24/05 11:17 AM
MMN

Thanks!

YES!! new
      #188989 - 06/24/05 05:53 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

yes--i have!! almost daily, i would drink 1 soy latte sometimes with 3 shots of espresso in it! i always had a BM right afterward and since im a C i thought it was great--but then it got to the point that i could only have a BM if i drank coffee.

since coffees a stimulant, i thought that maybe it was acting as a laxative and since i was drinking it daily, it was too hard for my colon to gain stability inbetween each drink. i would definately say that it makes a difference. i tried decaf coffee in my latte and i still had the same effect--after going 3.5 mos w/out it! even though decaf says caffiene free, theres still a small amount of caffiene as it grows naturally in the plant [coffee plant]. i think steering clear of it would be smart if youre trying to stabilize or eliminate possible triggers. there is something called SOY COFFEE. i havent tried it but since i know coffee itself is an actual trigger for me, and not just caffiene, i think ill give it a try as good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#188997 - 06/24/05 06:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Gradually change your morning coffee to decaf tea. It will still encourage that BM reflex like coffee does. I do suggest getting rid of caffeine gradually.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

HUGE factor for me. new
      #189016 - 06/24/05 09:02 PM
Sore_No_More

Loc: Sherwoopd Park, Ab.Canada

I must admit, i have 1-2 mugs of Chai tea a day, but it's so far down from the 2 Grande Mochaccinos a day, with about 6 times the caffeine, followed by like 5 cans of Coke. And big difference. I've also found a lot of the diet and recommendations of Heather's have made a lifetime of difference.+

--------------------
Shannon, IBS A, happily stable! (well, mostly)

Caffeine free chai... new
      #189038 - 06/24/05 11:21 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I just got some and I like it a lot. I put some vanilla soy milk in there and I'm good to go.

--------------------

Me Too! new
      #189039 - 06/24/05 11:24 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I started drinking coffee or some caffeine drink when I "needed" to go, because I know it always made me go. But then I got the point where it wasn't working as quickly any more and I realized I better quit before I messed myself even more. So I've pretty much eliminated it now. And once I got my fiber stuff straightened out, I've been going pretty regularly, once or twice a day. And of course, I'm happy each time. It's sick!! I shouldn't ENJOY going to the bathroom!!

--------------------

Caffine Free Chais new
      #189075 - 06/25/05 08:49 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

These have been my absolute savior!

Try Numi's Ruby Chai . Wow...I couldn't do without this, it's my coffe substitute. I'm drinking all kinds of teas now (they are taking over my kitchen, lol), but this is the one that keeps my from breaking out the mocha mix.

Enjoy. And check out the other herbal teas on that website too...very nice. I can my mine at the grocery, or at a local coffee shop (more expensive there though).

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

tazo makes a decaf. chai tea too,..but new
      #189117 - 06/25/05 02:00 PM
Sore_No_More

Loc: Sherwoopd Park, Ab.Canada

I haven't gotten to that level of dependence yet. i can't survive yet without caffeine. maybe I'll start slowing down now.

--------------------
Shannon, IBS A, happily stable! (well, mostly)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2292

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review