All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Skipping Periods
      #18840 - 08/28/03 09:05 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Obviously a question for all the ladies...

I've always had painful cramps since my menstrual periods began - inherrited that from my mom. Lately, though, they've been horrifically painful to the point where I am doubling over and fainting from the pain. So I talked to my ob-gyn who took one look at my file, saw that I had IBS, and told me the IBS was making my cramps worse. She says that when I get my menstrual cramps, it stresses my body - then my colon starts acting up as a result of the stress with abdominal pains - which starts the cycle all over again by stressing out my ovaries (or whichever organ starts the cramps). She says I get stuck in a vicious cycle and since I'm already on the highest dose of pain relievers without going into narcotics, there's really nothing she can do about the pain.

What she did suggest was that I "piggyback" my birth control pills so that I only have my period ever third month. On the 4th week of my pills, instead of taking the white pills that would normally start my period, I should just start taking a new pack immediately.

Now I've done this before, but have only skipped a maximum of one month - and this was because my medical tests (sigmoidoscopy, etc) always seem to fall on the week of my period. (Murphy's law) I've read in magazines that there is no scientific evidence that says skipping your period will be harmful to your health.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has done this? I'm scared that skipping my period twice will somehow make the cramps 10x worse come than third month. But at the same time, it might be worth it to only have to take days off of work once every three months instead of every month.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Skipping Periods new
      #18845 - 08/28/03 09:31 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Although I never tried it when I was on the pill, I've heard of it. And, I also heard that it's safe.

As a guess, I wouldn't think the cramps would be any worse. Probably the same as when you have your period now, because piggybacking is just putting off what would happen, not increasing your period or anything.

Again, that's just a guess. Hopefully, someone else will have some concrete details for you.

#18850 - 08/28/03 09:49 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

One of my bridesmaids does this all the time....and she is fine. However - you may be a little "touchy" the first month because your hormones have to readjust. But I know it is safe and you will be fine.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#18854 - 08/28/03 10:10 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi, I've been skipping every other month for about a year and a half. Sometimes when I try to skip 2 in a row, I will have some breakthrough bleeding. With going every other month, I don't notice the cramps to be any worse, sometimes I may bleed a little more but nothing to really complain about. I do notice I will get the "PMS" symptoms (grumpy, sore breast, and water retention) even on the months I skip but it doesn't seem to bother my IBS nearly as much and when I actually have a period. Sometimes I will also get more constipated during the "PMS" phase regardless if I'm skipping that month or not so I usually up my fiber supplements and insoluable fiber that week to compensate. My OBGYN also said there was no reason to have a period every month so why would you want to?!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Skipping Periods - Thanks! :) new
      #18877 - 08/28/03 11:45 AM
Jennifer Rose

Thank you guys soo much! I feel so much better now about the whole thing.

Also thanks for the warning about the breakthrough bleeding, Michelle. My OB/Gyn didn't tell me about that part and now I'll be expecting it

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Skipping Periods - Thanks! :) new
      #18882 - 08/28/03 12:14 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, the breakthrough bleeding only happened the first time I skipped than when I tried to skip 2 in a row. I think your body adjusts after a couple months, so if it does happen, stick with it, it will probably go away!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Have you tried the depo shot? new
      #18885 - 08/28/03 12:25 PM

Unregistered

I've had the same problem but I never took that many pills to stop my period. I feared having a period because every month the periods became more and more painful.

It is true about the IBS causing worse periods for some people. Our bodies go into mild contractions when we have our period so it stand to figure that our colon would do the same thing.

Have you ever tried the depo shot? It should stop the period all together. It's what I finally had to do because the pain was so bad and the regular pills and major pain killers didn't help. The minute my period started I would be on the toilet with the worst IBS attacks that I ever had.

I finally figured it was worth having the depo shot to avoid the problem all together. Plus you wouldn't believe how much money you save on tampons, panty liners, and pads!

That was the solution to my problem. I had all the test done and surgery to make sure nothing was wrong and nothing was so... I felt that the shot was my option and it is an inexpensive perscrition.

Re: Have you tried the depo shot? new
      #18891 - 08/28/03 01:18 PM
Jennifer Rose

Unfortunately I have needle-phobia so don't think I would do the depo shot. I'm already terrified about getting bloodwork done next Friday. I'd much rather take the pills and have the cramps - yes, I am a huge wimp when it comes to needles!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#18942 - 08/28/03 08:01 PM

Unregistered

I get the shot because it's so easy and it's not like taking blood it's easier but if your are still afraid I think they may also have the depo in pill form now though i'm not sure.

#19111 - 08/30/03 01:11 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm afraid I've never heard of Depo-Provera in pill form. Besides the birth control pill and Depo, there's Norplant, which is what some of the women my mom used to work with were on--it's implanted in your arm and is effective for up to five years (my mom worked with women with drug and alcohol problems, and these were not women who could afford an "accident" once they got their lives back on track!). But I haven't heard of Depo in a pill form--anyone else?

...so do you still get a period? new
      #19139 - 08/30/03 07:07 PM

Unregistered

The norplant sounds interesting and I would like to know more about it especially if you still get a period taking it?

Re: ...so do you still get a period? new
      #19160 - 08/30/03 09:04 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

You may get an irregular period or none at all. For more info try this link: web page

Depo new
      #19239 - 09/01/03 07:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

One thing to remember about the Depo is that you don't have to look at the needle as the shot's into the top of your bum! I've been taking it for a couple of years and think it's great.

#20675 - 09/14/03 12:08 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I know all too well about painful periods. I've had them since I was 15. It's absolutely horrible. Last month my period got worse because of my severe IBS.I seriously felt like I was going to die. Now I have to go to the doc hopefully tomorrow and get birth control. I read in a magazine there's going to be a new seasonale oral contraceptive designed to limit a woman's period to just 4 per year. It's waiting FDA approval.
I wish I was a man!

Re: Depo new
      #20683 - 09/14/03 05:25 PM
till

Is the Depo shot in Canada. I never even heard of it! Do you get it once a month?

#20752 - 09/15/03 12:18 PM
till

I went to the doc today and asked for the depo shot and he wouldn't give it to me because I'm not sexually active! That's what he said!! Yes, he's an idiot. I told him it's for my period which got worse last month! It's always been really bad but now of course it's worse! I nearly died. He's such a moron! I told him it's even more severe because of IBS and he sits there staring blankly at me like I'm not talking English! Now I'm totally terrified since my period is this week and all he gave was birth control pills!

#20794 - 09/15/03 03:39 PM
till

Hi
I was wondering how much does each Depo shot costs?
Thanks.

#20802 - 09/15/03 05:41 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

During my period I have horrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. I am in the process of learning how to use Immodium as I need it, since I realized it was helpful. I took an Immodium and discovered that the cramps associated with my period stopped when the diarrhea stopped about an hour after I took the Immodium. My daughter, the nursing student, told me this is probably because Immodium uses an opiate to stop the cramping and relax the intestines. The opiate probably has the same effect on uterine cramps. You might try it and see if it helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 939 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review