All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hi -I am a newbie!
      #188349 - 06/22/05 01:04 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi there, I am new to this board so forgive me if you guys have talked about this already. But some of Heather's tips have worked really well for me but I am so nervous to try new things!!

First, do you find the peppermint tablets work better than tea? Can I take them if I am already bloated and gassy or is it just preventative?

Did anyone have any side effects when first start taking Citrucel? I heard Metamucil can bother your stomach for two weeks before your body gets used to it. I have had Citrucel in the house for over a month and am afraid to start using it.

Thanks so much for reading my post. I am desperate to get my tummy to cooperate so that I can live life stress free!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! new
      #188352 - 06/22/05 01:15 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hi Alyson and welcome! I think you'll find Heather's tips really do work. And I think we can all relate to being nervous about taking new risks. But if you start small and slow and figure out what works for you, you should be alright.

Frankly, I like peppermint tea better than tablets. I once took capsules, which didn't seem like they did much. I've tried the enteric coated ones, designed to break down later in your intestine, but they were a little, um, shall we say, strong on the way out? Ever eat a ton of hot peppers and feel it at the other end when you went potty? TMI? But, that said, it wasn't that bad. You can always try one and see how it goes. The pmint tea really does work too. I like Stash brand.

As with any fiber, you'll want to start SLOW and with SMALL amounts. I haven't tried citrucel so I can't be of much help there, but if you're really worried, try ordering Heather's acacia fiber. I took metamucil for years, then tried acacia and it worked so much better! I'm ibs D, by the way.

Re: Hi -I am a newbie! new
      #188353 - 06/22/05 01:15 PM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

Hi, I'm new to posting here too & have found it extremely helpful.

As for peppermint pills- I have used them for years to treat upset (ie farty, churny etc.) stomach and they work like magic. Of course they are better to take than any type of OTC medication, so I have stuck with them. I also sometimes take one if I know I am going to eat something that might be trouble, like if I have plans to go out to eat at an Indian restaurant. This is how I've used them over the years, hope this helps.

#188365 - 06/22/05 01:50 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Hi there, I am new to this board so forgive me if you guys have talked about this already. But some of Heather's tips have worked really well for me but I am so nervous to try new things!! Welcome to the boards!!

First, do you find the peppermint tablets work better than tea? Can I take them if I am already bloated and gassy or is it just preventative?

Did anyone have any side effects when first start taking Citrucel? I heard Metamucil can bother your stomach for two weeks before your body gets used to it. I have had Citrucel in the house for over a month and am afraid to start using it. I take Citrucel pills 3 times a day and I don't have any problems...

Thanks so much for reading my post. I am desperate to get my tummy to cooperate so that I can live life stress free!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Welcome! new
      #188505 - 06/22/05 10:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep, with all SFSs just start at a very low dose, and increase it very slowly and you should do fine. Most of the side effects (except some gas from psyllium) are temporary anyway and you only get them from increasing the dose too fast.

My doc put me straight onto a full dose of a harsh SFS (before I found Heather) and the side effects were awful for two weeks, but I survived and it reallt helped, despite being an awful SFS! I take Acacia now and love it.

Btw, with citrucel, make sure you DON'T get the sugar free stuff as it contains artificial sweeteners.

Hi from Alyson McG new
      #188628 - 06/23/05 11:38 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Hi Alyson, always nice to meet another one that uses the same spelling. I am IBS-D and have had the best luck with Heather's fiber, one heaping tsp first thing in the AM and again right before bed. I have the Walmart brand of Fiber Therapy, 100% SF, but they kind of make me gassy. I keep them on hand for when I'm stuck and can't eat.

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#188629 - 06/23/05 11:39 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Welcome to the Boards. -nt- new
      #188731 - 06/23/05 03:28 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#188780 - 06/23/05 05:37 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi and welcome to the boards. I've been using Citrucel for over a year now and it helps me with my BM's. I'm C and Citrucel helps to regulate your BM's. I use it once in the morning - one scoop in 8 oz. of water. But make sure you have the kind with sugar. The sugarless kind can do more harm than good.

Good luck!!

Carol

#188831 - 06/24/05 04:33 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi there - Thank you all so much for responding. I am going to try some of your suggestions. Finding Heather's book has been a lifesaver so far. And this board is great because finally I have found people like me! IBS really stinks but you gotta find a way to live with it!

thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 873 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review