All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
If you're not drinking enough now... new
      #188490 - 06/22/05 09:33 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

my advice would be to aim for 16 a day, but slowly. If you try to go from 5 or 6 glasses a day to 16, one you're going to be peeing like crazy, and two, it's going to be so daunting and difficult that you'll be tempted to give up. Make drinking water part of your regular routine, and then just add an extra glass or two every day or couple of days until you get up there!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yeah 8 ounces is the teeny glasses... new
      #188497 - 06/22/05 10:18 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...so I get alot more than 64oz if I drink 8 glasses!

Btw, this is the size of glass they're referring to.

Your body adjusts... new
      #188498 - 06/22/05 10:20 PM
Linz

...after a while...which is why Casey said it can be rough at first!

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? new
      #188513 - 06/23/05 04:04 AM
rach46

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: Israel

I know this is going to sound naive but doesnt all that water make the D worse, doesnt all that water cause your stools to be even runnier?I find it very difficult to drink so much- it makes my stomach hurt.

Nope! new
      #188516 - 06/23/05 05:06 AM
Linz

Not at all. In fact, if you have D, you need to have even more fluids (possibly with electrolytes as well as water) to compensate for the water loss and avoid dehydration. Getting dehydrated will give even non-IBSers D btw....it's really bad for you.

Drink room temp or warm liquids and always sip. Try to keep sipping through the day instead of drinking whole glasses in one go...this can make your tum too full, which is why it'll hurt. Cold liquids are also likely to give you tummy cramps.

16 Glasses of water?!? [Part 2] new
      #188545 - 06/23/05 06:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is an article that you may find interesting.

"Drink at least eight glasses of water a day." Really? Is there scientific evidence for "8 x 8"?

available at

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/pdf/8x8.pdf

In summary it says "No scientific studies were found in support of 8 x 8. Rather, surveys of food and fluid intake on thousands of adults of both genders, analyses of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals, strongly suggest that such large amounts are not needed because the surveyed persons were presumably healthy and certainly not overtly ill. This conclusion is supported by published studies showing that caffeinated drinks (and, to a lesser extent, mild alcoholic beverages like beer in moderation) may indeed be counted toward the daily total, as well as by the large body of published experiments that attest to the precision and effectiveness of the osmoregulatory system for maintaining water balance."

Regarding constipation the article cites a study and says "The notion that a high fluid intake will facilitate bowel movements was tested by Chung et al. (24). They found, in 15 healthy adults of both genders, that although an extra intake of 1 or 2 liters of either Gatorade or plain water significantly increased urine flow, there was no discernable effect on the output of stool. The authors warn that their results were obtained in healthy adults who did not complain of constipation, and that, therefore, the possibility remains that a high fluid intake might help relieve constipation in those who have it (11). However, inasmuch as the intestines have a large capacity for absorbing extra ingested water (63), the efficacy of a high fluid intake in relieving constipation needs to be proven by well-controlled scientific experiments."

There is a lot of mythology surrounding the required intake of water. This article and many others on the topic suggest there isn't evidence for 8 glasses of water per day including coffee, tea, etc.

Once again I ask some one to please provide me with a reference to a scientific study that indicates that people with IBS require 16 glasses of water per day.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? [Part 2] new
      #188547 - 06/23/05 07:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The question of scientific evidence is irrelevant to the suggestion that 128 ounces of water may help with constipation. If you are IBS-C and are NOT having problems with your constipation, then your current water consumption is fine. If you are IBS-C and ARE having problems with your constipation, then drinking 128 ounces of water a day is something you can try to see if it helps.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Nope! new
      #188550 - 06/23/05 07:28 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Not at all. In fact, if you have D, you need to have even more fluids (possibly with electrolytes as well as water) to compensate for the water loss and avoid dehydration.

Definitely have to emphasize the electrolytes part, particularly for those of us who are "delicate flowers": sensitivity to sunlight, easily fatigued in hot weather, low blood pressure, etc. If you really start drinking a lot of water, make sure you're getting enough sodium too.

If drinking more water makes you feel more bloated and fatigued, add something safe and salty (like pretzels, baked chips, pickles, etc.) to your diet. It helped me hugely! I gotta get the water for my C (and if I get really dehydrated, I get D), but I will easily get waterlogged if I'm not getting enough sodium in.

--AC, goddam delicate flower

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? [Part 2] new
      #188551 - 06/23/05 07:34 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I don't think any such study has been performed. IBS is an umbrella term for who knows what is really going on down there. It is up to the sufferer to experiment and find what is going on with them. I suffered with terrible C for 9 years before it switched to D and fluid intake is a GREAT aid in fixing it. I don't give a toss, to be frank, as to whether a scientific study says I shouldn't, I try to get as much fluid as is comfortable. 16 glasses probably doesn't apply to me because I am 106 pounds - but to someone much larger it may apply. e all have C for varying reasons. The point is, that it cannot hurt to take in a lot of fluid and there are plenty of studies that say that the reason laxatives sell to 2 billion dollars a year is because the vast majority of the sufferers do not drink enough whilst not getting enough fibre. It is wonderful for the kidneys and the skin to drink a lot. Moreover, when the gut is all backed up with toxic substance, the body's other eliminative organs are put under strain (the skin, the lungs, the kidneys etc) as they try to keep the body clean, it can't hurt to aid these systems but drinking enough water to keep flushing. Work out the number of glasses that works for you to be peeing a very light yellow - it doesn't have to be a pedantic 16.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!?
      #188554 - 06/23/05 07:36 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

you just need to adjust...stay with it!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 888 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review