All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
16 Glasses of water?!?
      #188281 - 06/22/05 10:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In the recent newsletter it states "make it your goal to drink 16 full glasses of water each day". Can some one provide a reference to research that supports this notion?

Recent literature suggests that 8 glasses of 'liquids' (including tea, coffee, etc) is more than enough to maintain hydration. The reason for this is that most research has not included the water content in the food we consume.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? new
      #188301 - 06/22/05 10:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

8 is enough for normal people. IBSers need much more, mostly because so much of C and D is related to the amount of water in the intestines. Think about it this way: If you are C, your intestines are absorbing way too much water out of your stool, and they can't move. If you are D, you are losing a lot of water because it's moving out of your system too fast for you intestines to absorb any. Either way, you need to drink a lot more water than a normal person in order to compensate.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#188354 - 06/22/05 01:21 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I wonder what the definition of a glass is too. I actually measured the 8 ounces needed for my acacia fiber the other day and was shocked at how small 8 ounces really is. My bottle of water holds 16.

#188366 - 06/22/05 01:55 PM
Stephany

Reged: 06/07/05

I would like to know how you all drink that much liquid and manage to sleep all night without several trips to the bathroom...I have to go 3 - 4 times during the night now and I go like I have been saving it up all day!

#188378 - 06/22/05 02:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I drink most of my water early in the day and try to stop a couple of hours before bed. That seems to help. Plus these days I rarely sleep more than 6.5 hours a night anyway, so I usually make it.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

3 or 4 times isn't bad new
      #188406 - 06/22/05 04:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do the opposite of Amanda Panda because I work outside and cannot use a bathroom often I drink more in afternoons and evening, especially after dinner. So I pee a lot at night. It is worth it.
About liquid amounts: actually doctors recommend -for normal people- to drink in ounces half of what you weigh in pounds. If you weigh 130 then that is 8 glasses minimum- more for hot weather or exercise- and definitely more for IBSers. It really does depend on your size! My husband being twice as big as me means he should drink and eat so much more. I would never need as much water as him. So liquid intake is all relative.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#188415 - 06/22/05 05:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

With IBS-D, I find that staying well hydrated is important. I also find that migraines are decreased with hydration. I don't find it difficult to take in that quantity of fluid.

Yup, I've had my 16 today :-) new
      #188436 - 06/22/05 06:28 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I have 16 (8 oz) glasses each day for a total of 128 oz.

Honestly, it's just 8 normal size water bottles (Dasani or whatever). That even gets you a little extra, because I believe those bottles are 16.9 oz. (I can't always get the last bit out though, so I think it comes out even for me.)

I drink one 16 oz water bottle every hour and a half, from 9 am to 9 pm. I stop drinking out of habit and just drink if I want some with food/ brushing my teeth or whatever after 9 pm, to eliminate the having to pee in the night. I usually make it through the night just fine, but believe me peeing is definitely my first thought after I turn off the alarm!

How much are you usually drinking now? The first 3-4 days to a week can seem hard, especially it this is a major increase. After that, your bladder adjusts and it gets much easier. I'm D, so during that time, as many times as I had to go to the bathroom, I was just glad it was to pee! With D, if you have to go, sometimes you can't help yourself. Having to pee has much more warning, so you can go more "at your convinience". Lol. Ah, the things you can suddenly start to take for granted.

I believe all the water has helped my D, but mostly, it just makes be feel better all-over, as I used to be so draggy and dehydrated. I feel generally stronger and more ready to meet the day now.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#188442 - 06/22/05 06:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Eight 8-oz glasses a day is adequate for a person of about 130lbs who doesn't have IBS.

The general guideline for a totally healthy person is 1/2 oz of fluids for each pound of body weight. So if you weigh 150lbs and you don't have IBS, 75oz a day would be your MINIMUM goal, rather than the 64oz.

IBSers need more water than that, as someone else so wisely pointed out. We don't absorb water in our intestines the way a perfectly healthy person would, and we have to consume more to compensate, no matter which direction (C or D) our bowels swing.

And by the way, coffee, tea, and soda shouldn't be counted as part of your daily fluids anyway. First of all, they're all terrible GI tract irritants and triggers for IBS, and we should therefore stay away from them. But second, the caffeination is a diuretic and therefore dehydrating, which defeats the purpose.

I have no problems getting in roughly 100oz of water, herbal tea, etc a day. Start drinking when you wake up, don't stop till you fall asleep. LOL! I don't even get up in the middle of the night to pee anymore. In most cases, it's rough at first, but your body adjusts.

Re: Yup, I've had my 16 today :-) new
      #188486 - 06/22/05 09:03 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I agree with everything she said!! I start drinking my water first thing in the morning, and it's the ONLY thing I drink all day. The occasional exception is herb tea, when my tummy's upset. The first couple weeks were hard, I was having to use the bathroom constantly...but your bladder WILL adjust, and you'll find your potty breaks diminish. I won't touch a Coke anymore...a big no no on the diet anyways...but I used to be addicted to the stuff. I'm afraid one drink, and I'll be off my water again. I never liked water before...drink it consistently for at least a week, and you'll get used to it, and then you'll start craving it. I drink the 16.9 oz bottles all day too, and I drink a minimum of 5 bottles a day, usually more. It has helped me feel ALOT better, C wise, and energy wise. Fewer headaches too.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

If you're not drinking enough now... new
      #188490 - 06/22/05 09:33 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

my advice would be to aim for 16 a day, but slowly. If you try to go from 5 or 6 glasses a day to 16, one you're going to be peeing like crazy, and two, it's going to be so daunting and difficult that you'll be tempted to give up. Make drinking water part of your regular routine, and then just add an extra glass or two every day or couple of days until you get up there!

Yeah 8 ounces is the teeny glasses... new
      #188497 - 06/22/05 10:18 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...so I get alot more than 64oz if I drink 8 glasses!

Btw, this is the size of glass they're referring to.

Your body adjusts... new
      #188498 - 06/22/05 10:20 PM
Linz

...after a while...which is why Casey said it can be rough at first!

#188513 - 06/23/05 04:04 AM
rach46

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: Israel

I know this is going to sound naive but doesnt all that water make the D worse, doesnt all that water cause your stools to be even runnier?I find it very difficult to drink so much- it makes my stomach hurt.

Nope! new
      #188516 - 06/23/05 05:06 AM
Linz

Not at all. In fact, if you have D, you need to have even more fluids (possibly with electrolytes as well as water) to compensate for the water loss and avoid dehydration. Getting dehydrated will give even non-IBSers D btw....it's really bad for you.

Drink room temp or warm liquids and always sip. Try to keep sipping through the day instead of drinking whole glasses in one go...this can make your tum too full, which is why it'll hurt. Cold liquids are also likely to give you tummy cramps.

16 Glasses of water?!? [Part 2] new
      #188545 - 06/23/05 06:53 AM
Syl

Here is an article that you may find interesting.

"Drink at least eight glasses of water a day." Really? Is there scientific evidence for "8 x 8"?

available at

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/pdf/8x8.pdf

In summary it says "No scientific studies were found in support of 8 x 8. Rather, surveys of food and fluid intake on thousands of adults of both genders, analyses of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals, strongly suggest that such large amounts are not needed because the surveyed persons were presumably healthy and certainly not overtly ill. This conclusion is supported by published studies showing that caffeinated drinks (and, to a lesser extent, mild alcoholic beverages like beer in moderation) may indeed be counted toward the daily total, as well as by the large body of published experiments that attest to the precision and effectiveness of the osmoregulatory system for maintaining water balance."

Regarding constipation the article cites a study and says "The notion that a high fluid intake will facilitate bowel movements was tested by Chung et al. (24). They found, in 15 healthy adults of both genders, that although an extra intake of 1 or 2 liters of either Gatorade or plain water significantly increased urine flow, there was no discernable effect on the output of stool. The authors warn that their results were obtained in healthy adults who did not complain of constipation, and that, therefore, the possibility remains that a high fluid intake might help relieve constipation in those who have it (11). However, inasmuch as the intestines have a large capacity for absorbing extra ingested water (63), the efficacy of a high fluid intake in relieving constipation needs to be proven by well-controlled scientific experiments."

There is a lot of mythology surrounding the required intake of water. This article and many others on the topic suggest there isn't evidence for 8 glasses of water per day including coffee, tea, etc.

Once again I ask some one to please provide me with a reference to a scientific study that indicates that people with IBS require 16 glasses of water per day.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? [Part 2] new
      #188547 - 06/23/05 07:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The question of scientific evidence is irrelevant to the suggestion that 128 ounces of water may help with constipation. If you are IBS-C and are NOT having problems with your constipation, then your current water consumption is fine. If you are IBS-C and ARE having problems with your constipation, then drinking 128 ounces of water a day is something you can try to see if it helps.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Nope! new
      #188550 - 06/23/05 07:28 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Not at all. In fact, if you have D, you need to have even more fluids (possibly with electrolytes as well as water) to compensate for the water loss and avoid dehydration.

Definitely have to emphasize the electrolytes part, particularly for those of us who are "delicate flowers": sensitivity to sunlight, easily fatigued in hot weather, low blood pressure, etc. If you really start drinking a lot of water, make sure you're getting enough sodium too.

If drinking more water makes you feel more bloated and fatigued, add something safe and salty (like pretzels, baked chips, pickles, etc.) to your diet. It helped me hugely! I gotta get the water for my C (and if I get really dehydrated, I get D), but I will easily get waterlogged if I'm not getting enough sodium in.

--AC, goddam delicate flower

#188551 - 06/23/05 07:34 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I don't think any such study has been performed. IBS is an umbrella term for who knows what is really going on down there. It is up to the sufferer to experiment and find what is going on with them. I suffered with terrible C for 9 years before it switched to D and fluid intake is a GREAT aid in fixing it. I don't give a toss, to be frank, as to whether a scientific study says I shouldn't, I try to get as much fluid as is comfortable. 16 glasses probably doesn't apply to me because I am 106 pounds - but to someone much larger it may apply. e all have C for varying reasons. The point is, that it cannot hurt to take in a lot of fluid and there are plenty of studies that say that the reason laxatives sell to 2 billion dollars a year is because the vast majority of the sufferers do not drink enough whilst not getting enough fibre. It is wonderful for the kidneys and the skin to drink a lot. Moreover, when the gut is all backed up with toxic substance, the body's other eliminative organs are put under strain (the skin, the lungs, the kidneys etc) as they try to keep the body clean, it can't hurt to aid these systems but drinking enough water to keep flushing. Work out the number of glasses that works for you to be peeing a very light yellow - it doesn't have to be a pedantic 16.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#188554 - 06/23/05 07:36 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

you just need to adjust...stay with it!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#188559 - 06/23/05 07:59 AM
Sand

I really like your thinking on this, Daliatree.

Quote:

Work out the number of glasses that works for you to be peeing a very light yellow - it doesn't have to be a pedantic 16.

This seems like an excellent way to check for enough fluid consumption. Also, years ago a doctor told me that a healthy, hydrated female should be peeing every 2 hours while awake.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I'm glad I'm normal... new
      #188561 - 06/23/05 08:04 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Since I definitely pee every 2 hours if not more! I drink a lot while I'm at work, partly to relieve boredom, and because it's sitting right in front of me, but at home, I don't drink as much because I'm busier, and up and about and don't want to wear a hat with a water bottle attached and a straw going to my mouth. So every hour or so, I stop, and drink a full glass of water. That also keeps me from snacking!

--------------------

#188572 - 06/23/05 09:16 AM
Wind

If I don't drink lots, with IBS-D, I get muscle cramps/spasms and literally feel dehydrated. Cold fluid is the worst. Generally I stick to room temp or warm. It's quite soothing.
Seriously...sometimes my head/brain doesn't feel "right" or "clear" unless I'M HYDRATED and my electrolytes are in decent form. Sf helps to "mop" up or "sop" up the excess fluid and Immodium helps too. One thing, that I crave--fluid wise--with IBS-D is salt--naturally for the electrolytes. I use organic veg. broth as part of that fluid. Pedialyte isn't bad. Gatorade I find disgusting. Generally teas/water do it for me.

Re: I'm glad I'm normal... new
      #188573 - 06/23/05 09:16 AM
Sand

Quote:

at home, I don't drink as much because I'm busier, and up and about and don't want to wear a hat with a water bottle attached and a straw going to my mouth.

ROFL. But on the other hand, hmmm ... Hot new summer product?

--------------------

#188574 - 06/23/05 09:20 AM
Wind

I completely agree and it's obscene how much SEA SALT I use! I'm one of those "delicate flowers" too and I take everything with more than a few grains of sea salt. I find, though, that nothing is saltier than salt. When those things just don't taste salty enough I just eat the salt and take a swig of water.

Oh, yum! new
      #188576 - 06/23/05 09:26 AM
Sand

Quote:

When those things just don't taste salty enough I just eat the salt and take a swig of water.

I lived in Saudi Arabia when I was a child and my mother used to send me back to school after lunch with a salt tablet - just salt coated in wax. I was supposed to swallow it whole, but I would just nip off a corner of the wax and let the salt dissolve in my mouth - like some strange hard candy. Until your post I'd forgotten how much I loved doing that. You're absolutely right - nothing tastes saltier than salt!

--------------------

Well said Sand... new
      #188577 - 06/23/05 09:29 AM
Linz

...after all, this is based on personal and anecdotal evidence - it's not just dreamed up!

So I'm a delicate flower, am I? new
      #188581 - 06/23/05 09:32 AM
Linz

LOL. Never thought of describing myself that way before! However, today was ANOTHER day of getting dehydrated despite drinking loads (inc. electrolytes). I NEED to find a rehydration drink with no sweeteners in so I can just chug that all day - if I have much dioralyte, I get sick from the saccharin.

Linz, seen this recipe for a safe sports drink? new
      #188592 - 06/23/05 10:15 AM
Sand

Here's the link. Maybe it would work - you could adjust or eliminate the sugar to suit your needs.

--------------------

Research, scientific evidence, studies... new
      #188593 - 06/23/05 10:18 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Syl. Thanks for providing a link to this article. I did find it interesting, and it made me wish that more research was being done on water intake and IBS, not just water intake for the average, healthy adult. I tried to find additional references and studies on water intake by doing a search of medical journal databases, as well as a search of the information Heather provides on the IBS research board. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find sufficient evidence or conclusive studies regarding the effect of water intake on constipation or IBS.

The study that is cited in the article you provide doesn't do much to answer the question either. While it doesn't show that increased water intake noticeably affects BMs, it was a small study--only 15 participants, none suffered from constipation or IBS. Even the authors of the study seem wary of their results: "The authors warn that their results were obtained in healthy adults who did not complain of constipation, and that, therefore, the possibility remains that a high fluid intake might help relieve constipation in those who have it (11). However, inasmuch as the intestines have a large capacity for absorbing extra ingested water (63), the efficacy of a high fluid intake in relieving constipation needs to be proven by well-controlled scientific experiments."

Because IBS is still not fully understood by researchers or even specialists in the field, I think water intake must vary from person-to-person depending on symptoms, activity level, and thirst. I believed Heather's recommendation for increased water intake had to do with the SFS: "Together, fiber and water maintain gastrointestinal muscle tone, dilute toxic wastes in the GI tract, bind irritants, bring oxygen to the tissues, and help maintain the correct balance of intestinal flora....At a bare minimum, make sure you're drinking 64 fluid ounces (eight cups) of water each and every day, and aim for at least twice that amount. Many Americans are actually chronically dehydrated without ever realizing it, and this is a huge exacerbating factor (and sometimes even the underlying cause) for constipation. If you're on the opposite end of the spectrum and prone to diarrhea, you're at risk of losing too much water from your body too rapidly, and this can then result in dehydration. So no matter what your IBS symptoms, and whether they're flaring or in remission, please drink up!"

Like you, I would also like to have Heather explain where she got the data for this conclusion. However, I trust her recommendations because of her personal experience with IBS, her dedication, her common sense approach, and her consistency in providing references to scientific studies in her publications.

I think your questions are valid and just show how much more research needs to be done in the area of IBS.

excellent points ladies! -nt new
      #188609 - 06/23/05 10:57 AM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

yep I went 4 times before 1:00 last night- but I am happy to do it if I feel better all around- nt new
      #188610 - 06/23/05 11:00 AM
Little Minnie

--------------------

silly horse example post again new
      #188612 - 06/23/05 11:06 AM
Little Minnie

We often used to make homemade electrolytes for horses after hard work. It was a package of jello, a lot of salt and maybe something else I can't remember? in a bucket of water. The sugar is important but I like the idea of the orange juice in that recipe. That should be the closest thing to sugarless safe electrolyte.
I received a free packet of PowerBar endurance drink mix. It contains maltodextrin, dextrose, fructose, citric acid, sodium, magnesium, potassium, citrate, flavor, turmeric. I am going to try it soon and see how I do.

--------------------

"Smart Water" new
      #188615 - 06/23/05 11:11 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

If you are looking for electrolytes without the sweetness, try Smart Water . It takes just like "regular" bottled water, but has added electrolytes.

That company also makes Vitamin Water, and Fruit Water both of which are safe for IBS (I think--the Vitamin Water and Fruit Water contain Chrystaline Fructose, and I'm not sure about that). But, regardless, the Smart Water contains only electrolytes and it not sweetened at all.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

I'm in....sure I'd look like a dork, but new
      #188634 - 06/23/05 12:12 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

hey, the H2O factor is CRUCIAL in making my marbles into logs!! I can guarantee the more I drink, the more I poop! 9Unless I have a D day, LOL!)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

You all really drink 128 oz of water a day? new
      #188639 - 06/23/05 12:29 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I think I would be sick! I'm a C person, but I belch and get full very easily. I think if I drank this much, I would have no appetite for any food!

How do you drink this much and not get overly full for meals? I feel stuffed all the time.

Re: You all really drink 128 oz of water a day? new
      #188640 - 06/23/05 12:35 PM
epa_ginger

I do actually get pretty full when I drink a full glass of water. But it doesn't last long. I don't chug a glass before meals, but I do it a lot in between meals and it keeps me from snacking when I don't really need to and just kind of makes me feel better overall. Water definitely doesn't kill my appetite!! (I think only death will do this.)

--------------------

Sip, sip, sip! new
      #188648 - 06/23/05 01:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If I sat down and drank a full glass of water, I'd feel like a balloon! So I don't do that. I start drinking when I wake up, and I always have a drink with me at all times, and I just keep drinking all day.

I don't always get 128oz, but I definitely always drink more than 64oz... that little water would leave me feeling "funny"... not exactly dehydrated, but just kinda off.

This is defintely key! new
      #188651 - 06/23/05 01:18 PM
Linz

I get awfully full if I drink a glass in one go (it can actually cause GERDs attacks or cramps if it's at all cold), but sipping, I can quite happily drink a few glasses at a time.

Thank you, I'd forgotten about this! new
      #188656 - 06/23/05 01:23 PM
Linz

My own is always very rough...a recipe is great! Now if only I can find some potassium powder to add in, I'll be sorted!

Re: Oh, yum! new
      #188662 - 06/23/05 01:30 PM
Wind

Sea salt is so delicious, I just suck those crystalline rocks like candy. Seriously, I used to just eat the salt off the pretzel and toss it. I used to lick the rims of those margarita glasses. One of my former favourite treats--not anymore as it destroyed my tooth enamel and I paid a pretty penny for restorative bonding--was to dunk lemon and lime wedges in celtic sea salt. Oh...those salt treats of your Arabic youth sound so delicious. Ironically, I just returned from the store with two towering shakers of sea salt and like Nigella Lawson, I keep on beside my bed! I truly understand what the big deal was in India, once upon a long time ago. I hate pickles and chips and all the salty
marketed snack foods, but give me a salt shaker and some carrots or some beets--naturally high sodium things--or some chard or some spinach and I'm one happy former raw vegan forced to civilize her ways and adapt to such things as cooking and unsprouted grains! This sounds gross, but I even used to put salt on bananas! Honestly! But mostly I just suck it like hard candy. I put it on my breakfast cereal, too...puffed rice with sea salt--dry!

I'm not a sipper.... new
      #188695 - 06/23/05 02:01 PM
epa_ginger

I get bored too easily maybe?? Or impatient? Yes, I'm impatient. I drink it down and go about my business. Usually NOT cold though, and I don't get GERD, thank goodness.
One other reason I drink a lot of water is that if I don't get it enough, my skin shows it big time, especially as I get older. Now when I drink, even just 2 drinks (RARE), the next day my skin looks awful. It was enough the last time to make think I just really don't ever need to drink alcohol again!!

--------------------

You're welcome. (I think oranges are pretty high in potassium. Or is that bananas?) -nt- new
      #188727 - 06/23/05 03:20 PM
Sand

--------------------

I like your horse example posts. I still think about hooves every time I grate lemon rind. -nt- new
      #188728 - 06/23/05 03:22 PM
Sand

--------------------

LOL! I had forgotten about that- nt new
      #188744 - 06/23/05 04:15 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: Research, scientific evidence, studies... new
      #188745 - 06/23/05 04:19 PM
Syl

Hi Maria,

Nice post. Well reasoned.

"Because IBS is still not fully understood by researchers or even specialists in the field, I think water intake must vary from person-to-person depending on symptoms, activity level, and thirst."

No doubt water intake varies from person to person. However, maintaining adequate hydration balance is a fundamental process in the human body. It has evolved in all species longer than most other processes. It is well honed by evolution. Perhaps 8 x 8 is more than adequate even for IBS-C types. At least there is some research to support the notion

"Many Americans are actually chronically dehydrated without ever realizing it, and this is a huge exacerbating factor (and sometimes even the underlying cause) for constipation."

Now this is something I would like to see verified in the research literature. I have seen it in the popular literature but not in the research literature.

I have been IBS-C+ for 25 years and recently I changed to IBS-C/D. I have experimented with water level for years. Hydration at levels above 8 x 8 has not been an issue for me except in the heat, under physical exertion or illnesses; similar to what is known for normal adults.

Like you, I have been looking at the water intake research literature for some time. I have yet to find a publication that indicates water intake at a level of 16 x 8 is warranted except for situations of extreme physical exertion, heat and illness. I sure would like to know the facts

--------------------

that IS bananas! -nt- new
      #188803 - 06/23/05 09:43 PM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Dare I ask ladies? -nt- new
      #188804 - 06/23/05 09:46 PM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Sure, no secrets here. (m) new
      #188872 - 06/24/05 08:38 AM
Sand

Here's the link

--------------------

#188940 - 06/24/05 01:38 PM
MMN

Reged: 06/24/05

Does it make a big difference with your C?

#188971 - 06/24/05 04:50 PM
LLL

Reged: 01/30/03

The following cited scientific articles may be of interest to you regarding oral rehydration and the bowel:

Fibre effects on intestinal functions (diarrhoea, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome) Clinical Nutrition Supplements, Volume 1, Issue 2, 2004, Pages 33-38
Ingvar Bosaeus

Small bowel disease in the elderly: diarrhoea and malabsorption Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology, Volume 16, Issue 1, February 2002, Pages 17-36 Jörg C. Hoffmann and Martin Zeitz

Management of patients with a short bowel Nutrition, Volume 15, Issues 7-8, July-August 1999, Pages 633-637 Jeremy Mark Darby Nightingale

Acute diarrhea: a practical review The American Journal of Medicine, Volume 106, Issue 6, June 1999, Pages 670-676 Jaime Aranda-Michel and Ralph A. Giannella

Oral rehydration therapy Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Volume 64, Issue 3, 1994, Pages 477-492 M. J. G. Farthing

Yes, this is Not Sore Anymore, as a new person. Cookie issues new
      #189015 - 06/24/05 08:59 PM
Sore_No_More

Loc: Sherwoopd Park, Ab.Canada

but about the horses..hey, I'm a big fan of "if it works, use it!"

--------------------
Shannon, IBS A, happily stable! (well, mostly)

I'm kind of curious about new
      #189073 - 06/25/05 08:27 AM
Sand

why you're reacting so strongly to this issue. (I have no tone of voice to help me out here, so please take that statement as perfectly straight, with no sarcasm, irony, accusation, etc. It's just that I really am curious.)

Let's assume there is no scientific research to back up the idea of 16 8-ounce glasses of water per day - or even 8 glasses. Then Heather's suggestion of trying 128 ounces of water per day to resolve intransigent constipation is based on personal experience and anecdotal evidence. Given how poorly IBS is understood by the medical and research communities and how little effective help is available from those communities, is this advice a bad thing because it is based on anecdote and experience, rather than scientific research?

--------------------

Hear hear! -nt new
      #189085 - 06/25/05 09:47 AM
Linz

Re: I'm kind of curious about new
      #189090 - 06/25/05 10:42 AM
Sore_No_More

If I was to take my dietitian's or doctor's advice, instead of the anecdotal stuff here, I'd NEVER have my IBS as under control as I do today. i had beer and chocolate and fat yesterday, and today, nary a twinge. THAT, is what I call evidence.

--------------------

Run that one by me again new
      #189094 - 06/25/05 11:07 AM
Sand

Quote:

i had beer and chocolate and fat yesterday, and today, nary a twinge. THAT, is what I call evidence.

Do you mean by this that because the diet is so helpful you can drink beer and eat chocolate and fat occasionally (safely?) and still do okay? Or is this a new IBS diet you've discovered - in which case, I want to be on yours instead!

--------------------

Re: I'm kind of curious about new
      #189107 - 06/25/05 01:02 PM
Wind

I don't think the "unscientifically proven" nature of the advice deems it invalid. This site is all about sharing/pooling experiences and ideas and information with the purpose of IMPROVEMENT, management, growth, progress, etc. Water, fluids...it keeps things fluid, clean, moving, FLOWING internally and externally. Most living things are predominantly composed of fluid, i.e. mineral water, so it only makes sense that water is a PRIORITY. Most food is mainly composed of water, too.

Edited by Wind (06/25/05 01:03 PM)

LMBO!! new
      #189113 - 06/25/05 01:49 PM
Sore_No_More

No, that I'm stable enough to have a trigger here, a trigger there, and not have serious consequences. Small meals and probiotics are the #1 reasons I can.

--------------------

Too much water dangerous? new
      #189192 - 06/26/05 07:53 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I think I remember reading articles on this recently. Can't remember where. I will look for info online.

Google "marathon overhydration", don't use the quotes. -nt- new
      #189197 - 06/26/05 08:11 AM
Sand

--------------------

LLL - I'm seeing these as straight text. (m) new
      #189198 - 06/26/05 08:13 AM
Sand

Are they supposed to show up as links?

--------------------

Re: Google "marathon overhydration", don't use the quotes. -nt- new
      #189205 - 06/26/05 08:53 AM
epa_ginger

I wonder how this relates to just drinking water on a normal day---where you aren't sweating profusely for hours. It's also possible for infants to get "Water poisoning" too.

--------------------

Re: I'm glad I'm normal... new
      #189711 - 06/27/05 10:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

....actually there's something called a 'platypus' (sp?) which is basically a thin nylon backpack that you fill with water and with a tube coming from it that clips on to your shoulder (like a straw you can drink from). It's for biking and backpacking (and is really really handy those times). Who'd-a-thunk-it, eh? lol

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41227

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review