All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Goat milk
      #188076 - 06/22/05 04:56 AM
MomOfBoyz

Reged: 04/21/05

I know we aren't supposed to have dairy, but I feel better when I have a cup of organic goat milk a couple or three times a week. Does this mean I have something besides IBS or am I just weird? My shrink thinks I have more of a psychological problem that is making my guts go awry. My doctor says there is nothing physically wrong with my insides (not sure I completely belive that) and that I have a functional problem that is probably a combination of screwy hormones and stress. And advice? Should I stop my goat milk if it is soothing?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Goat milk new
      #188097 - 06/22/05 05:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. Firstly, your doc's decsription is nearly spot on for IBS...but it's more that there's nothing wrong that they can find! So as far as current medical knowledge goes, IBS guts don't have anything wrong with them, they just don't work properly (that's a functional disorder).

Secondly, dealing with stress is very important with controlling IBS. What are you doing for this? Have you tried yoga and/or hypno?

Thirdly, do you have reflux/acid issues? I used to find that some dairy products soothed my tum...but that was b/c I had untreated GERDs. Also, I do now find soy milk (especially with Acacia which makes it creamier) very soothing - you might want to try this instead.

#188123 - 06/22/05 06:51 AM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

Don't know about the goat milk, but I must tell you that your shrink clearly doesn't know about IBS. There is a very high comorbidity rate between people with anxiety disorders and IBS. This means that there is a high rate of people who have both issues simultaneously. Yes, your IBS will probably improve if you can become less anxious (and that's not a guarantee, but a likelihood) but that does't mean that your IBS is "all in your head" in the sense that you are imagining it or are controlling it through your anxiety levels. I just wanted to point this out to you because when someone tells you it's all in your head it can feel like you are somehow responsible for controlling your IBS and that you are just making it all happen somehow deliberately. You're not!

#188135 - 06/22/05 07:15 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Thanks for posting this! This also ignores that constant pain and gastro distress can be the CAUSE of much stress.

#188205 - 06/22/05 08:50 AM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

Exactly! I'm tired of people telling me that my anxiety is just my brain being illogical because there's nothing to be afraid of. Actually there IS sufficient reason to be anxious when at any moment I can get a D attack, and might not be able to get to a bathroom (I depend on the subway to get around, and often it stops in the tunnel for no reason and just sits there. How's that supposed to make me feel if I have to make urgent D?) That anxiety is there for a reason. I'm sorry but a good shrink will realize this right away.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 534

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review