All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need advice with SFS
      #188015 - 06/21/05 06:58 PM
NikkiM

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Albany, NY

I am an IBS-D. I started taking Metamucil (it was the first SFS my GI recommended), and I started to form, but was still in the bathroom like 10 times a day. I then tried Benefiber and Citrucel, and they both gave me more D. So, I went back to the Metamucil, but I can not seem to stay out of the bathroom on it. I thought once I formed I would start to go less. Is Metamucil not right for me? I tried increasing the Metamucil and then I was in the bathroom even more. Should I continue to try different SFS? Any advice? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need advice with SFS new
      #188048 - 06/21/05 11:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Are you making adjustments to your diet as well as taking the SFS? A good SFS is really important but it's only part of the equation. In other words, just taking an SFS is not going to stabilize you - it's no wonderdrug, but it should help.

Have you read all the stuff about diet and lifestyle for IBS on this website?

A lot of people find that Metamucil can be bloating/gas causing because of the psyllium, but if you're not getting these side effects that's good. And if it's not making you have more D (like the others you tried) then that's good too. So stick with it for a while at least to give it a chance to start working. If it's still not helping, maybe try something else. But give it time first, and definitely, definitely make sure you're keeping your diet on track too. And make sure you're drinking lots of water - that helps the SFS do its work.

You;re starting on a small dose with whatever you try, right? Also make sure that whatever you try doesn't have artificial sweeteners or citric acid (like some citrucel varities).

Seconding Laurel! new
      #188106 - 06/22/05 06:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But you may also want to try Acacia. It's so much gentler than Metamucil - I love it!

PS. Taking Immodium everyday as a preventative can also be very helpful to stabilise.

Re: Seconding Laurel! new
      #188118 - 06/22/05 06:39 AM
NikkiM

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Albany, NY

Linz,

Did you take Imodium everyday?
I ordered Acacia last night, so I am hoping that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Re: Seconding Laurel! new
      #188120 - 06/22/05 06:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I took one tablet every morning for about 6 months and it really helped. I'm actually A tho I had D then so I only needed 1, with another one for attacks....some people need more.

I sorted out my diet during those 6 months and at the end of that time I was stable and came off the Immodium with no problems!

Re: Need advice with SFS new
      #188189 - 06/22/05 08:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm IBS-D and my experience was like yours in that once I got into Heather's diet and taking an SFS (I use acacia), the twisting, cramping, liquid diarrhea attacks stopped, but my frequency and urgency were still worse than I wanted. Now, most days I have one BM and if I have two, they're morning and evening, not right after each other. I think three things have helped me get to that point.

First, longer time on the diet. I know I'm not "healing" from IBS but I do think the more time my gut has without being in an uproar, the better it's able to regulate itself. I'd definitely agree that Heather's diet is a must.

Second, an SFS. I take 8 teaspoons of acacia a day, split into 3 doses. I started with a very low dose and went up very slowly and it's working very well.

Third, Immodium. I didn't take it as a preventative and for a long time I resisted taking it regularly at all. After reading the posts on this Board, however - especially Linz' - I started taking it when I was going out. At first, I took one tablet about an hour before I left the house. That didn't do much - I'd be in the bathroom about a half-hour later. Then I started taking 1 tablet about 2 hours before I went out and another about an hour later - that worked. I still resisted taking it when I was going to be home all day, but finally figured, "Why should I be miserable at home?" and started taking Immodium if my gut felt unstable or if I had more than one BM in a short period of time. That worked, too. If I had it to do over again, I'd definitely try taking it daily - or twice daily - as a preventative for a while.

At this point, I rarely need Immodium when I'm at home. When I'm going out, I can now take just one about an hour before I go and I'm fine. A couple of times a week or so ago, I went out twice without taking anything. And, every once in a while, I have an experience where my gut says it needs to go; my mind says I'm busy, I'd like to wait a while; and my gut says yeah, sure, fine, catch you later. I haven't had that happen in years.

I see from your follow-up post that you're going to try acacia - I hope it helps. Remember that acacia has more fiber per teaspoon than most other SFS, so you almost certainly cannot just start taking the same amount of acacia as Metamucil. Instead, you want to take a dose that will give you the same amount of fiber you're getting now from Metamucil. Here's a link to Heather's Soluble Fiber FAQ where she talks about the different soluble fibers, what's in them, and how much fiber each provides. (You'll see that Metamucil has IF as well as SF, so I personally would avoid it.) And there's a sticky post near the top of the Board about acacia dosages, including switching to it from other SFS.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review