All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Has anyone else w/ IBS-C had increased bloating, gas and pain w/ acacia?
      #187919 - 06/21/05 02:04 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I had been on it for at least 9-10 months and had built up to a dose of 2 tsp upon arising, and then 3 tsp before lunch and dinner. 4 weeks ago I tapered off of it b/c I was beginning to think that it might be the reason for my my gas and bloating becoming worse as the day progressed.

I've been less bloated since being off of it on SOME days but not consistently. So, now I don't know what to think and am wondering if others w/ IBS-C have thought that the acacia made their bloating and gas worse?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone else w/ IBS-C had increased bloating, gas and pain w/ acacia? new
      #188107 - 06/22/05 06:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That was quite a high dose btw. Is a US tsp still 5ml? Cos if that was British it's the equivalent of 2.7 T a day...or 20g SF. That's ALOT. I know some C's need that much or more, but maybe you didn't?

Re: Has anyone else w/ IBS-C had increased bloating, gas and pain w/ acacia? new
      #188178 - 06/22/05 08:18 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

A tsp of acacia is 2.5g, so yes, she's taking 20g SFS a day.

I personally only take 12.5-13, and I'm a big C'er.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#188221 - 06/22/05 09:00 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The only time I had increased gas and bloating with the Acacia is while increasing dosing. However, I found out my body could only handle a total of about 18g (I take it 2 1/2 teaspoons before each meal). When I tried to take more than that, I noticed problems. So, I backed off and now have no problems.

You might want to back down the dosage a bit and see if you don't improve. I'm fine as long as I don't increase any further. Sorry you are hurting.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#188258 - 06/22/05 09:33 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I haven't noticed more bloating on acacia, but then I've been at the same dose (1 T, twice a day) for a long time. Are you getting enough fluids? Heather's newsletter this week talked about how important they are for us C'ers. Plus, summertime will dehyrate you something fierce....

--AC

I'll never understand... new
      #188467 - 06/22/05 07:32 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

why Acacia is so helpful to some, and so untolerable for others. Some swear this product has turned their lives around, while others have had horrible attacks, pain, bloat and gas form it. Some Cers say it helps...while other Cers say it makes them more C. I just don't get it. I know we are all different...but shouldn't a product that is a good, gentle SFS be safe for everyone?

Re: I'll never understand... new
      #188494 - 06/22/05 09:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

It's really the same with every SFS, Cyndy. Some people can tolerate a certain brand while others can't. That said Acacia is gentler than most brands so more people seem to be ok with it, but not everyone. Unfortunately there's no one-size-fits-all sfs

Can I just also point out here... new
      #188502 - 06/22/05 10:29 PM
Linz

...that in this instance, lithelady's problem is probably due to too high a SFS dose!

I guess I just looked at Acaca as... new
      #188514 - 06/23/05 04:59 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

another type of SF food . Therefore, I thought the body would react to it kindly and accept it as a gentle SF buffer, like all SF foods.

I guess I don't understand how a purely soluble supplement can be irritating to the body when SF foods are suppose to soothe the gut, since I was viewing the Acacia as a "food".

With this viewpoint, I can see where it might be more popular with D folks where C people might find they need something with more insoluble fiber, like psyllium, to help push things along...but I thought Acacia might be gentler and that I could get my IF from food sources instead. But again, this was with the frame of mind that Acacia was more like a safe SF food.

I don't understand the problem new
      #188515 - 06/23/05 05:04 AM
Linz

Acacia is a SFS...and the least food like one as it's almost completely SF (which has no calories as it's not absorbed)! Acacia is more widely tolerated than any other SFS available. HOWEVER, with IBS, you can find someone who is intolerant of pretty much anything!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review