All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Phayzyme vs. chewable Gas-X?
      #187530 - 06/20/05 02:22 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Gas X does nothing for me anymore except give me something to chew for a few seconds. Is Phayzyme any stronger? Does it help?

It's not painful gas, just annoying and I can't drink fennel tea ALL the time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Phayzyme vs. chewable Gas-X? new
      #187544 - 06/20/05 03:22 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

Various things work for me.
Since cutting out wheat bran and reducing my dairy intake, my gas has significantly reduced. Also, I've discovered Beano works well for me and helps keep at least the smelly gas away. I try to take it with the first bite when I eat garlic, or broccoli or any of the high sulfur foods.
Fennel is great after the meal, but you don't always feel like bothering with the process. That's when I take the gas X or Phazime. Any more this is a rare thing. I also drink lots of mint tea, (and some raspberry or blueberry) which all come in bags. Just discoverd camomile too. Somehow I haven't taken many of my Pep caps. The instructions: take on an empty stomach an hour before the meal, or immediately before seem to stop me from taking them???
Although I say to plenty individuals "farting is part of a natural process: why are we so embarassed by it?" ,(some families even consider the word as swearing), I am so afraid of making a noise in public that it is detrimental to my health. When I stop it, it only becomes worse as it is then accompanied by mucas, which makes it even more fearful to let go, because then there can be more evidence of the fart.
Flatulence is not permitted to women, yet males can get away with it!! In this wonderful time of freedom for individuals, why do women not allow themselves this 'luxury'?
Why do we restrict ourselves, and why can't I fart silently?????

#187546 - 06/20/05 03:34 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can't help on the meds as I don't use any, but I was wondering if anyone has tried chewing fennel seeds? Sounds pretty yucky but it'd be more portable than tea!

#187643 - 06/20/05 06:57 PM
Snorkie

I chew them sometimes. It tastes better than the tea but I think the tea works better. I keep some fennel at work, so that's when I usually chew it.

#187656 - 06/20/05 07:09 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

i like your attitude!!
as long as i'm not sitting in a small space with others (out of consideration, not embarrassment) why suffer?
i find that gas-x pills work ok for me, never tried the chewables, phazyme not so great.
what it comes down to is this-- it really depends (for me) on the strength of the gas pill. Phazyme only comes in 1 strength i think, but i find the maximum extra strength gas-x to work better.

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

ROFLMAO new
      #187664 - 06/20/05 08:14 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Flatulence is not permitted to women, yet males can get away with it!! In this wonderful time of freedom for individuals, why do women not allow themselves this 'luxury'?
Why do we restrict ourselves, and why can't I fart silently?????
I love your comments. I'm still giggling over it! I have a dear friend who forbids that word (fart) to be used by her family....give me a break. Thanks for the chuckle and I hope I get over thinking the world of all those around me will end if they hear me pass gas. Thank you, thank you

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#187666 - 06/20/05 08:35 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I always take no name, generic brand extra strength gas relief caps. They are just simethicone. They are ALOT cheaper than Phayzyme and Gas-X and work really well for me and my gas pains are horrible at times.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

A funny rule in our house... new
      #187717 - 06/21/05 07:46 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

My husband and I have been married almost 20 years and other than when one "slips" we don't fart in front of each other! Isn't that funny? It has been this unspoken rule in our house.

My son is forbidden to "poof" (a word he brought with him when we adopted him as a toddler) in front of us because he could wilt an oak tree with his lethal gas!

My daughter is somewhat proper despite being a major tomboy and she won't fart in front of us...too funny.

We are not a "hung-up stepford family" or anything like that, we just don't "poof" in front of each other!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: LMAO - we let it rip with no remorse ...... new
      #187752 - 06/21/05 08:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My husband and I have no qualms about farting in each other's presence. It's somewhat comforting to know that you don't have to hide it. Especially me, who can outfart my husband anytime. My children (ages 2 and 4) even say "mommy fart" when I let one go.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#187761 - 06/21/05 09:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

None of these medications will reduce the volume of gas you have, it will only work to help break up the bubbles and make it less painfull and easier to pass! I take 4-6 gas-x a day!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Farting ettiquette new
      #187763 - 06/21/05 09:07 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I once saw a show with MISS MANNERS as the guest and her rule of thumb/ettiquette re: farting in public was to "look to your left."

I love those noxious, silent but deadly ones that nobody claims! I just can't stop laughing when they emanate from me. Some let them rip, but mine have no sound.

Sorry, just being silly. Being organic beings, we are composed of solids, liquids, and GASES with attitude--and other things, of couse.

Re: Farting ettiquette - and then some.... new
      #187773 - 06/21/05 09:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I can control my farts in public so that they're silent... can you?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#187778 - 06/21/05 09:27 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yep. Except, I have this tendency to look to my right and slightly above others when this occurs. I should probably check one of my old psyche texts to verify if there's anything associated with the direction of looking--eye path--and obviously attempting to conceal something. Sometimes, it's just air. And other times they are silent, but deadly. Bad breath of the colon? Can I bum and altoid anyone? Aren't those peppermint caps. soothing? I think it's butt-lip muscles at hard work...vibrating and reverberating like a tuba player. When I don't eat anything exceptionally stinky they don't smell as obvious. RICE is really good for internal odour-eating, among other things, I think.

#187796 - 06/21/05 10:03 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, I can do silent ones! Lol! But when I'm home alone--I startle the cat. When bf's around, I try to be polite and head to the bathroom; he does the same. Lately, the gas and bloating have been reduced quite a bit; I think it has to do with this diet (reduces amount of gas) and eating soy yogurt (reduces the odor).

Once, when my sister was younger, she farted in the toy aisle at some store. I recognized it as hers right away, silent but deadly, but I didn't say anything. She, however, said, "Okay, someone farted!" trying to pass the blame onto someone else! Good move, I thought.

#187804 - 06/21/05 10:12 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've noticed the Phayzyme helps with bloating and making the gas easier to pass, but as someone else mentioned it doesn't reduce the amount of gas you have. I've also used fennel tea and even chewed on fennel seeds, which had the same effect, I think, as the Phayzyme. The seeds didn't really taste bad, but the texture was unpleasant. Right now, I think the diet and SFS has been much more helpful as well as figuring out my personal triggers and avoiding them the best I can. Of course, it isn't a quick fix. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to immediately reduce gas.

#187815 - 06/21/05 10:45 AM
Snorkie

Lately, I've been drinking fennel tea or just waiting out. I know meds won't make the gas go away. It's not even painful gas. It's just the annoying sort that you can feel rolling around in there, know what I mean? I just wondered if Phazime was any better. Gas-X does nothing for me anymore. Thanks for the tips, though. I think I'll give Phazime a try.

I am SUCH a prude.... new
      #188029 - 06/21/05 08:31 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've known DH now for 8 years, been married for 4 1/2 and he's heard me fluff once, when he tickled me too hard. Otherwise I hang on till I get to a loo I just get SO embarrassed by my own bodily functions. Meanwhile he feels free to let rip on an hourly basis around me no matter what sound or scent he leaves hanging in the atmosphere! Me, I just can't do it Causes me great pain sometimes!

--------------------
Amy

#188034 - 06/21/05 08:54 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

I have always been worried about the gas I pass. I cannot control it when I have gas in the tummy so every time I get up it comes out automatically and I am embarresed by it. Sometimes while walking or just standing it keeps coming out in bits with a reasonable noise and I am uncomfortable as at work I really dont know how to control it. So at a time like this I try to get out of my room so no one will hear. However at home I just let go. At nights I pass gas in my sleep so next morning my son tells me that I was rocket launching the whole night. When I pass gas loudly like this I feel good but it is OK when no one is around. I have managed to control this by not eating food that causes gas.

#274675 - 07/19/06 05:00 AM
pinto7416

Reged: 11/23/05

I can relate to all of that. I'm new to eating for IBS. I stay away from brocolli, but don't know what foods trigger my gas. Is wheat one? I may have to eliminate that for a while and see. What are some things I can eliminate to reduce the gas? Sometimes at work I have gas that rumbles and ends in my lower intestine but doesn't escape entirely. It's like a muffled stomach burp and unmistakably not a hunger sound. I'm a social feax pas waiting to happen!

#274677 - 07/19/06 05:11 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I've never been shy about farting or burping around others; I just politely excuse myself. But in the last oh I'd say three months or so, my gas has been painful and/or really stinky. What's worse is it feels like I have to go because of that trapped gas, but nothing but gas comes out. Speaking of painful gas, I'm having some right now. I don't have anything other than these Rolaids Soft Chews Anti-Gas, and some bread. I sometimes will use bread thinking maybe it's a hunger issue and I'm gassy cuz I'm hungry. I dunno. It's really NOT fun and I agree with JustMe, the whole IBS thing sometimes just makes me wanna cry, sometimes out of pain, sometimes out of frustration, sometimes cuz of both.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: A funny rule in our house... new
      #274863 - 07/19/06 05:13 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

LOL, too funny. At our house, hubby and I both just let 'em rip whenever we feel the need. And make jokes about 'em! Sometimes even (discreetly) while out and about, too! I guess that's not very polite.

But If you can't "fluff" at home (cute downunder word!), where can you? You'd never know I grew up in a home where everyone would be mortified if gas was audibly passed.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#274886 - 07/19/06 07:15 PM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

so if wheat may be a trigger.. then thats even more things to exclude from my diet... no bread... no dairy.. no soy.. what do i eat? white rice white rice and more white rice?

I have seen new
      #274888 - 07/19/06 07:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

my husband actually lift upwards when he lets one go. And he is always surprised to hear me if I do. "I have IBS," I say to him, "what are you looking shocked for?"

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#274893 - 07/19/06 07:30 PM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

so gas-x and phayzyme do the same thing?

#274917 - 07/20/06 05:25 AM
Snorkie

Yep. I've found they both work about the same for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1915 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5126

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review