All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Meat Question
      #186700 - 06/16/05 12:45 PM
bergette5

Reged: 06/16/05
Loc: USA

I'm a newbie here, and I am so glad I happened upon this website. I always felt like I was doing something wrong not being able to eat salads and other "healthy" foods. People told me it was all in my head, and now i know it's not. Thank God! Anyway, my question is: I know that red meat is on the no no list, but I never have a problem with it, as long as it is lean, like sirloin or flank steaks. Does anyone else find this to be true?

--------------------
If I can handle being an Army Wife, I can handle IBS!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meat Question new
      #186701 - 06/16/05 12:50 PM
MaxS

Reged: 06/12/05

Same here. I have eaten steaks without having any trouble. I don't think I am as sensitive to meat/dairy products as some but in high amounts they get me.

For example, If I have a slice of pizza, I'm fine. But if I have a milk shake with chocolate, caramel, etc, I die.

Hmmm new
      #186733 - 06/16/05 01:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, this is fine if you guys are stable, but if you're not, then you ARE making yourselves worse. Even the triggers that don't cause attacks can perpetuate the day-to-day IBS. You really HAVE to get rid of all triggers until you're stable...then push your own boundaries.

#186763 - 06/16/05 04:14 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I have serious issues with even lean beef, but for some reason, venison (deer), does not mess with me.

But Linz is right. If you're not stable, stay away from the red meat. Why take chances when things are iffy? Anymore, to me, it's just not worth the potential misery.

#186778 - 06/16/05 07:08 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

humans actually do not need to eat meat--there are plenty of meat-substitutes that work just as fine so long as you take care during their preperation.

its actually stressed [here on heathers site] that meat has no fiber in it whatsoever, so eating it isnt going to help improve the IBS. the same goes for dairy/egg products as well

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#186858 - 06/17/05 07:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

White meat poultry (chicken and turkey), all seafood, and egg whites are IBS-safe according to Heather. As always, be careful to eat them after soluble fiber.

All other meats, egg yolks, and all dairy are IBS triggers according to Heather. It is safest to eliminate them from your diet altogether.

BTW, I agree with Linz: continuing to eat triggers before you're stable is a slippery slope. For an excellent post on the problem with including any trigger foods in your diet before you're stable, you might want to take a look at this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Eating chicken, fish, and egg whites... new
      #186862 - 06/17/05 07:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

don't require eating an SF before hand, I don't think.

I think you only need to eat a safe SF food before Insoluble fiber foods.

For example, Heather's EFI book gives egg white omelete as a breakfast option without having a SF food before, doesn't she?

I think you only need to eat a safe SF food before Insoluble fiber foods.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

A Meaty Subject new
      #186869 - 06/17/05 08:11 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Red meat is a major IBS trigger. However, like you, I thought it didn't bother me ... as long as I ate lean red meat.

Was I wrong! Even though red meat didn't appear to affect me in an obvious direct sort of way, I felt much better overall when I removed it from my diet. It has been gone from my diet for two years now and I don't even miss it!

Red meat is not good for you -- whether or not you have IBS. The consumption of it has been connected to many health problems.

Also, if you remove both red meat and milk products from your diet, it's believed you will not suffer bone loss and be prone to osteoperosis in later life. It appears the combination of these two foods causes people to have difficulty retaining calcium levels and hence they lose bone density. The proof for this is in Third World Countries where people eat very little red meat and milk products and don't seem to get osteoperosis.

Re: Eating chicken, fish, and egg whites... new
      #186888 - 06/17/05 09:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's my understanding that Heather recommends eating only Soluble Fiber on an empty stomach. So I eat SF before I eat anything else, whether it's IF or protein.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/17/05 09:18 AM)

#186900 - 06/17/05 09:44 AM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

I have pretty much cut it out to help my IBS, but very occasionally I'll have some form of high quality organic beef (I had a small piece of marinated grilled flank steak last week for example). I do this maybe once every three or four months, and no, it does not seem to be a trigger, but this could be majorly due to the fact that I am only having it in serious moderation. If you are still experiencing IBS symptoms and frequently eating lean meat, you may still be reacting to this lean meat. I'm no expert, but I think it would make sense to stop eating it completely for a while, and then attempt to have some on a rare occasion (no pun intended) if you really want it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review